Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Some background: I am 37, was diagnosed with stage 3 endo in Feb 2003 (totally unexpected - it has been 'silent'), one tube totally blocked, the other almost totally blocked. Referred for IVF to the Aberdeen Fertility Center. Have been trying since Feb 2002.

I just went through my first IVF cycle, from 3 follicles (I responded poorly) we got 3 eggs and all 3 fertilised. 2 top quality 4-celled embryos were transferred at 2 days post retrieval.

I got a +ve on Clearblue at 10 days past 2 day transfer (got a -ve Clearblue 8 days past transfer so the HCG trigger was gone from my system by then). 2 days ago (12 days past transfer) I began bleeding and yesterday my HCG came back at 15 with a -ve Clearblue. Looks like my HCG was already dropping by this point. Oddly enough I've had no cramping at all, even tho' I have been passing some clots & lumps of stuff that don't look like clots.

So, basically I did have some success, even though it didn't last long. I was told my odds of success for the first cycle were about 15-20%. Because I had some success this time, do my odds go up a little for the next cycle? Looking for some hope here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Paula. Just my luck to choose a time when Peter is away.

I did remember seeing something about this but it has taken me until today to track it down. May be of interest to you too.

Early pregnancy loss in in vitro fertilization (IVF) is a positive predictor of subsequent IVF success
Bates GW, Ginsburg ES. Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Objective: To determine the significance of biochemical pregnancy losses and clinical spontaneous abortion (SAB) on outcomes of future IVF cycles.Design: Retrospective cohort study.Setting: Academic IVF program.Patient(s): Women with a history of unsuccessful IVF attempts undergoing IVF.Intervention(s): None.Main Outcome Measure(s): Clinical pregnancy rate.Result(s): Patients with an early pregnancy loss had a greater ongoing clinical pregnancy rate in the immediate next cycle when compared with those women who had a negative pregnancy test (37.3% vs. 27.3%). Patients with a history of a biochemical pregnancy or a clinical spontaneous abortion had an ongoing clinical pregnancy rate in the next cycle of 38.4% and 42.3%, respectively, compared with 27.3% in women who had a history of a negative pregnancy test. The cumulative pregnancy rate after the first IVF attempt was 54.1% in patients with a previous biochemical pregnancy loss, 61.4% in those with a previous clinical SAB, and 46.5% in women with a previous negative pregnancy test. Conclusion(s): Women who experience an early pregnancy loss after IVF have a greater likelihood of success in subsequent IVF cycles when compared with patients who fail to conceive.
Also there is this table.... from a book I have.

IVF Cycles~Patients~Pregnancies per transfer (no & %)~Cumulative Pregnancy rate (%)~
1~486~119 (25)~25~
2~229~66 (29)~47~
3~114~32 (28)~62~
4~60~20 (33)~75~
5~26~9 (35)~83~
6~10~3 (30)~88~
7~5~2 (40)~93~

Source: Dr J Garcia of the Greater Baltimore Hospital. Journal of Fertility & Sterility (1989)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too darn right! I'm getting too old for all this messing about.... ;D

Good luck Paula!

·
Registered
856 Posts
LadyP said:
Hi,

Some background: I am 37, was diagnosed with stage 3 endo in Feb 2003 (totally unexpected - it has been 'silent'), one tube totally blocked, the other almost totally blocked. Referred for IVF to the Aberdeen Fertility Center. Have been trying since Feb 2002.

OK

I just went through my first IVF cycle, from 3 follicles (I responded poorly) we got 3 eggs and all 3 fertilised. 2 top quality 4-celled embryos were transferred at 2 days post retrieval.

Good, any freezing?

I got a +ve on Clearblue at 10 days past 2 day transfer (got a -ve Clearblue 8 days past transfer so the HCG trigger was gone from my system by then). 2 days ago (12 days past transfer) I began bleeding and yesterday my HCG came back at 15 with a -ve Clearblue. Looks like my HCG was already dropping by this point. Oddly enough I've had no cramping at all, even tho' I have been passing some clots & lumps of stuff that don't look like clots.

So, basically I did have some success, even though it didn't last long. I was told my odds of success for the first cycle were about 15-20%. Because I had some success this time, do my odds go up a little for the next cycle?

Yes, a near miss like this often increases the overall chances.

Good luck!!

Peter

Looking for some hope here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for confirming what I thought. ;D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts