Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking this discussion out of the IMSI thread above for lizziesidal.

I'm sure we've chatted before and just quickly looked at your last posts. I had one difficult transfer at BWH and personally believe it compromised our cycle.

Have a read of this link

http://www.ivfauthority.com/2009/10/factors-affecting-ivf-outcome.html

Geoffrey Sher is an interesting man indeed and has fertility centres across the US. I personally know more than a few FF who have been to him as a "last resort" and been successful. They regard him highly; I think you can trust his opinions to be valid ones.

Was looking for the article I had in mind and came across this patent which has some interesting numbers. Obviously we don't know where they're from, so can't quote them, but it makes for interesting background reading.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080200752

At Cornell, we had a dummy transfer using a "spaghetti" like catheter. ET itself was done under lab conditions; no one other than consultant (the top guys, not underlings and/or nurses) would do the transfer and no-one else there other than s/he and the nurse (no DH allowed!). It was done in near dark and everyone was gowned up. A far cry from a bright June day curtains open with a junior doc who had to load up the catheter twice and got blood on it at BWH...

/links

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. I know this isn't MF, but I thought it was important for us all to be informed of what can affect a cycle and the chances of those precious embryos resulting in a successful pregnancy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This information is really interesting, Claudine.  Yes, we have spoken before  :)

I have to say the transfers at BWH weren't too bad. I don't remember blood on the catheter; however, they were done without ultrasound i.e. blind!  which I find unbelievable now.

My first ET at the Lister was done by a new member of staff, bright sunshine and a lot of prodding with blood ending up on the catheter.

This time around, I requested a different Dr.  He switched the lights off and shone a spotlight on me.  It went very smoothly, and my DH said there was no blood.  One of the reasons I am so disappointed is that the ET went so smoothly plus we had two post day 3s to put back...

DH & I are at a loss.  There seems to be conflicting ideas about IMSI, whether it works, and whether it compromises egg quality due to it taking longer to perform.  We only have one more go at egg share, and if this fails, and none of my recipients gets pregnant either, then we will somehow have to pay full wack.  I'm not sure how we are going to afford it.  I am not intending to try again before June/July, and am interested in finding out as much as I can about IMSI in the meantime...

There was something about egg quality and Menopur too in one of the articles you posted.  I'm not sure I entirely understand it, but it seems that high LH levels found in stimms such as Menopur can compromise chromosomes even in younger women's eggs?  They put me on three amps both times at the Lister; I stimmed very fast, and this time my oestrogen levels went sky high... I don't feel I have the expertise to ask questions of them.  I feel I will fobbed off, to be honest.  When I mentioned the difficult transfer, I was told that what I, as a patient, perceived to be a difficult transfer, may not be what a professional thinks... yet your article seems to confirm what I instinctively knew about my previous ET.

Thank you for your kind words.  It feels very raw today, and for the first time, I feel I beginning to lose hope.  Were my eggs no good?  Were past transfers traumatic?  Is DH's sperm just not good enough despite us getting to blastocyst twice? It seems so many people egg share at the Lister and get a BFP on their first or second go... I feel my time is running out now.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yuck, I didn't catch from the posts that this was your second time round at Lister.

I'm not going to write what I think about your follow-up to the difficult transfer cycle.  It will only get deleted.

If you want to chat/meet up then I'm not far from Stratford and ready to listen/discuss.  At your age, bar any chromosomal abnormalities (your DH checked out right?), you should have a very good chance of success.  Really important to find out about your egg recipient I agree.

Gutted for you hon. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts