Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Laura and Im 23(no clues in username really-hehe)
I got married last year to my fantastic DH, he is 29 this year.
Since our wedding in september we have been actively trying with no sucess.
So at the end of april this year our doctors began investigations.
DH has only 28% motility with an abnormal count of 92%. So basically we have an 8% count.
We discovered ICSI with IVF was the only way forward and with the waiting list being 4 years we searched for a private hospital.
We choose CARE in manchester at the Alexandra hospital.
After all the upset of discovering dh's inferilty problems I disided I wanted to help other women on the Egg sharer problem.
Last monday I discovered I am a CF carrier which means CARE wont except my donated eggs.
Since then we have discovered we can have embryo screening, which leaves me feeling both happy and puzzled at the same time.
Happy that we can still have a baby, but puzzled for all those women who desperatley wont someone to oegg share with.
Why cant I still egg share if they can screen the embryos?
With so little women now prepared to donate there egg because of the changes after april 2005, surley this procedure might help the other women? ???
If there is any women who are waiting to egg share with a brown haired, brown eyed, olive skinned white female who are prepared to egg share even though I am a carrier, please could you contact CARE in Manchester.

I read all your posts every day, I see the upset your go through, I really want to help.

Love
Laura
:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Laura,
take this question to 'Ask a Nurse' on the message board or give HFEA a call.
Don't know the answer myself - but perhaps your hospital do not have the facilities for this type of screening e.g. my hospital cannot provide genetic screening yet unlike some hospitals it provides all the different forms of fertility treatment.

See us on the Egg /Sperm donor page - plenty of us there egg sharing or needing a donor
Good Luck

Squeak

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Lisa,

My DH is also a CF carrier. I am also down to egg share but in light of his results, they are now testing me and if I am CF they won't let me egg share.

My DH asked the same question as you. As long as the recipient's partner is not a carrier, surely it isn't an issue.

Our clinic said they wasn't 100% sure whether it was HFEA's ruling or the clinic but interestingly enough our clinic was more concerned about being sued. I suppose in this day and age everyone is too frightened of being in this compensation culture.

I absolutely share your views on this, particularly in light of so few women having the opportunity to be recipients.

I guess its probably legislation, knowing this country, thats stopping it.

Crazy.........

Natalie x

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've just popped into section out of interest and if you've already had the answers, I apologise.

I'm a CF carrier myself (although not an egg donor) and the reason for the restriction is that not all types of CF are identified yet. We've been screened and my dh has been cleared as "not carrying or unknown".  We have a 1 in 364 chance of a baby with CF (which is funny as we seem to have sod all chance of having a baby in the first place!)

A carrier and a non carrier can still produce a CF baby because the "non carrying" status may simply mean that any potential CF gene has yet to be identified as such rather than it not existing.

I hope that makes sense!

Good luck to all

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi All

I am new to the group so I thought that I would introduce myself. My name's Deborah, but everyone calls me Debs.

A little about me, I got sterilised after having two children and a divorce, never thought I would ever settle down again let alone meet a wonderful guy (whom I am marrying next year ;D) let alone wanting another child.

But I was so wrong. We are both very desperate to have a child, complete our family.

We decided to look into IVF. Then we discovered Egg Share and for the fact that until now I never felt the pain that infertile people feel, I decided that Egg Share is the best route. It would help us and at the same time help someone else. Even with the new laws about anonymity that came into place this month (which I must say is a bit of putting - and I really feel that the numbers of donors is going to dwindle because of it) we decided this is what we wanted to do. Had our first consultation on 8th April but due to the fact that my blood group is Sickle Cell Trait we have been told we cannot go ahead. So from what we have been told, our only other option is IVF or Sterilisation Reversal. But we are not giving up, we are asking advice from all round to see if there is anything else that we can do or can be done for us.

I have learnt a lot from these forums and I now have a glimmer of hope as I have found a few women who are also Sickle Cell Trait and are doing IVF E.S. So I have emailed my consultant to ask him a few questions as I need to know if it is just the policy of this hospital in particular.

My view is the same as Natalie's, As long as the recipient's partner is not a carrier, there should not be an issue. Shouldn't the recipient be told there is a donor and be given the chance to choose whether they want to take the risk? Consultants should not be playing god. It makes me so angry. In light of the fact that there will now be so few willing to donate due to the law change, they should not be turning away donors.

I have recently read the following on the NHS site:

The typical cost of one IVF cycle at a private clinic is £2,000. However, from April 2005, all Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) should be offering at least one cycle of IVF (In Vitro Fertilisation) treatment on the NHS to infertile couples. Women must be aged between 23 and 39 to qualify for free treatment. In addition, they must either:
• have a specific problem such as absence of sperm or blocked fallopian tubes, or
• have been unable to conceive for three years despite regular intercourse and no identifiable problem.

Are you all aware of this?

I have been working for a PCT for the past 6 months, still in the "getting to know the ropes" phase. After submitting postings in forums I have found out that PCT's are the people to contact re: IVF on NHS. So all this time I have been in the heart of information and did not know it :(

Anyway I asked a few questions and have been given some links, which I thought I would share with you all.

INFO

Directory of Fertility Clinics
http://www.hfea.gov.uk/HFEAPublications/YourGuidetoInfertility/HFEA%20p63-106.pdf

HFEA - Guide To Infertility
http://www.hfea.gov.uk/HFEAPublications/YourGuidetoInfertility/DoC%20text%20version%20%28for%20website%29.pdf

Full NICE Fertility Guideline
http://www.nice.org.uk/pdf/CG011fullguideline.pdf

Hope they are of use to you all

Debs

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry I have not been in touch for a while, have had PC problems, but all sorted now. So I thought I would come back to up date you.

After sending letters/emails to every clinic throughout the UK that do IVF Egg Share. I have had a few say taht they would take me on even though I am Sickle Cell Trait  clinics a far North and as far south as you can imagine and even better still finally about a week ago I got a call from a Birmingham clinic, I nearly dropped off my seat!!

They asked me to send a letter of referral from my Doc. Which I did and now I am awaiting my 1st appointment. I have been told that the all inclusive price is £525, no hidden costs.

On top of all that I have found out that the consultant who I saw at the private clinic originally is the same conultant at this hospital, not sure if that is a good thing or not  we will just have to wait and see. will keep you posted

Laura - have you found anyone willing to share?  if not, do what I did, email/write to all the clinic and tell them your situation, they will tell you whether they will accept you and if not they may be able to pass you onto someone else.  It may mean travelling butit's worth it.  Keep me posted * the directory for clinics is in my 1st posting

Debs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts