Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am new to this site.  I have been TTC for 2 years now, I am 37.  Last year i underwent IUI but only had one complete cycle as I kept showing with cysts.  My husband has a low sperm count and mobility.  I was due to start IVF in March but i wentto the clinic yesterday and they informed me that I have a very low AMH and so IVF would probably not work and they recommended egg donation.  I am naturally devastated and am now unsure whether to try IVF anyway so that I can have a shot with my own eggs or go straight to egg donation.  Has anyone else been successful with IVF with a low AMH?
Any help or advice welcome xx

·
Premium Member
12,192 Posts
to FF, Siann!!! This is a great website for support, information, laughter and friendship, it has kept me (relatively!) sane though all my treatment. Have a good look round the site, post in whatever section you want and make yourself at home. There are so many sections here with a huge amount of information, so whatever you are going through there will be someone here to help you.

I don't know what my AMH level was, or any levels for that matter, the docs just said whether things were ok or not! In retrospect I wish I had asked! I only had 4 follies during my IVF treatment and they talked about cancelling the cycle, I thought that as we had got this far we might as well continue, so that is what we did. From those 4 follies I got 2 eggs, and only one survived fertilisation. That one was transferred back and I got a BFP, so my daughter is living proof that it only takes one. We have a poor responders thread, for people who have low AMH ~ CLICK HERE. I hope the ladies there will be able to offer you some advice.

Here are a couple of links that I think might help you.

A Rough Guide To IVF ~CLICK HERE

IVF General chat ~ CLICK HERE

Keep a diary of your treatment (or just read the experiences of others) ~ CLICK HERE

Complimentary, Holistic and Spiritual Approaches ~ CLICK HERE

Donor sperm/eggs ~ CLICK HERE (if you decide to go down that route)

While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time. The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that. Just pop along to the appropriate month and say "Hi" when you are ready to start treatment ~ CLICK HERE

The What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) thread will give you some info on how to navigate the site ~ CLICK HERE

We also have a newbie night in the chat room every Wednesday where you can meet other new members and a few more experienced (I won't use the term "old"!) members will be there to answer any questions you have about the site. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

If you look on the main forum index you will find location boards. You can find others in your area, and even people going to the same clinic who will provide invaluable advice - some groups even have meet ups.

Please feel free to ask more questions here, or on any other part of the site, there will be wonderful helpful people there to give you lots of support, information and cyber hugs if you need it. We go through all the highs and lows of treatment together.

Good luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Sue ^hugme^

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Siann,

I'm new here today too. I'm in a similar situation to you I think.

I've been through a cycle of IVF to which I didn't respond to the drugs at all, I had one tiny follicle on a pretty high dose. I didn't find out until afterwards that I had a low AMH, and that was likely to be the reason that I didn't respond. I was told it wasn't worth trying IVF again, because I also need ICSI there isn't much chance of me getting enough eggs. So I'm looking at egg donation if I want to try again.

I would say that people probably react differently to the drugs, so the docs don't necessarily know how you are going to react until you you try it. I've seen postings elsewhere of success with low AMH, so hopefully someone else will be able to give you a different perspective.

Best of luck

RB

·
Registered
371 Posts
Siann

I would definitely have a go with your own eggs first, as RB said, everyone reacts differently.  Some clinics are more enthusiastic than others about working with people with low AMH so many have a look around x x x

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies.  I know that the possibility of IVF working in probably quite low but I think that if I went straight to egg donation I would always be wondering.
With egg donation can they match your physical attributes etc, how does that work?

I am still reeling from what the consultant told me yesterday I was so shocked as I assumed all was ok.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi,

I am currently D/R for ICSI as an egg donor, they do match very carefully re physical characteristics, for example my lovely recipient was looking for a hazel eyed, brown haired, 5'4 lady with fair skin and that's me!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Sian

Im low amh too and have just started to down reg for our third cycle.  My dh has low sperm too and like you we thought I was ok until after our first cycle when they decided to test my amh (3.2)as we only got 1 egg to fertilise out of 7.  I was annoyed at the time as to why this wasnt done before we started treatment as I was fairly confident we had a good chance of success and our expectations were higher. However, we'd have still gone ahead so it didnt really matter in the long run.  We had our second cycle in Sep 10 and no eggs fertilsed this time (5 collected)so we thought thats it we'll have to try DE.  But the dr advised one more go so he was happy to give it a go even with my low amh.

I would def give your own eggs a chance as you just never know. We pondered over whether to try a third time as the second attempt was worse than the first but we figured we have to take our opportunites when they come and the more opportunites we have the more chance of getting our baby.  It was still a hard decision mind as we know something is clearly not right and its alot to got through just to confirm that.  There are women who still get pregnant with low amh - my dr had a patient with a lower amh than me who conceived so we have to try. 

I hope you give it a go with your own eggs but i understand the decision is often not an easy one.  All in all Ive produced 12 eggs over 2 cycles which I dont think is too bad, and although it didnt work we had 1 that fertilised which I now understand is an achievement to get that far, so you could be the same but get lucky with one good egg.

Hope this helps

Take care

Zxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am very inclined to start with my own eggs but the consultant seemed so reluctant and kept talking about egg donation.  I think that I was so shocked that I did not ask all the right questions. I am at UCLH and as they are meant to be a leading hospital in fertility I am quite surprised.  He also seemed to think that waiting for a donor does not take long but on here I have read about people waiting for years.

Its great to share with others in the same boat though.  Up until now I felt that I had no-one to talk to as no-one else I know had been through it.  If I mentioned it I thought people had bored looks on their faces. Thanks. xxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts