Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody... :)

My best friend is 24. She has high levels of FSH..She has done allready 2 IVF that failed..
Now that I had the same experience and we were talking she told me that the ET was done with an empty bladder.The doctor said to her to wee before ET.Is that right?? I mean all the articles say that ET is performed with a full bladder.... :-\

"It has been suggested that straightening the utero-cervical angle by performing ET with
a full bladder could improve pregnancy and implantation rates [6]. We have also found
that the utero-cervical angle measured by ultrasound is related to the pregnancy and
implantation rates and that patients with acute utero-cervical angles (>60j) had
significantly lower pregnancy rates compared with patients with no angles [OR=0.36; 95%
CI (0.16-0.52)] . Moulding the catheter according to the measured angle resulted in a
lower incidence of difficult transfers [OR=0.25; 95% CI (0.16-0.40)], as well as higher
pregnancy rates [OR=1.57; 95% CI (1.08-2.27)]"

source
International Congress Series 1266 (2004) 111 - 118

Title:
Embryo transfer-a critique of the factors involved
in optimizing pregnancy success

Thanks Ruth for your reply 2 days before...U were the first person who told me that I am PG!!!!
Best wishes from Greece... ^fairydust^

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
At my clinic they do it with a full bladder.  Remember that you dont need to go over the top and be full to bursting.  I found it helped to drink about 1/2 a litre and then have a wee about an hour before I had to go on and then drink another 1/2 litre on the way in.  By the time ET time had come I had to go again, but wasnt in pain from it!

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi

I agree with Megan.  Not full to bursting!  I have had to empty my bladder slightly (not completely) at one of my ETs because it was just too full and I was extremely uncomfortable.

Also, if it wasn't an ultrasound guided transfer then a full bladder is not necessary.

Daisy

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi,

I had all 3 of my ET's done with an empty bladder .. I have no idea why but my clinic ask you to empty your bladder first.

I have seen it on discovery health though that others had to have a full bladder but these all used ultrasound scans to make sure they were in the right place .. my clinic don't scan to see if they are there.

Hope this helps, congrats thinkpositive!

Love Westies

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
In my last centre it was full bladder unless womb retroverted and at this centre always empty!!! I personally think it depends on consultant preference, plus some can be very cruel and make you wait with full bladder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^evil^

Ruth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts