Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! 

I had my ET on day 3 this past Saturday. In all at EC I had 12 eggs but only 5 fertilised due to the eggs being immature apparently.  They transferred the two best, a seven cell and a five cell, and then allowed the remaining three to be 'grown' a little more to see if any would reach Blastocyst as I wanted to store some for a FET in the future. 

The clinic called me this morning to say none of the three 'caught up' and so they wont be able to freeze anything for me. 

This has left me feeling so down - I cant help but feel that there must have been something wrong with my eggs to have gotten such bad results from such a promising start (day of EC I was sooo excited) and I am petrified that once again I will be left empty. 

Has anyone else got a good result when embies did not make it to Blastocyst stage in the clinic???^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

Hoping and praying I will look back on all this and laugh at my own neurosis!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best thing to do is to contact your clinic and ask one of the senoir staff to explain the day3 day5 growth of the embryo so that you feel as though you have some control over whats happening - stay positive - having faith can do wonders (wish I could act on my own advice)

I have just had a day6 ET with 7 good embryo's at day3 was positive cell production of between 6 - 8 cells
My clinic embryo contact explained that upto day3 the female gene is doing the work and day3 plus the male gene takes over so my case was expected - ie slow growth from day3+ since the issue was the sperm motility (and count)
I have no idea what to expect any advice from anyone ?????

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dev! 

I don't think I can give you any advice, you have given me some info to chew on...

I had no idea that the female gene does the work till day three and thereafter the male gene takes over.  That is fascinating stuff! 

As far as I can tell you seem to have done very well so far, I did not know that they did day 6ET I thought the longest they made you wait was five days! 

As far as I am aware you have a better chance if you have blastocysts transfered, course I think the hardest thing for me is that once you get to ET stage everything is up to nature and you lose control and simply have to wait and see. 

I am 10dpET and have four more days till test day  ^pray^ ^reiki^

Good luck to you! 

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello there sweetie.

Don't worry hun, you are not alone.

First time around, I responded very poorly to the drugs and only got 4 eggs and of those, 2 were immature, so they couldn't do anything with them. The other 2 did fertilise but only one made it to day 3 and it was a poor grade at that. I had nothing to freeze and all they kept saying to me was 'don't get your hopes up this time around'. I was so upset and nothing anyone could say made me feel better. Having said that, I was glad they told me to be realistic, as unfortunately, we did get a BFN.

I'm in the middle of my 2nd ICSI now (day 2 of 2WW) and I did much better. We got 6 eggs, 2 were immature but 4 fertilised. We had 3 of them on day 3 which all looked about the same and we decided to take a gamble and waited to day 5 for the transfer to see if any got to blastocyst. We were very lucky and 2 made it (I had one transfered and the other frozen). However, one didn't make it. I do ask myself why that was.

Don't be disheartened. Each time we put ourselves through this it is a huge acheivement, regardless of the outcome. To get anything at all on day 3 is an amazing result! Day 5 transfers (or freezing) are obviously bonuses, but you musn't forget that each cycle is different and your body will know if it is right. You may well find that your day 3 embies you had transfered are just the ticket! Don't beat yourself up about the what ifs. I've done that so many times and it only serves to tear me apart.

I'm so glad this site exists, as it reassures me that I'm not alone. I'm sure everything will work out for you - big hugs

Lennypops xxx  ^hugme^

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Lennypops,

Thanks for your advice!  I am a great fan of this website too, I love coming online and reading that there are others out there with exactly the same thoughts and feelings as me and that I am not losing the plot!  ^idiot^

Thank you for reminding me how far I have already come, no matter what the result.  How do you stay so positive? Someone like you should be a mum cos you would be very good  :)

I have heard people call the IVF experience a roller coaster but I dont think that really does the emotional strain justice...after all roller coasters are fun and people actually choose to go on them!!  Nor do roller coasters cost as much  ;D

I am now on 13dpec or 10dpet and feeling quite relaxed and confident.  There has been no sign of AF... ^noAF2^ 

Test day is thursday!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Good luck to you and thankyou again, thinking sticky thoughts for you and your little blasto!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you sweetie! That is such a lovely thing to say.

Wishing you lots and lots of luck for your test day - let me know how you get on

Big hugs  ^hugme^

Lennypops

xxxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts