Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

It has helped me to read some of your messages and understand that others also suffer from this horrid thing that stops us from conceiving.
DH & I are starting our first IVF attempt in May and I read somewhere recently that women with endo have a smaller chance of success with IVF - but don't know why. I would love to hear of any success stories from ladies with endo who have conceived with IVF and any advice on how to best look after myself and keep the endo at bay. I had part of my bladder removed in December to remove a golf ball sized area of endo - I don't recommend this!! I am healing well and so far the pain is mostly gone and I want to keep it this way - but am so nervous that the drugs will make the endo come back!
It would be so good to listen to other peoples advice who have actually gone through it all - and not just the consultants' view of things!

Thank you! Alison

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hi Alison,

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to FF! It is a fab site and you will get lots of advice here.

Sorry I can't help with your ?.

Wishing you loads of luck with the IVF in May. We have a Cycle Buddies thread "Darling Buddies of May" if you are interested in having a natter.

Laine x

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hello Alison

You have really been through it.

I too have endo (mod/severe) and I am going through my 1st IVF, aged 36. I was told that endo may affect the amount of eggs collected. I am having EC tomorrow ::) they only expect to collect 3 but I have been told it's quality not quantity! I was on Zoladex for 6 mnths which may have slowed down the stims. I have been told also that a short protocol next time (if this one does nt work) may result in more follies.

Please don't be disheartened by the reduced success rate. We are all different and it only takes one good one!

Good luck

Reb
X

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all for replying and especially Whinnie - this makes me feel so much better! I am concentrating on improving my general health and therefore egg quality, in the hope that even if there aren't that many - they will be strong and healthy!!

Lucky you to have conceived with twins - what a complete miracle! I have to believe what everyone tells me - 'never give up hope'.

Thank you, Alison

·
Registered
23 Posts
hiya

i had ovarian cystectomy last year - had huge choc cyst on ovary. am now stimming - 1st ivf attempt. my follies are a little slow but it's great to hear winnie's news - congratulations & thanks for letting us know! best of luck with the twins!

best of luck alison for may.

t x

·
Registered
55 Posts
Currently resting before having our 4th go at IVF. I have stage 3 endo, both tubes are gummed up at the fimbral ends and glued to the ovaries, also tubes are stuck to my uterus and my uterus is stuck to my bowel (reminds me of tha song ' foot bone connected to the ankle bone' etc.) It's a mess in there.

I have small choc cysts on my ovaries and I respond poorly too (could be weight related tho'). I made 9 follies last cycle and they only got 4 eggs from them (that was the worst cycle of the 3 actually). We do make very nice (top grade) embies tho'. From the 3 cycles we've had, the 1st & 3rd were chem pgs. It's hard to take actually (being so close and having it all come to nothing) but I suppose it is actually pretty good as our odds of IVF success are about 15% and we've had implantation begin (but sadly fail) 2 out of 3 times now. one day it has to work, surely....

Good luck to everyone and congrats to Winnie - I dream of having twins one day, just so I don't have to go through this nightmare again.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hello Alison,

Just noticed this thread and didn't actually realise that the chance of concieving for us 'endo' gals was sightly lower - don't believe everything you read - I read far too much and its not always good for me! Everyone is different so take each thing as it comes.

My story....... well, myself and dh were married in Aug. 2000 and waited a year before ttc (I actually fell pregnant naturally in Jan 2001 after a drunken night of lust but as you can see from my notes - had a missed m/c). We began trying in Dec. 2001 while on a skiing holiday in France (nice and relaxing etc..) - of course, I thought as soon as I stopped using protection that would be it - I'd be pregnant - considering how easy it was last time after just one night.

Month after month and nothing. I wanted to get checked out after about 6 months because I felt something wasn't right but dh said it was nothing to worry about - I lasted another 6 months then put my foot down and 'told' dh that I was going to the doc to arrange tests - he begrudgingly agreed and the doc refered us to the hospital. All the numerous blood test came back ok and so did dh's sperm sample (which he was thrilled about - typical!) which meant that further tests were necessary.

I had a laporoscopy in July 2003 and the doc's at the hospital were most surprised to see that I had endo - both tubes blocked, bowel attached to womb, ovaries pinned down and not free floating - nice. They told me then that the only way we'd have children was through IVF so after I'd picked myself up off the floor thats what we did.

We started treatment in Oct. 2003 - I was injecting for 6 weeks becuase I too didn't respond that well - bloomin folicles just wouldn't grow!! Anyway, eventually they did and they collected 10 eggs from me of which 5 fertilised. However, by ET only 2 had continued to develop but that was OK, 2 was all I needed - they were of a good grade and transferred back into me on 4th Dec.

I am now lucky enough to be 21 weeks pregnant with our first child following our 1st IVF cycle. I feel so so fortunate that this has happened - we were gearing ourselves up for failure - but it worked.

I hope I have given you some inspiration when starting your treatment in May. My advice is always stay positive - its not always easy when you're stabbing yourself in the stomach every night and your hormones are going all over the place but a positive outlook does wonders. I'll be looking out for you on the 2WW board when you get your lovely postive pregnancy test!!

Love and Luck Chelsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chelsea

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to post a reply to my message. It always makes me feel so much better to hear positive success stories about IVF. You are right, sometimes it is best not to read too much about it all, because it can be disheartening before I have even started treatment! I am trying my very best to be positive - this is difficult because I don't want to set myself up for a huge fall and disappointment if it fails. However, I am certain that a positive outlook can only be beneficial for overall health and hopefully influence what's going on with my insides too! Congratulations on your pregnancy - such a wonderful outcome and it makes me determined that I am not going to let it beat me, one day it just might be me too....
That goes for all of us that are wishing for the same miracle!!!
Alison

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi girls I'm new to ff. I have severe endometriosis, but I now have an 11 week old baby girl from a frozen embryo (2nd IVF attempt) I know we are extremely lucky and it doesn't work for everybody but just wanted to give you all some hope. Don't believe everything in the text books.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I've a small question. How was it found that your, say, tubes stick to ovaries, or uterus sticks to bowel, etc.... I mean how do the doctors find out the adhesions? Only by laparoscopy? Does the Ultra Sound show the adhesions? I've been diagnosed with endo many years ago, but now have no idea what it's like inside, whether it's a total mess full of adhesions. I suppose the condition worsens as the years go by.......

It's very heartening to hear the miracles of some of you!! Mentally uplifting :)

adel

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Adel

When I first started to get serious pain - I had a laparoscopy - during this operation they get to see all of your insides and should be able to detect if any organs are stuck together - and as in my case do some laser surgery to remove endo scarring. However, I continued to get severe pain - mostly when I tried to wee - with constant bouts of cystitis like symptoms and I just felt that there was something wrong. In the end, I got an appointment with a urologist who looked inside my bladder and could see a 'mass' as he described it pressing into the wall of the bladder and he sent me for an MRI scan immediately. The scan picked up a large mass of endo in the wall of the bladder. I had surgery to remove this in December - only when he was performing the surgery did he find that my uterus was completely adhered to my bladder.
My advice is - if your instinct tells you that something is not right, be assertive and push for more investigations.
Wishing you lots of luck & never give up!
Alison

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alison, thank you so much for answering me. I used to have severe cramps at AF, now no more, but am having a lot of brief sharp pains, and I know it's not right, but doctor could never find anything in usual exam or ultra sound, and says things are fine, which I never believe :( Wish you best of luck in you first IVF :D
adel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Adel,

Alison is so right, you do have to be assertive else you can sometimes be fobbed off. The first time I had a laparoscopy to find out why I was in so much pain I was just told that they had found a cyst on my ovary but it was nothing to worry about endo was never mentioned to me. As I was a lot younger at the time and marriage/children had not even crossed my mind I thought nothing of it. It wasn't until about 2 years later and I had a suspected cyst rupture that another laparoscopy confirmed endo (which I had never heard of). I'm sure if I was told in the first place it would have kickstarted me into ttc sooner. But I guess that is history now.

It's great to see so many success stories on this thread though, so there is hope for the rest of us.

Good luck with everything.

Lou

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Lou, thank you for your words. Very sorry to learn you had suspected cyst rupture. The word "rupture" always sounds so scaring to me! It must be extremely painful. Hope your good luck is coming soon! Talk about trust in the doctors, actually I myself was the one that first suspected endo when doctor said it's nothing :( They think the patients just want to be reassured of nothing serious. Nope, we want truth not false consolation. :( I'm finding courage and hope in these boards, thanks to you all. Best luck to all (me included :)).
adel

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Alison Jane said:
Hello Adel

I continued to get severe pain - mostly when I tried to wee - with constant bouts of cystitis like symptoms and I just felt that there was something wrong. In the end, I got an appointment with a urologist who looked inside my bladder and could see a 'mass' as he described it pressing into the wall of the bladder and he sent me for an MRI scan immediately. The scan picked up a large mass of endo in the wall of the bladder.
That sounds eerily similar to my story. I too had (have?) endo, although the lump I had pushing into my bladder was about pea sized. I was in constant agony for about two years so I can only imagine what a large mass must have been like. I also had severe pain down the right hand side that I could only describe as having a little man sitting inside my abdomen thumping away all day long. At certain times of the month this was so bad I could barely walk...I thikn it might have been an dhesion on the muscle or nerve or something, although I never really found out for sure. This and the veering between constipation and the opposite because my bowels were all stuck up made my life pretty miserable. Thing was, I'd been on the pill for years and the symptoms only came out when I stopped taking it to ttc. One (less than understanding) consultant actually told me if I had a baby that would cure all my problems! :mad:

I had a laparoscopy in June 2000 and have been relatively pain free ever since. I get an occasional twinge (and a searing pain if I sneeze at certain times of the month, which is pretty bizzare) but otherwise I'm ok. Just not able to conceive.

I tried clomid but it didn't work for me, and investigations revealed slightly polycystic ovaries, one blocked tube but that ovulation was actually taking place. This makes it all the more frustrating for me because I know odds on I should have goten pregnant by now. ???
I start my first cycle of IVF at the end of May so here's hoping some of the good luck here rubs off on me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the site and have also suffered from endiodemetriosis (can never spell it!). I have just been through a 3rd IVF attempt and it was abandonded due to poor response to stims and thin uterus lining. I only produced 6 follies and they would not carry on. Maybe I should have pushed for egg collection as it is quality and not quantity! And it seems that my oestrogen levels drop with the drugs. Has anyone out there had this happen to them?

Love

Joanne 2

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hello Joanne

Sorry to hear about your abandoned cycle. I've only had one ivf attempt and it looked as though I only was only going to produce 2 follies during stims, however, by egg collection time I produced 4 eggs. There was never any mention of abandoning the cycle, and like you say it's quality not quantity. That said, my clinic offer a good refund on abandoned cycles so I guess it's in their interests to proceed (which I'm happy with).

I hope you are able to proceed further next time, albeit with fewer follies.

Good luck Joanne.

Becca
x

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
Love to read about all of you - strong and hopeful. Endometriosis and infertility are both extrememly stressful - am suffering both and working hard to remain postive and to tak econtrol of my situation. Had one failed IVF last year. Going through LIT now and then another IVF.
I wish all of us success at motherhood. May God answer our prayers and bless our hard work, courage and efforts.
Richa Saklani

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi al I am new to this site as well - had 2 cycles of IVF both very low response only 2 eggs once and one the second time (although 5 follies:) anyway just wonderring if anyone has found a clinic where they relly understand both Endo and infertility and why one causes the others and what to do about it.

thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all

I just wanted to say 'hi' really, i too suffer from endo and will be having my 3rd icsi treatment in september.
I just want to wish you all good luck!
^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^
^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^
Love
Sid*
x

1 - 20 of 25 Posts