Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about endometriosis in the uterine wall. I had a laperoscopy and hysteroscopy on 31 August to treat my endometriosis and to remove scar tissue from a previous miscarrage. The surgery was successful but when I went for a scan to check follicle growth on friday, the doc found that there were two new growths within the uteris wall. He has prescribed Provera to bring on AF and wants to do another hysteroscopy straight after that. What I want to know is, how these lesions affect me getting pregnant?
He also wants to cause "medical menopause" to prevent further growth after surgery so that I can start an IVF program in the new year. What effects will that have? At 26 years old that sounds quite drastic!
We have already tried IUI but it was unsuccessful.

Thanks
Daisy1

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The lesions could affect you getting pregnant as if the embryo were to land on one it would not implant as there is no blood supply to sustain pregnancy.
Making you have a mini menopause sounds drastic but is actually just the administeration of drugs so that your body goes into a Non state, i.e no hormones around, no ovulation and so hopefully no chance of lesions growing again beofre IVF treatment. You would actually be on the same type of drugs for the first stage of your IVF, this way you will just be on them slightly longer. Side effects are headaches, hot flushes, feeling emotional!!!!

Ruth

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hi Daisy,

this must be all rather scary for you. I have been told too that I have endo in the uterine wall, the technical term for that is adenomyosis.

From what I've read, it should have no adverese effect on pregnancy, but there is very little info out there, because it is thought that it manly affects older women and can only be diagnosed for sure after a hysterectomy - but don't scare yourself there - anything you read about it often mentiones hysterectomy at the same because that's when it usually is diagnosed!

I have never been on Provera but I have been on hormones to shrink the endo which causes a temporary menopause. It is a very commen treatment for endo and should not affect your future fertility. It's somtimes even used as part of an IVF cycle to downregulate the body before you start stimulating the ovaries.  So the effects are not longlasting. when I had it I had monthly injections and two weeks after the last injections I was ready to start my cycle of IVF. There are some side effects like hotflushes.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your treatment.  :)      ^reiki^  

1 - 3 of 3 Posts