Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
We have embarked on the search of a DE clinic in the hope that this will finally give us our dream to have a baby. Having initially considered Spain, we are now thinking about going to the US so we can have more control on the choice of the donor. We know nothing about US clinics and would welcome any advice on the most reputable ones. Preferably in New York but can also consider other locations if clinic is really good.
Is it possible to have a phone 1st consultation if you live far away?

Thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
I have a friend using Shady Grove in Washington. (I think)

You pay a lot of money - but you get 6 goes and money back if you are not successful. You have to meet certain requirements to be on the shared risk program.

She went out the US for a consultation and came back with a mock cycle to do at the Bridge Centre in London. The results of the mock cycle were reviewed by the clinic and then she was accepted for the shared risk option.

She made enquiries in August and is going out again for ET just before Christmas. She seems to be very impressed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the recommendation Hopeful Hazel. We will get in touch with them. They seem to be highly recommended for DE.

Fingers crossed we won't have to do the 6 attempts!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Elia
I've also just been 'clinic shopping' for somewhere that has a good DE programme, and have just been referred to Shady Grove. They are one of the DE partners for my own centre at Hammersmith, and the Hammersmith docs seem very impressed with them.
I hope that they are as good as they look...drop me a reply / email if you feel like a bit of a chat - I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed by the financial/time commitment, but slighly excited at the thought that this might just work!
Best wishes
Helen

·
Registered
94 Posts
Olivia

I've explored all the options, including Altrui, and I still want to go to the states.

It does feel as though you have a real agenda on these boards around the importance of known donors taking precedence over other concerns that infertile couples might have. You are of course entitled to your views, but so am I and I would prefer to pursue treatment where there is no waiting list and a wider choice of donors. It's also really important to me that I can retain shared care with Hammersmith, rather than moving to Guys or Lister.

Please respect my right to choose this option and stop pushing your own agenda. I can only be thankful that I've decided to tell any child I might be blessed with about their donor origins, otherwise no doubt I'd be harangued over that too.

Helen

·
Registered
905 Posts
Of course I absolutely respect your right to choose Helen and everyone is welcome in DC Network, wherever they conceive.  However, I don't think simply suggesting that considering Altrui as an alternative option can be considered haranging.  There was no suggestion whatever of judging you for wanting to go to the States (in fact there are many good reasons for choosing to do so).  DC Network was founded on the principle of openness and have campaigned for as much information as possible (and preferably identifiability) to be available for donor conceived people.  It is hardly surprising that on this basis we would encourage people to stay in the UK if at all possible and support the service that Altrui is offering...but it was only a suggestion, nothing more.
Very best wishes for treatment and the future.
Olivia

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. 
Helen, have sent you a PM...

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Will you be doing single cycle or 6 cycles shared risk option?

Our friend is doing the 6 cycle option - if she does not get pregnant in that time then she gets her money back - I think for that it was £26K on the exchange rate at the time. :eek:
A lot of money, but you get a lot of goes - of course if it works first or second time then you are out of pocket. But I think in the Uk a single cycle egg donation recipient cycle can be £8k from what friends have been saying?

You also have to factor in flights and accommodation.

It makes the clinic very focused on ensuring they get you pregnant as soon as possible though! You have to meet strict criteria for this option.

One possible problem - the friend who is doing this is meant to have flown to the US on Saturday for an ET in the next couple of days - as of yesterday she was still stuck in Heathrow getting very stressed out.

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
I don't I am afraid - Why don't you email them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.