Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone explain this easily?

my best mate is pg with her 4th child  :eek: and has had to have amnio because they are at risk to this syndrome

we have looked on net but don't really understand, we know it may be serious

Thanks

Zoe x

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi

I am sorry to hear that your friend is going through this stressful time. With any luck the amnio will come back normal. So often in pregnancy doctors are a bit over cautious (which is a good thing for baby but can make the whole experience very worrying for Mums)

I can't help too much on the condition I'm afraid except that I know there are several different types of Edwards syndrome (3 - I think) and that whilst one is very serious the others can cause only milder problems. Its also called Trisomy 18 on some sites if this helps.

Best of luck to your friend. I really hope that everything goes well for her

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Zoe

I'm in the same position right now. Apparently a risk factor for chromosomal problems issues is considered high at 1:300. We were given risks of 1:3 Downs and 1:4 Edwards. We are currently awaiting amnio on 3rd May.

There's a link here on Edwards to get you started. It's when there are three chromosomes on number 18. Generally the syndrome is considered incompatable with life. Most fetus 95% don't make it to birth. The one's that do are born with physical anomalies and multiple organ failure and usually die within a few months.

http://www.chclibrary.org/micromed/00046360.html

At least with the amnio she will be given a definate diagnosis. I do appreciate how worrying it is going through the same myself and been given such bad odds. I'm holding on to the fact that even 1:4 which is considered very high risk there's still a 75% chance our baby will be ok.

I will think of your friend

Take care

Lolly X

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your replies and good luck lolly with youtr results

fortunatly the tests have come back clear and everything is ok - phew!

scared me i can tell ya!

she has 20 wk scan monday

Thanks again x

Zoe x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.