Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls, I was hoping someone would be able to give us some advice.
We went to our la's information evening last week and they were really pushing this dual registration, it means we would be on the adoption registrar and the foster register. We are afraid to go for it as we want to adopt but we thought that if we said that we would do this that we would either get a lot of foster children and not have a chance to adopt, or it would give us a better chance to adopt quicker.

I hope this makes sense, we would really appreciate any help!!

LOL Keli

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi!

We are being dual registered.  Being approved as a fosterer as well as apotpter generally means that you will be approved as a 'foster to adopt' parent.  Meaning you will only ever foster the child /children that you want to adopt but you will have them as a foster child for a few months until their legal paperwork goes through 'freeing' them for adoption.  then you can go on to adopt them once they are free to be adopted.  So you shouldn't, theoretically, have any child you are not planning to adopt.  our agency dual registers everyone - to give you the option of taking a child who has not yet been legally freed (eg young babies under 1 year).

Only 'downside' to fostering to adopt is that the child may not be freed for adoption quickly or even at all (v. uncommon) and you may end up being a long term foster parent to the child and never an adoptive parent.  there is alos a remote chance that the child will be taken from you if freeing doesn't go ahead - to allow you to be matched with another child for adoption or to give that child a better long term foster situation.

hope this helps
Magenta

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Keli

I've posted you a link on the main thread where there was some discussion about this.  It is also called concurrent planning.  Hope the link is of some help.

Good luck
Karen x

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hi

Just to reply to Karen's message - sounds like concurrent planning - SORRY but it doesn't sound like that to me.

If what Magenta has posted is correct & I'm sure it is, the purpose of dual registration is not like concurrent planing.

I've done concurrent planning & the whole aim of the scheme is to try to reeducate the bp's in order for them to get their child back living with them.  If they fail to meet the "tasks" set by SW or make no improvement's then the child will be adopted by the concurrent carer.

Sorry - not posted for a while or would have replied sooner.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Andrea
xx :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Superal

Thanks for the message, I have read the concurrent planning thread again, and I do think that is not the same thing as that is not what was described to us on our info evening.
Magenta is doing the same thing as what we have now decided to do, and I think that is the right way for us to go.
Thanks again for the help and I hope to get to know you better as time goes on.

LOL Keli

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.