Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Katie is 5 months and LOVES being in her babywalker, although only for a few minutes. But my friend came round and was aghast that she was in it, and says she's too little still (oops, naughty mummy!) Apparently these can actually delay walking skills and affect little feet growing. I feel really bad now - has anyone else heard this?

Also, am I right in thinking she is old enough for a door bouncer-she holds her head up really well. Mine is second hand, so no guidance on it.

Last query - how long (age) do I need to sterilise bowls and bottles for?

Thanks girls

Lucy x

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Lucy,

My (limited) experience of these is with my nephew - he is 12 now and still walks on his toes because of a baby walker - great if he ever wanted to become a professional tap dancer, but perhaps not so good overall.

If you wanted me to find out more e.g what age he used it from/how long he was in it/what real problems he's had etc, I can try to. Sorry not very pratical advise really and know nothing about your other 2 q's.

Good luck finding out - hugs to Katie

Love Fiona xxx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Lucy

I think Joe was 6 months before he went in the walker and door bouncer, but if she is holding her head up and can support herself then your her mum. Joe walked at a year and 18 days.

I think you should still sterilise up to a year i am not certain about that but think i read it somewhere and i did that.

Hope that helps

Love Kim x x x

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Lucy

As Kim says the important thing with baby bouncers is that they can hold their head up.

Baby walkers can cause babies to walk on their toes or onto the side of their feet. You need to make sure that Katie is able to straighten her legs so she isnt walking with bent legs. As you have been doing- only keep your little one in for a few minutes and make sure that she cant fall down any steps. I could tell you a horror story about a baby walker and stairs but I wont!

As warm milk is a good breading ground for bacteria bottles etc should be sterilsed for 12 months to protect against infection.

Hope that helps

Love

Jeanette

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Lucy

I hadn't really thought about using a babywalker so can't really comment on that. As for the baby bouncer we're like you with a second hand one with no instructions but one of my friends was going to give me a copy of her instructions. They are OK to use once baby can hold up their head. I tried using ours a month or so back but either hadn't got her in it properly or she was too small as I ended up with a flying baby rather than a bouncing baby and she didn't really like it. You need to get them in the sling part lying on the floor and then attach it to the bouncing part. We tried again yesterday and it was more successful.

As for sterilising, bottles should definitely be sterilised up to a year but it's not as important with bowls after 6 months as by then all sorts are going in their mouths and you can't put all your cooking utensils in the steriliser. I often pour boiling water on my blender before using that and haven't had any problems so far.

Celia

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Girls

Thanks for all your advice. Fiona, thats dreadful about your nephew, such a shame. The babywalker is definetly going back into the loft for a bit. I think Katie just likes it because it holds her upright, so I will let her play in her highchair instead.

Celia, I have got visions of your daughter flying round the room in her door bouncer. I think these are really funny, but I don't know what stops them nutting themselves on the doorframe. I might have a go at the weekend.

Hope all you other mums are getting on well with your bundles of trouble!

Lucy x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Lucy

We didn't use a baby walker for Jack (I too heard too many horror stories and didn't want to risk it. My mum was desperate for him to have one though, so that was a real battle!). We did however get him one of those push along, musical walkers which was really good for when he was about 1. He walked alone at 14 months.

I used a Tommie Tipetoes (spelling????) door bouncer which was suitable from around 3 months, but felt he benefited from it most at around 6 months. When it's used, you just adjust the straps so the baby literally stands on it's tipetoes and can therefore only bounce a little. I think it can be dangerous if they are swinging all over the place as there's a risk of the thing coming off the top of the door. Don't know though, other brands may say different. I found this really handy as he loved being upright in it and would dangle around for ages watching me do my make up/get ready to go out, etc.

As for sterilising, well, my dh baked our microwave steriliser at 9 months and we decided that as our son was already putting everything under the sun into his mouth by then, we wouldn't bother buying another one and therefore sterilising went out of the window (I was going to do it for a year). He was having all his drinks from a beaker by then anyway, so I didn't worry too much about the bottles. Obviously, milk is an extremely good breeding ground for bacteria, so we were scrupulous about the washing of his cups (and everything else) and I am pleased to say he's never had a sicky tummy.

Love

J

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Wow Jac - they were early walkers. Quite scary I imagine at that age as they're legs were obviously more advanced than their brains ;D ie. bet they bumped into things a lot!

J

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jac and J

Thanks for the advice. It won't be long til you are joining us over here jac, then you can fret about babywalkers along with the rest of us new mums! Nine months to be walking is AMAZING!! Mind you, peanut might be the same with all the play-chasing I expect Chase will be doing.

J I will try the door bouncer tonight ans report back!!

Lucy

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Lucy - How did the bouncer go?

J

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi folks

Well the door bouncer got a mixed reception - katie sort of sat there a bit then cried, so maybe we need to come back to it. I tried using it by myself yesterday and got her completely stuck. I've probably given her a complex now. The straps are a nightmare! So the bouncer gets only five out of ten at the mo. She loves the babywalker though, and she is desperate to go in it. This can be difficult, because she's lost interest in things like her play gym, but I don't want to put her in the walker for hours on end.

Allie, have you tried a bouncer yet?
Hope everyone else is doing well

Lucy x

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Sorry Lucy, seemed to have missed this thread. I haven't tried a baby bouncer yet. However, my friend's daughter (who is 6 wks older than Kirstie) has one and absolutely loves it. She also has a baby walker which Kirstie sat in the other day (looking a bit bemused) but DH has said he doesn't want kirstie to have one :-\. Mind you I 'm not overly keen on them myself as I remember my brother falling out of his several times with varying degrees of bruising and cut lips but this was obviously years ago and they look a lot sturdier now.

I did find the link to the research on the effects of the use of baby walkers:

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/news/jun%2002/210602_babywalkers.asp

The article is quite anti. However, I think that like most things in life, if they are used in moderation they will be fine - and you only have to see Jac's post to see that the article doesn't reflect everyone's experiences of the walkers!! I have to say that my friends daughter looks really happy moving around (backwards mind you !) in hers.

As far as moving goes - Kirstie is really getting about by rolling now - time to get the playpen out for hen I need to nip out of the room!!

Have you had a better response re the door bouncer yet? I quite fancy getting one of them.

Love Allie

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for that link allie. Its certainly made me think twice about katies walker. She really loves it, and is now getting about really well in it. But its definetly going to be rationed from now on. The baby door bouncer is getting more fun too, but I can't get katie in and out of it by myelf without getting into a real mess, so it doesn't come out very often.

Glad to hear that kirstie is getting about so well! Bet you can't take your eyes off her can you! By the way, did you ever manage to get her to have a nap in the day?

Hope everyone else is ok

Lucy x

·
Registered
263 Posts
We've been using the door bouncer more as well and Hannah seems to enjoy it now. Today she was balanced just on one foot for some reason and ended up spinning herself around!! The best way to get them in is to lie them on the floor and put them in the harness, then attach the metal bar and then attach that to the main bouncer. I got in a mess the first time I tried but can do it on my own now!!

I don't think it will be long before Hannah is crawling. She gets up on all fours but can't quite coordinate herself to move yet. However she does manage to shuffle, especially if she wants to get to something. We had a bit of an upset this morning as both she and the cat were on the bed with me and Hannah was determined to 'stroke' the cat (this ends up with the cat's fur being pulled). Our cat is very good with her but eventually got fed up and cuffed Hannah around the ear!! No real harm done, but just shows you have to watch them at all times!!

Celia

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Celia - It sounds like Hannah will be crawling soon. HOw will we keep up with them? I'm already having trouble keeping up with the rolling ::) ;D ;D. The Baby Den playpen arrived today so at least I can pop out of the room for a couple of moments now.

Lucy- I didn't mean to sound really negative about the walkers. It sounds as if they are fine for short periods. Kirstie often has a nap. But only when she wants to - i.e. still no routine in this house! ::) ;)

Catch up soon

Allie

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have room for a baby walker so Lily only gets to have a little go when we go to my mums house!!

Just a little note about naps - Lily never used to have a nap but she has been crawling for about 3 weeks now and goes down for about a hour in the afternoons now- she must crawl for miles so it obviously tires her out!!

Nat

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

Just thought i'd add comment here on our experience.

Henry had one but I can't remember exactly when we got it - I reckon 5-6 months. We got ours from Mothercare but made sure we limited it's use and to be honest he just sat still playing it in most of the time.

He was a very early walker - 10 unaided steps at the age of 10 months + 10 days so it definately didn't hinder him. He also had a tippitoes door bouncer.

But, his little friend seemed to always be in hers and she didn't walk unaided until she was about 18m!!!

S xxxx

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
hi
resurrecting this one again!
By baby walkers do you mean the things they are surrounded by or just the push along musical trolleys?
sorry to sound dim! I have one of the latter where he holds on to a handle and can push it around (well not very much yet as he is only just starting but that's the idea!)
Are these bad too?

Elvie

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
No elvie

This is about the ones you sit them in. I used one for Joe and he is fine but some people  tend to leave them in them for ages and thats what causes the problems.

Love Kimx x x

1 - 20 of 21 Posts