Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might sound a bit daft but how do they do the egg collection? I'm a bit of a wuss and I'd like to know what I'm in for. :-[

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Awww, there's no need to worry. You will be sedated so you won't feel a thing. Just a nice little sleep then the best cuppa and biccie when you come round.

Good luck!

xx

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Hollybags,
Try not to worry hunny. All you will know about is....they'll put a needle in the back of your hand so they can put your sedation meds in easily. You'll put on a gown and hairnet and be taken through to the treatment room. They did an internal scan on me to check what was happening with my follies then they inserted a speculum (just like having a smear test) They'll start the sedation and that will be about it for you until you come round after it's done. The sedation feels like your a bit tipsy as it starts to work and when it's wearing off. If at any point you feel like you need more sedation just ask and they should administer more. I vaguely remember being asked to move on to the trolley to be wheeled back to the ward bed but other than that I remember nothing. Apparently I'd ordered a coffee???? Honestly you'll be too busy laughing at your partner /husband with his hairnet on  ;D ;D
Good luck hun  ^hugme^
Sarah xx

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Holly,

You won't feel any pain, don't worry hun! And you get tea and biccies when you wake up!

I had EC recently and you walk into the treatment room in your gown and hairnet. I was asked to lie on the bed and the aneasthetists (he's lovely) will administer the sedative and as Sarah says you start to feel tipsey and then I drifted off into a deep sleep.
At this point they had not put the speculum in or done anything. They collect your eggs and put a progesterone bum bullet in for you and will often put an antiobiotic pellet in for you too.
I woke up in the recovery room about 25 mins later not knowing anything since I drifted off. When you're properly awake they'll bring you some water and ask if you want a paracetemol, you have mild AF cramps but that's all.
Then you'll get a sheet with your name and patient no. on confirming how many eggs they collected.
Then tea/biccies and you'll lie there for another hour before getting dressed and going back upstairs.

Nothing to it, honest

Good luck!!

SS xxx

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oo thankyou She-hulk, Emerald Eyes and Sallysunshine! That's ever so reassuring! I know this is probably a bit daft too, but do you feel them putting the suppository in? My friend said she thought that was the most invasive bit because she wasn't expecting it! I suppose I've got used to people poking about the front but not the back!  :-[ :eek: I'd rather do it myself, if there's an option!

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Hollybags said:
Oo thankyou She-hulk, Emerald Eyes and Sallysunshine! That's ever so reassuring! I know this is probably a bit daft too, but do you feel them putting the suppository in? My friend said she thought that was the most invasive bit because she wasn't expecting it! I suppose I've got used to people poking about the front but not the back! :-[ :eek: I'd rather do it myself, if there's an option!
;D ;D ;D

I didn't even realise it was there till much later afterwards :-[. Nope, you will not have to endure that indignity, don't worry. It can give you a jiffy tummy so be prepared.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi,

I second that, I was completely knocked out and unaware of anything until the nurse told me that I had a bum bullet in!
She-hulk is right, I had a very yukky toilet experience the next day so yes, be prepared for that.

SSxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts