Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had a laparoscopy a few months ago and am now due to have my first cycle of IVF in a couple of months time (I have blocked tubes caused by adhesions from previous abdominal surgery).  I am concerned as the surgeon reported that she was unable to elevate one of my ovaries (she was successful with the other) which means that one of them is somehow stuck in the abdominal wall and therefore difficult to access for egg collection.  I will definitely make the IVF doctors aware of this, but I wondered if anyone else has had experiences of EC with only one ovary and whether this (quite literally) halves your chances of success?

Thanks so much for any advice or experience you may have :)

Betsy xx

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi  Betsy!

I have had the same problem.  i have crohns disease so have had some of my stomache removed.  it then caused an absess on one of my ovaries the absess burst and caused a huge infection which affected my tubes.  they are both useless.  i get lots of cysts on my ovaries but they have said they will not be able to operate to take them away (unless they give me a full hysterectomy being everything is stuck to my abdominal wall) and have advised me that i should not have any laparoscopy's.  they said it would be difficult to reach my ovaries for the egg collection.  but actually i have had it done twice now (im just starting my third round of IVF) and it hasnt been a problem!  do make sure you let them know but it just felt like a smear to me so didnt feel painful...  Im sure it will be fine!!!! 

Foor the record...i feel your pain and worry...i was exactly the same!... just hope its successful this time!

Thanks
Lizzie xx

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Lizzie,

Thanks so much for your reply!  It is a real relief to hear that you have had successful EC.  By coincidence DH has colitis so we have a couple of things in common.  Really hope that you get your BFP on this cycle, best of luck!

Betsy xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.