Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Empty follicles

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  fingersandtoes 
#1 ·
Hi,  I am 36 and have very low amh levels and hi ghosh fish (11). I had egg collection yesterday and I had no eggs in the 5 follicles that appeared mature.

I'm devastated and trying to understand why this May have happened. Is it because my amh levels and No eggs left. Previous cycles I have managed to get 4/5 eggs although not the best quality. I did manage to get to transfer 9 months ago with one embroyl that was graded good 7 cell. My ivf journey is now over due to finance, three failed cycles. I am fortunate enough to have a daughter conceived in 2011 through IVF!

Please share your experience of low amh and empty follicles, I'm in shock and never expected this I was more concerned that I wanted get eggs to ferterlise. I also too DHEA prior to this cycle and this one was the worse.

Thank you for reading

#3 ·
Hi Hopes2014 just wanted to drop a note to say how sorry i am to hear of the empty follicles. I also had the same last year (I was also 36 then) so i know how devastated you feel. Mine was one follicle retrieved and it was empty. I have had another cycle this year and one follicle retrieved which made it to transfer but was a BFN. I also have a son born in 2011.

#4 ·
Hi, me to. One empty follicle but it made my decision to move to de much easier.

#5 ·
Thank you both for sharing. It's difficult when you have empty follicles. I never even thought that would happen I was more concerned that the eggs wouldn't fertilise. It's a horrible experience. Will you cycle again fingersandtoes? After trying to come to terms with the shock from yesterday, I now feel I want to try again, but the odds are so low, also I can't afford to go again for it to happen again. It's an emotional roller caster, that's for sure.

Sorry alotsbi, that you have been through it too and sorry for your loss!! Xx
We are not old, but our ovaries are, which is hard to come to terms with.

I took DHEA this cycle and I'm wondering if that had a negative effect, although I have heard good reviews.
Best of luck ladies with your future cycles.

#6 ·
I did try again this year happy2010 and again got 1 follicle but this time the egg fertilised but BFN, i am gearing up to try again after that I may throw in the towel. For us ladies with low reserve there is always the risk of empty follicles but i didn't expect it when it happened to me so the shock was immense. I am on DHEA right now, jury's still out on whether its helping...

Sorry about your loss Alotbsi. So sad :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.