Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice.  I've gone through 8 months of fertility treatments and got pregnant in August via IVF.  I'm now in my 14th week and am wondering if it's safe to start exercising .. or if anyone here exercises?  I'm not talking 40 minutes of heavy duty sweating, but was thinking starting gentle with perhaps 10 minutes on a stationary bike (if it's comfortable with my tummy) and 10 minuites walking on a treadmill.  Also, what about an eliptical?  Any thoughts or personal experiences?  Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi

I was an exercise junkie before I got pregnant - but did not exercise in 2ww and then had OHSS - another 4 weeks with no exercise - then some bleeding .

The midwife advised me not to exercise at all  - except gentle swimming and walking as I then had not excercised for 10 weeks. So I did very little for the whole pregnancy

I did do antenatal aqua-robics whic was really gentle and relaxing

Hels

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I think anything that's low impact would be perfectly safe, Main thing is to just make sure you don't get too hot or too out of breath, and drink plenty of water - common sense stuff really  :)  Yoga designed for pregnancy is supposed to be very good at keeping things toned too and then you could maybe do a bit of swimming (which is of course also great for toning) or walking to take care of the and cardio side of things. 

Personally I don't think you can beat swimming for a safe exercise to do whilst pg. 

Jayne x

·
Registered
18 Posts
On finding out I was pregnant I have joined my local gym! They were great at advising on what's safe and what's not. On their advice I have decided to keep to just swimming until after 12 weeks and then try Yoga classes and some walking/jogging and cycling!
I feel that it's almost more important to be fit and healthy during pregnancy than any other time, after all you have to give birth at the end of it - what could be more strenuous than that!
Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy xx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,
Thanks all for answering and sharing what you're doing.  I asked my gym about the various yoga classes that they provide (hatha, viniyoga and power) and the lady said that they all may be a bit too streneous and suggested pilates instead.  I'm hesitant to try pilates while pregnant because I don't want to strain my abdominal.

I did try walking on a treadmil and a stationary bike on the weekend and they went ok (although I'm not sure how much longer i'll be able to cycle as my stomach felt like it was in the way).
It's too bad our gym doesn't have a pool since you're all suggesting it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts