Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^hello^

For the past 4 - 5 weeks  (ish) we have been giving Zak a dream feed at around midnight, he only takes about 3 oz but it has helped enormously to take him through the night. He has his bath and bottle at about 7pm then goes straight to sleep through til almost 7 am but with the dream feed.

Does anyone have any advise on how/when to stop the feed as it would be lovely to go to bed with Nay at the same time and have an early night for a change  ;)

He eats really good through the day now too which is why I was thinking of stopping them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Shezza ^monkey^

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
24 Posts
We did this with my daughter until she was about 4-5 months old. We woke her at 11pm and gave her 4oz feed and then she would sleep until 7am. Gradually she seemed to get annoyed at being woken so we risked leaving her and she still went through the night so she sort of told us when she was ready.
If you are keen to stop or worried it could become a habit rather than a need for your baby you could always dilute the night feed gradually ie 2 scoops of powder to 3 of water then 1 scoop to 3oz of water until it is virtually just warm water but check with a Health Visitor first that this is O.K for your baby.
This was our plan B - apparently babies get fed up waking up for a feed that isn't satisfying and just sleep through - well that's the theory anyway!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Izzy,

Thanks for your reply.

We don't actually wake Zak for this feed but we have noticed that he is getting more and more agitated when he is taking it, he wakes more when his daddy does it but I think thats cos I am a bit more gentler  :)

I think what we are gonna do is just not give him this feed one night and see what happens  :p but it's gotta be a night when Nay isn't working the next day as it could be a wakeful night  ;)

I am at the clinic for a weigh tomorrow so I will ask h/v then too!

Thanks again

^Heart^

Shezza ^monkey^

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hiya Shezza

How did you get on today??

jxx

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya

I have asked the h/v bout dropping this feed and she said she would prefer us to leave it as it is for a few more weeks as Zak has decided he only wants 4 feeds through the day so she thinks the dream feed is topping him up!!

So I guess thats fine with us for the time being, just need to try to adjust the time when I am making up his bottles etc.

Gotta dash his lordship just woke  up  ;D

Shezza ^monkey^

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^hello^

Well, we decided to try to stop the dream feeds last thursday night to see what happened and guess what..............

he sleeps straight through  :eek: ;D 12 hours and sometimes 13 hours. So I guess he dint really need the feed through the night afterall!!!

One more question though, (if I may) I was thinking of starting with the baby rice next week but my SIL has said to wait til he tells me he is ready ( how??) Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hope you all ok!

Loads of love always

Shezza ^monkey^

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dear Shezza the advice from the department of health has just changed and they recommend that weaning should not be started until 6 months. Previously parents were advised that they could start at 4 months which is about 20 weeks any earlier and the digestive system doesn't cope well. As for him letting you know, if he starts to wake in the night hungry or needs more feeds during the day then it shows he is getting hungrier. I would hold off for as long as I could if I were you
Cheers
Andrea

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Shezza

The advice is now 6 months for weaning however, my hv has said that really each week past 16 is a bonus so if Alex needs to just do it.  We have agreed that the time is probably going to be right when she wakes in the night wanting a feed because she is not getting what she needs through milk. 

Clare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.