Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a very hungry baby and am at the moment managing to BF him with a 4 oz formula top up in the evening after a marathon feed of breast.  Francis will always feed for 20-25 mins on each breast and he feeds a lot during the day no pattern.  I did in the early days express after a feed and do 10mins each side which would give me 1.5-2oz, howvere I felt like all I was doing was feeding or expressing (this was to avoid giving him the evening formula).  Howvere I will need to express next week as I have a hen do to go to in 2weeks and although I will only be away for 3hours I can guarantee francis will want a feed in that time (he cluster feeds in the afternoons/evenings and wants feeding constantly from 4-5pm until he goes to bed finally at 9-10pm)
I have read back and a lot of advice seems to be to express from side he doesn;t take much from but he always stays on each side and I have to take him off the breast after 25mins (was advised by HV to feed like this as he was feeding sooooooooooo much)

Francis is a big baby and was born on 98th centile only lost 2% bodyweight and is still on around 98th centile  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

what should I do to get best EBM without spending all day feeding/expressing, should I just do a bit at a time and stockpile in preparation?

thanks strawbs
xx

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hi Strawbs

Ethan was a 20-25 mins on each breast baby too!! Greedy boys!! He was also high on the centiles (90 something - can't remember exactly!).

When I did need to express to get a bit stocked up in the fridge I found doing it about an hour or so after the first feed of the day was best. I would do it from both breasts until empty. A few mornings of this would give enough for a few feeds. Milk supply is def best in the morning.

You will be surprised what a difference a month or so will have made to how much you will get. When they are little and you first express it is only a few ounces. This happened to me too but when he was older I could get 5-6 oz in one go.

Nicky x

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi Strawbs,
I agree with Nicky, I BF my twins but still managed to pump a lot out each day - I would do it mid-morning and get about 5oz from each breast within about 5 minutes! If I expressed in the evenings, I never got as much. I also gave a formula feed before bed, I think this worked well for both the girls and me!
xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts