Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been told its looking like e/c will be on monday (I can think of more enjoyable ways to spend my bank holiday!!! ::))
Im not so worried about this as i will be well out of it. Thing is the e/t part is terrifying for me for some reason. I ve been known to faint when I have a smear but have been fine through all the stimms scans.
Just wondered if anyone would share their experience of e/t with me...or post a link.
thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Jph,

It is true what most people are saying that it is very similar to a smear test. I hope this is not too disheartening for you. They need to clean up the vaginal passage well to make a clean path for your embies so that they aren`t affected by anything. This clean up process only takes 2-3 minutes, once that is done the lovely part happens when your embies are replaced with the thin catheter which you don`t even feel. I find this moment very emotional. Oh and my clinic puts on soft soothing music during this process to make you relax. All the staff are lovely on the day. We were shown our embies swimming in the dish on a screen just before transfer. How amazing this was!

All in all, you have come this far, I`m sure you can go all the way!

Good luck!
Roses xxxx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Hi hun, didn't want to read and run.

It's really important that you tell them how nervous you are - it will help with how they look after you.  Have you tried rescue remedy? I took it all through my txs and it really helped.  I always got myself excited about ET as, regardless of what happens later, you are technically pregnant at that point in time!  

other than that some deep breathing exercises can help - if you are concentrating on breathing and focussing on the in-out of your breath, it is virtually impossibly to tense up!! Get dh to distract you as much as possible and maybe talk through some breathing with you?

My ETs have always been ok - except for the last one having a desperate urge to poo!! I suffer from irritable bowel, and without going into too much detail (yuck!) i DESPERATELY needed to get on a loo - and it would have been very nasty if i hadn't.  somehow, i managed to do that without emptying my bladder!!! ;D I have no idea how... i don't think i could do it again!!!

As Roses says - it is lovley particularly if you get to see your embies - dh took a photo of ours on his phone, so i have a picture of my beautiful little girl when she was just a 3 day embie!! :)

Good luck hun - you will be fine.  Hope it goes well for you hun. ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
JPH
Like RosesAreRed says it's very like having a smear only I can't remember a smear ever being so painless, I normally feel everything at smear time, but with E/T I felt absolutely nothing and I watched the scan screen and saw my babies being put inside my womb. It's all so lovely, try not to worry about it hun, you'll be fine!!
G x x

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Jph, I agree with Sallly about letting them know about your previous smears and about how nervous you are about ET. I`m sure they will do everything they can to make you feel relaxed and at ease with it, especially on the day!! But, do let them know how you are feeling. xxx

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for all your replies.. you ve helped me feel loads better :)
I think im having a bit of a panic cos it all seems a bit more real now. the e/c  e/t part seemed ages away when i first started tx but all of a sudden time has flown past. i just hope and pray that its all worth it.
good luck to you all wherever you are and thanks again. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You are welcome Jph,

I know how finally getting to EC/ET can suddenly hit you in the face. SO it`s all normal how you are feeling. Keep an open mind, as we can only know the outcome by trying!!

^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
jph - check with your clinic first about this hun - just to make sure that they are comfortable with it...... but my "secret" is to take 1 paracetomol an hour before ET, it just takes the edge off of the discomfort (but as the others have said, it really isn't as bad as we imagine, it's just the thought of it hey)...... Good Luck and Best Wishes  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ :-* :-*

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Hi hun i thought both egg collection and tranfer were ok, the sedation for egg collection was great, egg transfer just feels a bit invasive cause you are awake, but not painful hun.

Hope this will reassure you.

XX C

·
Registered
125 Posts
My e/c was a breeze.  As they all say, just like a smear test.  I was a bit tender as my ovaries are swollen, but its a walk in the park compared to the injections, mood swings etc.  Plus you are doing such a wonderful thing.  The only thing I was really worried about was waiting to hear the quality of the eggs.  I only had 5 collected, only 2 fertilised but both were good quality so I shouldn't have wasted energy worrying about that either.

Have you considered trying some acupuncture.  It is supposed to really help.  It's a bit of a *** as you have to go pre and post transfer, but it did relax me.

Good luck with both of your procedures, you will do great.

·
Registered
868 Posts
jph,

Surely you had a trial embryo transfer!  I had my treatment at one hospital that satelites to The Bridge in London, I had my EC at the local hosp and then went for my transfer in London.  My consultant did a trial embryo transfer before I started down regging to make sure I could tolerate it!

The only thing I was concerned about was peeing in the doc's face as my bladder was so full.  It was nothing like a smear as far as I can remember.  i
I'm sure you'll be fine - sending you lots of  ^fairydust^ for continued success with your treatment.

FG

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all you replies.

been back to the clinic this morning and e/c is booked for tuesday. i feel much calmer after hearing your stories and am now very excited.

FG - I was supposed to have a mock embryo transfer afetr one of my scans but on the day I was by myself and as I have been known to faint at a smear they decided against it!!! :-[

at the moment i have around 20 follicles ranging from 20mm down to 13 mm. think this is good??
only ONE MORE DAY of injections to go ;D woohoo
also ive been having acupuncture and have booked a treatment before and after e/t so hopefully that shoul relax me a bit

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Jph,

Great news about EC! Sounds like a good number of follies there ;) . There will always bound to be some smaller ones but they will still do some growing until your last injection. They usually like follies to be minimum 18mm before collection so you will have plenty until EC. So all looking good ;)

^goodluck^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts