Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Peter,

I wish my mind would stop working overtime - 'cos I've now been thinking of a few more worries!

Firstly, can you tell me whether there is a correlation between a high percentage of immature eggs and failure of IVF? On my first cycle in Nov/Dec 2002 I had 5 out 6 mature, on this cycle I had 3 out of 9.

Do you know whether increasing profasi to above 10,000iu next time would increase the number of mature eggs?

Do you think that the reason I had so many immature eggs this time was because my Menopur was increased in this cycle (300 instead of 225 last time) and my follicles developed very quickly ( I only stimmed for 8 days = day 9)?

Can you tell me whether its possible for eggs to mature overnight in vitro?

And lastly, we had ICSI done this time - so presumably they were fertilised late morning/early afternoon of EC. We went for ET 9am on day 2 - at this point we had a 4 cell and a 2 cell about to divide - is this good for this stage of growth?

Sorry for the inqusition - I have promised my DH I will stop worrying - but wanted to get these off my chest first!

Thanks for your advice,

Marianne

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

Marianne said:
Dear Peter,

I wish my mind would stop working overtime - 'cos I've now been thinking of a few more worries!

Firstly, can you tell me whether there is a correlation between a high percentage of immature eggs and failure of IVF? On my first cycle in Nov/Dec 2002 I had 5 out 6 mature, on this cycle I had 3 out of 9.

Possibly although the proof is difficult to interpret. Frfom your information above this is not a problem in your case.

Do you know whether increasing profasi to above 10,000iu next time would increase the number of mature eggs?

No, it would not.

Do you think that the reason I had so many immature eggs this time was because my Menopur was increased in this cycle (300 instead of 225 last time) and my follicles developed very quickly ( I only stimmed for 8 days = day 9)?

Short aggressive stimulation and small follicles are a recipe for immaturity.

Can you tell me whether its possible for eggs to mature overnight in vitro?

This is still in the research phase at present but in the future it might be possible.

And lastly, we had ICSI done this time - so presumably they were fertilised late morning/early afternoon of EC. We went for ET 9am on day 2 - at this point we had a 4 cell and a 2 cell about to divide - is this good for this stage of growth?

This is relatively early for an ET and therefore the cell number is OK.

Hope this helps!

Peter

Sorry for the inqusition - I have promised my DH I will stop worrying - but wanted to get these off my chest first!

Thanks for your advice,

Marianne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Peter,

Thanks again for you speedy reply.

I also thought it was quite early for ET - can you think of a reason whyt they didn't wait until late afternoon or even day 3 for transfer?

One last quickie - when people talk of days post transfer - is this calculated as day of transfer = day 1 or the following day is day 1?

Thanks again.

Marianne

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

Marianne said:
Dear Peter,

Thanks again for you speedy reply.

I also thought it was quite early for ET - can you think of a reason whyt they didn't wait until late afternoon or even day 3 for transfer?

This mostly happens because the clinicians are not available at any other time. If this is the case I think it is not good practice.

One last quickie - when people talk of days post transfer - is this calculated as day of transfer = day 1 or the following day is day 1?

Transfer is usually day 2 or day 3

Regards,

Peter
Thanks again.

Marianne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts