Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

This probably just follows on from the other thread regarding endo and success rates, but as I am going through my first IVF wanted to get some thoughts from you all again.

Because I have endo (moderate) does this automatically mean that I won't respond well to stims drugs and have poorer quality eggs and potential embryos? I am not certain how endo affect the quality/number of eggs - can anyone shed any light on this? I have read a few things recently about this and didn't realise that endo might affect in this way. Is this correct?

I know I am worrying before I have even started the stims drugs - you know what it's like when you have got it all going round in your head!!

I have a good fsh level of 5.4 and lead as healthy a lifestyle as possible, take Zita West's multi vits & minerals, no alcohol or smoking to help things, but is this all in vain if the endo is going to mean my eggs/embryos are not good anyway?

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.
Love Alison

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Alison

Like you I was concerned about the egg quality/quantity issue. My gyno told me that endo can damage the folicles on the ovaries, therefore reducing the eggs produced. As my ovaries are stuck with adhesions, he explained that the side of the ovary that is stuck would not produce any eggs. I was also told the response is slower if your ivf is done straight after Zoladex as your ovaries are deeply surpressed. However, I dont know if all endo sufferers are likely to be slow to respond.

That said, my clinic assured me that the quality of the eggs are not affected by endo. ;). Like you I have read all sorts stating that endo can affect the quality but I have faith (and not just wishful thinking) in my consultant at the clinic.

I produced only 4 eggs, but I had been on Zoladex for 6 months and both my ovaries are stuck and damaged by endo with choc cyst. Although I had a neg result I am very comforted by the fact that all 4 eggs fertilised and turned into embryos!! 2 of which were good quality ;D The cons expects me to produce more eggs with the next tx without Zoladex.

Please dont worry as I did. I got sooo stressed out about it that I used to cry after every scan during stims. I'm sure there is no reason to think that your eggs are nothing but healthy and are just waiting to be fertilised ;) and even if you dont produce that many, so what? They only put 2 embryos back anyway ;)

I wish you all the luck in the world with your tx Alison and I'll be looking out for you.

Becca
XXX

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Becca

You are absolutely right, everyone is different and I have to keep telling myself that its quality not quantity that really matters.

Luckily I haven't had any Zoladex tx - just surgeries which so far have been successful - just one small area of endo left near one ovary. However, I know that the amount of endo doesn't relate to IF and the success of IVF.

I am going to try and take your advice and not get stressed out about the stims/scans and just wait and see what happens at egg collection time.

I really hope that your next tx is successful - do you have dates for when you can start?

Love Alison xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Alison
I posted the same question as you only on another thread. This site is so big. I have severe endo and have just had a failed IVF. I have responded quite well to all stimms apart from my last cycle.(have had 5) They increased my dose and I produced more eggs, however I think out of them all it was probably the original three that turned into the best embies.

Although this response was not the best, the quality was better than previous attempts. Like you I was worried about quality and if it was worth going on, however after reading a few of these threads I think little miracles do happen, so I may try again.

I have also just purchased the Zita West book on fertility so will try to improve my life style. Have recently started reflexology which I enjoy, whether it helps fertility or not! Am also going to try accupuncture.

Hope all goes well.
Spange

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Alison

I start my next tx with first af in Sept. I'm really excited and we hope to produce enough embryos to freeze as paying for fresh cycles is costing a fortune :p. That's a bit of wishful thinking though.

Glad to hear that your surgery was success. Have you started stimming yet?

Spange - I'm thinking of trying reflexology. I'm not convinced that it will help with IF but it sounds very relaxing.

love and luck

Becca
xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts