Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Don't know whether anyone can help?? I've just had my 6 week scan following BFP on 6th Oct and the Dr saw two pregnancy sacs but no heart beats - in fact no nothing as far as I could tell.  She said that this didn't necessarily mean the worst but has asked me to return in 7 days for another scan.  Is it normal not to see anything or should there at least be something even if there isn't a heart beat??? I'm feeling really confused and scared.  She said the sacs measured 5wks and 3 days and 5wks and 5 days if that means anything to anyone.

Please help me try to understand whats going on,

Bloggs

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi there Blogs

I am not a nurse but can confirm that it is unusual to see a heartbeat before 6 wks and 4 days. So no definately not bad news. The neasuring of the sacs is done generally by volume. When we are so newly pg there is some degree in the error of measurement as the bub is only about 6 mm in length and the ultrasound is very acurate but not quite that accurate esp when it is subject to the position of your uterus etc.

Hope this helps and puts your mind at rest. Good luck for the scans next week. Let us know how you go and look after those little babies of yours,

Megan

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hi Bloggs

6 weeks is considered the earliest that they can see a heartbeat - or so I am told.  At my 6 week scan they failed to detect a heartbeat - I was devastated to say the least.  However, I had to go back 1 week later for a rescan and there was the most perfect heartbeat I have seen (in my purely biased opinion).

Good luck and hope you survive your horrid week

Clare

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I have heard of many women who had a scan before 6w4d and didnt see a h/b, but like Clare, there was a perfect heartbeat there a week later (and yes clare, I'm with you, I bet it was b****y fantastic!  :)
When I was preg, they wouldnt measure the foetal sack at 6 weeks, as the nurse said even 1/2mm could make the baby a few days younger/older and it wasnt worth the stress to the mother.
Hope that helpd you somewhat, and good luck fo rnext week!

Marie xx

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi
i too had two sacs and one had a little blob in it and a h/b but the other sac was so tiny the nurse didnt even really bother to examine it.she said it might turn into something but it might just dissolve. she didnt sound very optimistic about it.

i wasnt too bothered as i knew i had one with h/b. two weeks later and there were 2 with heatbeats. the second measured 14mm and the first was 16mm so it had really caught up.

dont give up yetxxxxxxxxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for your encouragement, it really means alot.  I'm in such a state at the moment, one minute feeling positive and the next desperate that alls lost.  This week feels like its going to be a nightmare to get through.

I think if the Dr had seen a couple of "blobs" inside I might be more hopefull but there was nothing.  Mind you, queen of Sheba, your post just goes to show you never know. Heres keeping everything crossed.

Thanks again, Bloggs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts