Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!

My two year old takes forever and a day to get through her meals, particularly lunch and breakfast.  This morning it has taken her an hour and a half to eat breakfast.  If we have to go anywhere we have to leave it so late in the morning as they are such late risers (8a.m. today!) and then you are either getting back and straight into dinner or having to pacify them until you get back.

I've tried giving her different things to eat to try and ensure she is not bored with her food, I know I get bored with the same things.  I also try to encourage her with other things she can do e.g. at lunctime I finish feeding her sister and then tell her that if she eats her dinner she can do some colouring or some painting whilst her sister is asleep. 

At breakfast I tend to finsih feeding her sister, have my ownbreakfast and then do the washing up, hoovering and general tidying up whilst she is still trying to start her breakfast. 

This is really frustrating particularly with so many things we have to do and social workers visiting at all times of the day.

Any help or tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Karen x

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Karen,

Sorry i can't help you with the feeding issue, i haven't a clue how to speed her up. Just wanted to tell you that when i've worked with children who've been placed in foster care (i'm a teacher), it's not unusual for them to wolf their meals down because they don't trust whoever's looking after them to feed them again. They literally don't know where their next meal is coming from. So maybe it's a sign that your little girl is happy and settled and trusts you. Sorry it's not much help with your original question, i just hoped it might make you feel better.

Gill x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Sorry to tell you this Karen, but that's just how long it takes  ;D  Jack and Ben are exactly the same.  Jack started that way around the age of 1 and at age 4 is only just starting to finish meals in what I'd call a reasonable time.  Ben at 1, spends around half an hour eating half a slice of toast and some cubes of cheese.  I find that if I'm hurrying then I find it easier to spoon feed him some weetabix or something, but if we're talking finger food/self feeding, then it's a case of sit back and wait!  Can't tell you what a nightmare it can be some mornings when we have to be out by 8.30 am to do the nursery run!!!

I suppose some children will eat quicker than others, but it seems to me that most eat at a snails pace.  I understand the frustration!

Love

Jayne x 

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Girls

Thanks for your replies.  Following my post things got progressively worse (resulting in me being in tears on Xmas day) and all mealtimes ended up being the same.  This only became an issue once her younger sister came to live with us, so this is her regression.  In the end we decided that as breakfast was the most problematic meal to get through, then once her sister had finished her breakfast and I'd done the washing up (by this time we had been at the table for an hour) then anything she hadn't eaten would be removed and we would see what happened. 

As it turns out she now eats some of her breakfast and then demolishes her dinner and tea.  So we've gone from her picking at three meals to now eating two full meals and picking at a third.  Since we started this I've now also changed her to Ready Brek so her cereal looks like what her sister is having and she is on most days eating her breakfast too.

I suppose it is all trial and error.  Just need to start to wean my youngest off all the baby food and get her eating more age appropriately, but that's another story.....

Thanks again
Love
Karen x

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Wow Karen, from your posts I cant believe what a great Mummy you are already! I totally take my hat off to you and Rich. What an inspiration and what lucky girls your two are.

xxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Well done Karen  :)   As you say, it does tend to be trial and error - with a bit of frustration thrown in just for fun  ;D  At 4 Jack does now manage to finish meals in a reasonable time ( Ben's the slow coach  ::) ) but he's not much of a breakfast person either and it's so hard some mornings when he won't eat properly before going to nursery, as this is when he needs it the most, so of course is the meal I worry about the most, but similar to your daughter, he tends to eat a good lunch and tea, so makes up for it then.  The next thing I'm worrying about is when he goes to school in September, will he eat the packed lunch or starve until tea time  ;D  Shame they don't come with manuals isn't it  ;D ;D 

Lots of love to you and your precious girls.

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Karen

It sounds like your doing brilliantly. Joe is a slow eater too then he gets fed up and wont eat anymore. But if i was to dip it in chocolate he would eat the lot. He is a fussy eater too. He has toast with marmite and thin slices of cheese on the side of the plate. He will eat the cheese but more often will leave the toast. This is usually about 7.30. He will then have 1 maybe 2 slices of toast and marmite about an hour and a half later. More often than not he will go to the fridge for chocolate after leaving the first slice. But he now knows he wont get any chcolate till he has had his breakfast.
He has asked for cheese on toast this morning and i am now telling him if he doesnt eat his breakfast there will be no chocolate or crisps today.

You are doing brilliantly perhaps you could give me some tips. :)

Love Kimx x x

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Karen,

It sounds like you are getting on really well - better than me anyway!!  Mealtimes drive me potty  ::).  There is usually at least one meal a day that Kirstie refuses, old favourites suddenly become unpalatable, and it sometimes seems she is heading towards the eating habits I had as a small child - almost exclusively beans and jelly for a year!! (I wont really let her do that - honest).

Keep up the good work.  When Kirstie refuses breakfast I make sure I've got a banana or a breakfast muffin (annabel Karmel's recipe) in the bag for a morning snack.  It is difficult when mealtimes take an age though and just removing refused food without a fuss and without offering an alternative may be what the experts advise and I daresay they're right but it is hard when your child seems to have hardly eaten a thing all day! 

One more thing, Kirstie doesn't get many sweets (mainly cos I eat any sweets that enter this house, no one else gets a look in) nevertheless her first 3 syllable word is......CHOCOLATE!!!  Takes after mummy methinks!

Ditto to Kim about giving us a few tips!!

Love

Allie xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Kim, Joe and Jack definitely need to sit together to eat at Cranage - he's sooooo fussy with his food too.  Eats a very limited variety, but does get all the food groups, is healthy, and so I've given up worrying (well nearly  ;) ) now  ::)

Allie, I think Kirstie should join them  ;D  Isn't it strange how favourites suddenly become the most hated food on the planet, and when the diet is already limited it's so hard then to replace that favourite - which has probably become hated because it's been done to death  ;D 

Karen, fingers crossed your girls are eating really well by then and can put ours to shame and then maybe they'll pick up some good eating tips  ;D 

So far Ben will eat anything and everything, but then Jack did too until he was one 'ish, and by the age of 2, that was it.  The most annoying thing is that he won't even taste half of the things to see if he likes them, although he is getting a bit better at that now if I promise he only has to have a pea sized amount to try.  Managed to get him to taste a chicken nugget the other day, but nope it was 'disgusting!'  ::)  Since Christmas Day though he's decided he likes roast potatoes, which is an addition to the diet  ;D 

Oh well  ;D ;D

Love

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Jayne

Joe is terrible. He wont touch veg although i put it on his plate. Then i put a bit in when i try and feed him some. He wont eat fruit apart from the odd lick of a banana. He doesnt like to try anything new either. he practicly lives on chicken. If i do a shepherds pie i put carrot leeks & onions in it but Joe wont eat it unless i add baked beans. Which i do because he will eat it all then.
He doesnt like roast potatoes so i have to mash him a few up.
When he was a baby he used to eat all the veggies and the pure fruits then he became a nightmare where food is concerned.

I am hoping he will get better as he gets older. I seem to remember though that i never liked new things unless they had a nice smell :)

Love Kimx  xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Jack's okay with fruit - will eat anything, but with veg he will only eat garden peas and carrots.  With potatoes, he will only eat them as chips, and now roasties.  Won't touch mash or boiled.  Won't eat fish (even fish fingers) in any form or meat other than sausages.  Wish he'd eat some chicken or something, but nope, won't go near it.  He's pretty much vegetarian.  Will eat cheese, yoghurt, milk, bread, pasta, cereal - but only certain ones, and I try to steer clear of the sugary ones, he likes apricot bites though which I let him have. And that's about it really.  Oh, he won't touch eggs in any way shape or form either.  and he hates baked beans.  I also can't get him to eat anything like a bolognese or sheperds pie, etc probably because of the meat in it. 

It's such a nightmare, because he too had all the purees as a baby and got everything introduced properly, with a wide variety of tastes and textures, etc.  Everything they tell you to do, but it's made no difference.  He's just fussy and that's it.  As I say, I have pretty much given up now and just feed him as healthily as I can on the limited amount of stuff he will eat.  He's growing well, is a healthy size and weight, etc. for his age, so what he's getting must be okay.  I also give him a children's multivitamin every night after his tea just to ensure he's getting enough of everything. 

His Christmas dinner this year consisted of roast potatoes, sausages (with the bacon taken off), carrotts, peas, bread and tomatoe sauce  ::)  Then he had chocolate for afters as he wasn't even going to go near the Christmas pud  ;D 

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Joe wont drink milk. He loves youghurts and cheese and ends up having youghurts after breakfast, dinner and tea. Which i dont mind as he is at least getting some type of milk product down him.

His xmas dinner he wouldnt eat the sausage but ate the turkey bit of mashed potato and gravy.
As you say he is growing well and seems to have loads of energy. What multivitamin do you give Jack?. I have thought of doing this for Joe.

love Kim x x x

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Jac Jaqson is a lovely eater. I really dont think you will have these problems. From what i have seen you give him such a wide variety of foods and he eats so well. Joe was never as good as Jaqson.

Love Kimx  x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
;D  I'm sure Jaqson will be fine  ;D 

The thing is dh and I aren't fussy eaters at all and so I can't even begin to think why Jack is like this.  Really hope Ben ends up being a better eater.  He is better with lumps than Jack used to be and now has the hang of finger food, is a bit better than Jack was with that too. 

Do you know, Jack won't even use a knife and fork either.  He can do it, but refuses  :mad:  So everthing is still finger food  ::) unless it's cereal with milk and then he has no choice but to use a spoon.  Am taking a relaxed attitude on this one though as I'm sure he'll start using them eventually.  So embarrassing though when out and about and you see kids half his age happily eating away with knives and forks an there's him still having his sausage cut up and picking it up with his fingers  :-[  Ah well  ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Well if Jack's 40 and still eating with just his fingers he can be embarrassed by himself then  ;D  Just hope he's also dropped his bottle by then too  ;D ;D (joking on that one BTW!  ;D ). 

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Joe likes using his fingers too.

Jac like Jayne's Jack Joe was never good with lumps as you may remember the first stratford meets he was still eating the 4 month mushy stuff.
Jaqson is great with lumpy foods so i am sure he will be fine.

Love Kimx  x x

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your replies.  Eldest is still picky with certain things but on the whole eats a good variety with some favourites tucked in for good measure, current ones being ham and pizza!!

We had Rich's parents for a meal yesterday and so it was the first time I tried her with roast beef, she loved it.  She then had her first taste of cauliflower and wanted to forget the rest of her veggies and have mnore of that.  I then did syrup sponge and custard and she wolfed that down with extra helpings of custard.  A couple of weeks ago she wouldn't eat anything yellow!!! 

She too is a bit picky with fruit but absolutly loves strawberries (expensive at this time of year but worth it if it means she is getting some fruit).  I've also tried her on those School Bars which are pureed fruit in a sausage shape, she loves those too, so that's my alternative to the real thing.

The youngest (now 13 months) came to us still eating baby food, so I am trying to wean her off of that.  She is currently having a day of baby cereal and then a day when I do her ready brek or Weetabix and i hope then to drop the baby cereal in a week or so.  Lunch she has  mixed days of things I've mashed (although she's not keen on lumps) and baby jars and again gradually over time will drop the baby jars.  Tea she now has finger sandwichs and then mashed banana and yogurt.  She's still on two 9oz feeds per day but is getting to drink less and less of her morning one, although she is still on SMA Gold so I am now going to try and do half and half with full milk and hope to get her onto full milk soon.  When is it appropraite to drop the morning feed?

I think even as adults we all go through fussy phases, there will be things we like that we suddenly go off of so I am not so worried about her turning her nose up at things but I can't help but feel sad that she's wasting food when al these people are starving in the world and would be grateful for what I've just put in the bin.  Well they are both stirring now so time for breakfast!!!

Love
Karen x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Karen

Ben's the same age as your youngest and he still has a cup of milk in the morning and before bed - usually about 7oz each time.  It's something I'll keep up for a long time to come yet, with the bedtime milk being the last to go.  I did it that way with Jack too.  Although I suppose you could drop the morning feed now, but I think they need X amount of milk each day (can't remember exactly how much now), although of course if they're having cheese and yoghurt that counts towards this recommended daily amount. 

Once they are 1 you can just switch to full fat cows milk, and don't need to wean it off.  The only reason it's not recommended before 12 months is that it can cause problems with the kidneys in the long term as the protein levels are much higher than in formula, and also because it is nutritionally not as good as formula, but by 1 a good varied diet is usually established and kidneys are mature enough to take the cows milk, so it's fine to switch. 

Once I switched Jack and Ben to cows milk (which I did a couple of weeks after their first birthday) I started giving them a baby multivitamin to compensate for the loss of the nutrients in the formula.  Probably not really necessary, but it makes me feel better that they have it.  Didn't think they'd like the milk initially as it's not sweet like formula, but they didn't seem bothered and just drunk the same amount as usual. 

You could always try her with some fingers of toast and small cubes of cheese at breakfast time too.  Ben loves this and it makes a change from the weetabix or porridge (which is also what I give him).  Although I usually save the toast for the weekends as it takes too long when I have to be out to get Jack to nursery. 

Haven't heard of those fruit school bars.  Will have a look out for them in the shops tomorrow  :)

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
263 Posts
Karen - I did mean to reply to you before, but didn't have much time over Christmas. You sound like you're doing pretty well - all I can say is try to keep calm if you can. We've had ups and downs with Hannah but she does tend to eat a reasonably varied diet now and will try new things - long may that last!! I find that trying to eat with her helps her to eat better and she often wants a taste of what we're eating.

Hannah will be 2 in March and she still has a beaker of milk either before or with breakfast (sometimes this means she eats less breakfast but she wouldn't eat cereal with milk until recently) and then another beaker before she goes to bed. The rest of the time she usually drinks diluted apple juice or water.

Hope this helps

Celia

1 - 19 of 19 Posts