Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just a quick question, does anyone kow anything about Endometriosis? Has anyone suffered with it.  I was reffered to a gynea at my local hospital recently and he is putting me forward for a laporoscopy to see whether the pain that I have been going through for the past few years, could posssikbly be Endometriosis.

Its so hectic at the mo and stressful, we've got that going on and on top of that I gave up smoking today (I have done really well - have not wanted one - jus keeping thinking, I want to be cig free - better chances of conceiving) on top of all that we have got over another hurdle. All our tests have come back fine, medication to be delivered next week, then I have to wait for my next period (beginning of Nov) and give the hospital a call, to start. Got the good new today, they have found a match, so no waiting. I was on cloud 9, i can only imagine how the receipient is feeling (would love to get in touch with them, but I know it is not possible)  - Anyone who is in the same boat as me, either with Endometriosis or at teh same stage in IVF/IVF egg share - private message me - I use MSN messenger, soul dlove to chat on there.

Debs :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Debs,
I was diagnosed with severe endometriosis 3 years ago.  I have had a laparoscopy which is a small slit below your belly button (keyhole surgery).  They will be able to tell you how bad it is from their look around.  Its fairly painless....just a little uncomfortable. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Debs,

I have severe endo so I should be able to tell you a bit about it.  Endo is bits of tissue that that can be found outside the uterus, usually around the pelvis.  The tissue is/resembles the endometrium of your uterus.  It therefore bleeds during your menstrual cycle.  This can be very painful as the blood has no where to go and can cause pelvic adhesions.  The ovaries and tubes are commonly affected.  The level of pain you can experience has no bearing on the severity, ie, you can have severe and have no pain and visa versa.

The treatment for endo includes lasering it or cutting it away during a lap.  It can also be treated using down regulation drugs such as Zoladex.  None of this is as a bad as it sounds.

When I had my lap to diagnose endo 2 yrs the cons did nt treat at the time  :mad:.  So I would ask the cons if he intends to treat it should you be diagnosed it.

I hope you dont get the diagnosis, but please dont worry if you do.  You will get loads of support here and your chance of pregnancy is increased following a lap, whether it be naturally or with ivf.

We have an endo board on the 'Diagnosis' thread should need any further info.

Take care (I hope I have nt frightened hun as this can be a bit daunting at first).

Love and luck.

Becca
x

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI there

thanks for your replies.

Becca, yours never scared me, it just filled in the gaps from what the docs said.  the only thing that concerns me is I am due to start the IVF in Nov, poss not going to get an appointment for the Lap for another 3 months.  It may sound weird but I am hoping it is Endo, cos it will explain the pain that I go through, but I hope it is not severe enough to reduce my chances of conceiving.

Will kee p you posted.  If you are on msn, private message me your details

Debs

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are diagnoised with endometriosis then the best treatment by far is preganancy as they normally say that a break from periods will prevent a buildup ~(hence zoladex injections)...I would imagine depending on the severity would depend on their course of action but as Becca pointed out, your pain doesnt go on the severity of your endo....you could have something the size of a pinhead and be in agony, or could be covered in it and not have any pain at all.  I know its not very pleasant but at least you are moving in the right direction.  I wouldnt worry too much about IVF starting before the laparoscopy....the clinic will be able to advise you what the best way forward is at your initial consultation.  :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Debs and Endogirl (love the name, lol).  I agree, it may be worth doing ivf before lap but I'd ask the clinic for their opinion on this so you are clear about there reasons.

I too was sooooo relieved to be diagnosed after years and years of being fobbed off by my GP.  I think things are easier to cope with when you know what you are dealing.

I'm a big numpty as I dont know how to use MSN  ^idiot^ (never been in a chat room either).  I'd love to know how you get on though so please IM me (I can do that!).

Love and luck.

Becca
x

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya Debs

I have just sent u an IM honey

Hiya Becca  :)

hope ur ok

Hiya Endogirl fabby name!!

Emilyxx

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, Not a good day today, not a happy bunny  :'(
I have been waiting for what seems like forever for my AF and finally it came today.  :)

So I phoned the hospital first thing this morning Like I was told, only to be told that I have to wait till my next period!!!!  :eek:  I nearly blew a gasket.  :mad:
they said I missed the cut off date.  If I started now, part of my treatment would be over the xmas period when they are closed.  I was so angry with them because when I phoned last week and spoke to the nurse, she asked if I had come on, told her I was due this week and would call then. She should have said then that next week will be too late to start due to cut off date blah blah, instead I have got all geared up for nothing.  Now I gotta wait another 4 weeks and then 3 weeks on top of that before I can actually start.  :'(  the more I think about it the more p'd off I am.  Want to complain but afraid it may hinder things.

so another long wait

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^hello^  All

Little update from me...As you know I was unable to start last AF due to missing the cut off date and I was really p'd off to say the least, but they say these things happen for a reason.  This week I got my hospital appt come through for my laporoscopy. They fear that I may have endiometriosis due
to pains I suffer. So I was referred to a hospital near me and on my last appointment last month, I was told it was a 3 month wait for an appointment. Was shocked when an appt for Dec 9th came thru.  So the way I see it now, if I had started IVF, I would not have been able to go for this op. Things happen for a reason eh? 

Whats happening with you guys? Hope you all are well

Debs

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^hello^ all

how is it going?  what is the update on everyone?

I had my laporoscopy on 9th December, nothing was found. Was in a bad way for a few weeks after, pain and problems with numb legs. Caught an infection so was on antibiotics over xmas so not much  ^drink^ for me. But I am ok now ^afro^

Finally started my tx. 1st down reg injection on 28th Dec, and considering I HATE  :'( needles, It has been ok. that was the one thing that was worrying me, what if I could not cope with the needles.  I have my 1st scan in a week.  Its so good to finally have the ball rolling.

I have put on a bit of weight  :'( this I know is due to giving up smoking and also xmas. I am scared to go on the scales now.

Back at work tomorrow for the first time since op, not looking forward to that, gonna be hectic. no more late nights for me now. Back to routine.

Anyway, hope everyone is well and hope to here from you all soon

Debs

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Debs
I thought I would send you a quick e-mail to say that I gave up smoking a year and a bit ago and it has been the best thing I have ever done so hang on in there ! I put on around half a stone but not bothered about that now !I also had a lap. and had small amt of Endo and all other tests are normal so are unexplained. Starting to sniff in 3 weeks time for first IVF (not to sure about it what I should be doing etc yet but sure I will learn as I go along and from this site !)
Shame to hear about your infection however at least you are fully recovered and can look forward to an exciting New Year.
Good luck with your scan.
All the best
Katie

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Katie

I have given up since October, started by using the patches but gave them up about 10 days later and did it without. My hubby still smokes but he has cut down, which is really good for him cos up until now he said he would never give up or cut down.

This is also my 1st IVF. not sniffing tho, injecting. As I am  a couple of weeks ahead of you, feel free to ask me any questions and hopefully I can tell you what I am going through so you will know whats to come.  PM me anytime.

What hospital are you under? I am with Birmingham Womens

Take care

Debs

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Debs
I went cold turkey on the cigarettes - its all or nothing with me !
Thanks so much for offering the advice - think once I get to my first scan that is when the questions will start  !  I am at Queen Marys Roehampton in London.
Best of luck and look forward to keeping in touch
Lol
Katie
x ^snowflake^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.