Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peter

Please can you advise on the following? I had my ET today and they replaced a 4 cell grade one, and a 4 cell grade two. But there was a five cell grade two and I don't understand why they didn't want to transfer this instead? Surely that's at a more developed stage?

Also, when I was having the transfer there was no medium culture(?) left so they had to use a saline solution - is this not as good (with embryo's being so sensitive) and could it impact on the outcome please? And which is most commonly used?

Thanks for all your support - I don't know how I'd have got thru' all this without you and this website!

Lou

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

louiselud said:
Hi peter

Please can you advise on the following? I had my ET today and they replaced a 4 cell grade one, and a 4 cell grade two. But there was a five cell grade two and I don't understand why they didn't want to transfer this instead? Surely that's at a more developed stage?

The grading system for embryos is confusing to say the least (it is often confusing to me!). The embryos you have received sound excellent. The five cell may not have been chosen for a multitide of reasons including uneven cell division, fragments and so on. The embryology profession is currently trying to standardise embryo grading so that we can all interact with one another in a meaningful way. At present one mans' excellent embryo can be another mans' poor one!!

Also, when I was having the transfer there was no medium culture(?) left so they had to use a saline solution - is this not as good (with embryo's being so sensitive) and could it impact on the outcome please? And which is most commonly used?

It sounds to me like the ran out of medium which is used to swab the cervix prior to transfer. Saline is just as good, if not better, for this purpose. The embryos would be transferred in the medium they sat in. This is standard practice everywhere.

Thanks for all your support - I don't know how I'd have got thru' all this without you and this website!

My pleasure and good luck!!

Peter
Lou

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Peter

Sorry to ask another question.

Yes, the embrologst did mention that they prefer to replace even numbered cells rather than the 5 cell(grade 2) and she mentioned that they'd rather replace a 2 cell(grade 2) than a 5 cell (grade 2) and that they don't like uneven cell division. Why is this please, surely it's better to replace a more developed embryo?

Big thank you
Lou

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Louise,

To be honest I don't agree with the practice of favouring a two cell embryo over a slightly uneven 5 cell. It does not make any sense to me at all and I would not give any patient this advice or carry out such a thing in my clinical practice. if you come across this situation again I would ask the embryologist some very probing questions such as 'why????'

Regards,

Peter

louiselud said:
Hi Peter

Sorry to ask another question.

Yes, the embrologst did mention that they prefer to replace even numbered cells rather than the 5 cell(grade 2) and she mentioned that they'd rather replace a 2 cell(grade 2) than a 5 cell (grade 2) and that they don't like uneven cell division. Why is this please, surely it's better to replace a more developed embryo?

Big thank you
Lou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts