Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!  I'm new to registering to the site and just wondered if anyone had been affected by the closure of services at East Surrey Hospital?

We need to have IVF/ICSI and don't meet NHS Criteria so need to go private and so have been given the option of going to Crawley Hospital instead as it is in the same trust.  Just wondered if anyone had any experience of Crawley as I'm just about to make our 1st private appointment. 

Now we have finally got this point I seem to be dithering .....

Cheers
Renée
:-\ :-\

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hi
I also didn't meet nhs criteria (too young), also we weren't prepared to wait.  I got my gp to send a letter to woking nuffield as if you are paying you can choose to go anywhere so I based my decision on the fact they were 2nd best at the time (not sure about now)  Have a look at the hfea website it has all the stats olf all the private clinics and take it from there.  I was told mayday-croydon was  a local option (I beleive this is the nhs clinic too for this area)

it is worth doing your research first as if you are paying it is important to feel you have made the right decision.

good luck strawbs xx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strawbs

Will have another look again at Woking Nuffield as when I 1st looked I didn't think they did what we needed: IVF/ISCI.  Crawley and East Surrey use The Bridge for the actual procedure so that is the option through our trust.

Thank you!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi renloudrew  :) :) :)

I'm new to FF and I just noticed that you live in the same area as me - I've recently had my 1st appointment at St Helier Hospital in Carshalton. When I went to the doc Crawley wasn't an option. How are you finding it there? I hope you're getting on really well.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hi renloudrew

I think pretty much everywhere does ICSI, certainly Woking Nuffield do.  So just to reiterate, if you are paying you have a choice of anywhere.  Your trust may try to encourage you to go somewhere within its boundaries, as that means its money coming in for them, but you have completely free choice.  When deciding you should look at the sucess rates for your age group, consider any special situations you have like high FSH, and think about how easy it will be to get to and from appointments.  You can look on these boards for the clinic you're thinking of and see if there are any comments about how things run, whether appointments are usually on time or late or whatever (if that's important to you).  I would even advise having a consult with more than one clinic, just to make sure you are completely happy.

You will need a referral from your GP - but this is to confirm your medical difficulties, its not for your GP to give you 'permission' to go wherever.

Good luck with your choice and treatment.

Sencybil x

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'd second the advice of looking on the HFEA website for the success levels of different clinics.  We went with The Bridge last year as it had a high success rate and was also convenient for us to get to.  We did go and look around a couple of other places in London, too (I think it's a good idea to meet the people first and get a feel for the place and ask all your questions).  I was pleased to have had the wonderful embryologists at the Bridge, though they are chaotic in terms of their paperwork!

How's the decision-making going?

xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts