Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Ec question

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  peter 
#1 ·
Hi Peter - I had EC today (for the first time). At both my scans I was showing about 10-12 follicles on my right side and 2 on my left ovary. However they only managed to get 2 eggs because they said I must have ovulated early. It was 35.5 hours from HCG injection to EC.
Is this common? Was there anything that I/the clinic could have done differently?
Thanks
Nic

#3 ·
Peter,

Can u explain how Nic or her clinic could have known if she had ovulated early. I just had my e/c and it was 36 hours and I got 16 eggs. There was no test just before e/c to check if I had already ovulated.

I can understand Nic that you are not happy, and I would have thought your clinic were well practiced. I considered using them for surogacy. Take care Nic.

Helen
X

#4 ·
Aich,

You read my mind - I'm glad you asked this question and will be interested to see the response. Bourne Hall do have a very good reputation.

Sue.

#5 ·
Aich said:
Peter,

Can u explain how Nic or her clinic could have known if she had ovulated early.

Nic would not know. The physician carrying out the EC collection would know immediately when the scan probe is inserted for EC (prior to passing the needle into the ovary). It is at this stage when the physician should have advised Nic that she had ovulated and that the egg collection would not be very sucessful. She could then have made an informed decision about what to do instead of being told she only got 2 eggs becuase she ovulated.

I just had my e/c and it was 36 hours and I got 16 eggs. There was no test just before e/c to check if I had already ovulated.

They would have checked with a quick scan prior to starting the EC

Bourn Hall are good but this sounds like a mistake

Good luck!

Peter
I can understand Nic that you are not happy, and I would have thought your clinic were well practiced. I considered using them for surogacy. Take care Nic.

Helen
X

#6 ·
Peter,

Surely that is all well and good - but if you have a GA for EC, then surely it would be best to just go ahead with EC anyway and make the best of a bad situation.

How is it that this is 'badly managed' when you wouldn't have expected ovulation to have occured already - surely it is purely just bad luck. So is there really any scope for complaint here.

Just intrigued by the whole situation.

Regards,

Sue

#7 ·
Sue MJ said:
Peter,

Surely that is all well and good - but if you have a GA for EC, then surely it would be best to just go ahead with EC anyway and make the best of a bad situation.

No, I would not agree. If ovulation has occured then the chance of a good egg collection is pretty remote. The staff could also ask the patients partner if the patient is sedated.

How is it that this is 'badly managed' when you wouldn't have expected ovulation to have occured already - surely it is purely just bad luck.

It's a combination of both, regular scanning would highlight the risk of early ovulation.

So is there really any scope for complaint here.

Yes, I think that there is. A reduced/free cycle should really be offered as compensation in a case like this.

Regards,

Peter

Just intrigued by the whole situation.

Regards,

Sue

#8 ·
Hi Peter - thanks for all your comments. Both of my eggs fertilised (thank god!) and were dividing well so i had them put back earlier today.
I think that if I do not get a positive result then I will pursue the compensation route as you mention. I was not scanned from Sat morning until Tuesday morning and I think that they should have scanned me like you say before giving me a GA when I could have made a decision about whether or not to abandon the cycle.
Thanks again for all your help
Nic

#9 ·
NicJ said:
Hi Peter - thanks for all your comments. Both of my eggs fertilised (thank god!) and were dividing well so i had them put back earlier today.
I think that if I do not get a positive result then I will pursue the compensation route as you mention. I was not scanned from Sat morning until Tuesday morning and I think that they should have scanned me like you say before giving me a GA when I could have made a decision about whether or not to abandon the cycle.
Thanks again for all your help
Nic
Good luck, I hope that it works and you don't need to complain!!!

Peter

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.