Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know where the shortest waiting lists are for embryo donation?
Chubby2

·
Premium Member
12,192 Posts

Welcome to FF, Chubby2!! This is a great website for support, information, laughter and friendship, it has kept me (relatively!) sane though all my treatment. I can't help you personally, but we have donor section of the site which you might find useful - CLICK HERE I am sure the lovely people there will be able to offer some advice.

I will also give you the link for our What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) page ~ CLICK HERE This will offer some hints and tips on how to navigate the site.

We also have a newbie night in the chat room every Wednesday where you can meet other new members and a few more experienced (I won't use the term "old"!) members will be there to answer any questions you have about the site. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

Please feel free to ask more questions here, or on any other part of the site, there will be wonderful helpful people there to give you lots of support, information and cyber hugs if you need it. We go through all the highs and lows of treatment together.

Good luck with your journey ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Sue ^hugme^

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Chubby2, my DH and I had embryo donation at Institute Marques in Barcelona and I am now 10 weeks pregnant with twins....we had had donor egg IVF with them previously which didn't work so we told them that we would try embryo donation and didn't have to wait at all, just went ahead on my next cycle.

The thing with them is that the embryos tend to come from spanish donors and as I look spanish anyway I wasn't too worried about matching etc.

We did look at Reprofit clinic as well as their costs were lower and I don't think there is much of a wait there either.

Good luck with everything.

Nadine

·
Premium Member
12,192 Posts
Here is a link to the international forums if you are considering going abroad CLICK HERE

Sue ^hugme^

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sue and Nadine,

Thanks for your replies.  I'm glad things have worked for you.

Is it safe going abroad?  How can you be sure of their standards, especially with regard to HIV etc?

Also, I guess the donors would be totally anonymous.

Nadine, can I ask how much you forked out roughly for embryo donation?  How many trips did you need?

Thanks, Nicola

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Nicola - yes, donors abroad are totally anonymous (with the exception of the US - however it is very expensive there...)

In terms of standards and safety going abroad, the best advice I can give you is to do your research carefully - read up on the different clinics, read reviews (plenty of those here on FF), talk to others (on FF or otherwise) who have used the clinics, maybe even visit a few clinics before you make a decision. The majority of clinics abroad have the same high standards as the UK but it does pay to do your research to make sure you are comfortable....

If you would like to explore options for UK tx, you could try contacting the National Gamete Donation Trust (www.ngdt.co.uk) - there are usually limited donor embies available in the UK but they can help you locate clinics which offer them.

Note that in the Uk donated embryos are usually left over from couples' cycles so any children born would potentially have full siblings out there somewhere (who they could potentially find out about when they were older)

Abroad it varies, some embryos are similar to UK and left over/donated from other people's cycles, whereas at other clinics they 'create' the embryos from backup egg donor eggs and sperm from their sperm banks (with this latter option one assumes there is less likelihood of full siblings existing, although not impossible if a 'set' of embryos are shared amongst more than one couple (and of course in the abroad scenario, neither you nor the child would ever be able to find out about siblings due to anonymity)
Worth checking with clinics where their embryos come from if this is something important to you

Hope this helps and best of luck
Suitcase
x

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that fertilityfriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
188 Posts
Chubby, The cycle cost around 3300Euros at IM and we were successful on 1st go.....we had previously had 5 goes with donor egg IVF which were all unsuccessful.

I can't fault IM really. They do screen the donors and are very thorough in everything as far as I can see. have a look at the IM thread in the treatment abroard section.

The embryos came from a 23 yr old female and a 28 year old male so we really think that helped....as we were unsuccesful with our 42 and 43 yr old own bits!

Reprofit are a lot cheaper but I don't know much about the clinic etc....again perhaps have a look on the thread about them.

N x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.