Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance or advice or both!!

My DD is only 2 weeks old but i am considering trying to start getting her in to a bit of a routine!

At the moment she is feeding every 3 - 4 hours in the day and is going as much as 8 hours at night with out a feed! She has her last bottle between 7 and 8pm and then wont wake for another feed until 3am, goes back down and wakes at around 7am!

The 7am waking is perfect as thats what we were going to start doing anyway!

My question is when giving a dream feed how much do you give? DD currently takes 4oz bottles! Also if you gave dreamfeeds did you find better to do it at 10pm or 11pm? I think nearer 11pm would be better for her then she may go through til about 6am!

What do you think, am i making sense or just rambling? I am so new to this  ::)

Thanks

Liz x x x

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
TBH at this age I would feed on demand as I think it's too young to be in a routine but others may disagree. We started a routine at about 8 weeks or so & started a dream feed then. DS would have bath, bottle, bed about 7.30-8pm & then a dream feed when DH came to bed - anywhere from 11pm onwards.

HTH?

Gill
x

·
Registered
316 Posts
I started a dream feed around 6 weeks and it didn't help. It probably made things worse as she then woke herself regularly for feeds because she was used to me waking her to feed.

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ladies!!

I am going to try and start a routine in a few time i think!!

I will do the dream feeds then! Until then i think we shall continue with what we are doing!

Thanks again

Liz x x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi Lizzy,

I give L a dreem feed at 11pm. In the day he hasbetween 6-8oz bottles but on his dreem feed will only take between 3-4oz so we just make a bottle up for that on a night.

It could be a little early to introduce a dreem feed but there is no harm in trying it and see how you go. I introduced mine as L was waking at 1am and 4am, he then dropped the 1am feed and has now dropped the 4am feed.

You might find in a few weeks time say around 8-9 weeks she will drop the 3am feed by herself

Nikki xx

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
It sounds like she's doing brilliantly already.  :)

If she's only waking up once a night for a feed at 3am, I'd tend to leave it at that for a few weeks longer, before imposing your own schedule on her. By introducing the dream feed too young, you might be making a rod for your own back. And like Nikki says, she might well drop the 3am feed herslef, so you wouldn't even have a need for the dream feed.

All the best
Jo xx

·
Registered
990 Posts
sounds like you are doing fab even after just 2weeks (i'ts alway daunting when ur a 1st time mum).  Maisy was bottle fed every 3-4hrs til she was about 6wks and then by herself she slept through about 7-8hrs and it didn't stop (both of us woke up one morning and had to ask each other if the other one had got up to see to her), she was 4mths by the time she had a disturbed nights sleep where we had to give a bottle (3 times I think we have had to do this).  She is now coming upto 7mths and 95% of the time will sleep right through from 8.15pm to 7.30am (bliss).

We sort of fell into a routine from 6wks and we keep doing so what with weaning etc etc ! I am sure alot of people will say this too.

Hope you get on OK,
Ju

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I must be the only person who didn't get any joy out of dreamfeeding!!  :( ;D ;D

C just saw it as another feed so that was very quickly dropped. I kept on feeding on demand until he was about 2mths old when I was able to get him to go 4hrly between bottles as this was what he was doing during the night anyway. C used to go anything from 10mins to 2hrs between feeds at 2wks old!!

Even now, C is a very noisy, disruptive sleeper and is often wide awake at 3am, despite being almost fully weaned!!

I would be inclined to carry on as you are going now. I would have KILLED for a pattern like that over night at 2wks old!!  ;D ;D ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts