Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Over three years

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there many mothers here still breastfeeding their LO after 18 months?

I don't feel very supported as most women seem to stop before their child is a year old, but I am keen to do what feels best for my little boy and at the moment we still want to continue.

Thanks in advance for any responses or advice.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Hi strawberry

Still going with it here! It seems we are a rare breed
Tbh I'm desperate to stop but LO has other ideas.
I totally agree extended breastfeeding is not the "done thing" it would seem.
People think u should just stop at 6 months .
Which is ludicrous as in my opinion it takes 3 to 6 months to get into the excuse the pun but flow with it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there many mothers here still breastfeeding their LO after 18 months?

I don't feel very supported as most women seem to stop before their child is a year old, but I am keen to do what feels best for my little boy and at the moment we still want to continue.

Thanks in advance for any responses or advice.
Hi strawberry

Still going with it here! It seems we are a rare breed
Tbh I'm desperate to stop but LO has other ideas.
I totally agree extended breastfeeding is not the "done thing" it would seem.
People think u should just stop at 6 months .
Which is ludicrous as in my opinion it takes 3 to 6 months to get into the excuse the pun but flow with it.
Great to hear from you, thanks for replying and well done on keeping going so long too 😊 I'm not used to this new version of the website yet, not sure how to navigate it, preferred it before!

I agree it does take months to get into it (bf) but I'm not keen on stopping partly because he'll be our only child and once I stop that's it! He comes first of course but he has no desire to stop at the moment either! Apparently some children stop naturally, but my husband says that won't happen and is probably worried it will never end! 😅

I do think it's a shame to only breastfeed for a few months or weeks, but I am lucky that I haven't had to go back out to work, which I know is the main reason most women stop.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I’m still going and my one just turned 4 😳 but it’s obviously not all the time and just as we snuggle down for bed and as soon as she wakes up in the morning, I really don’t think there is anything left and it’s just for comfort, this is the longest I’ve fed for it’s usually around 2, I’ve just left this up to her and atm she is happy to continue.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m still going and my one just turned 4 😳 but it’s obviously not all the time and just as we snuggle down for bed and as soon as she wakes up in the morning, I really don’t think there is anything left and it’s just for comfort, this is the longest I’ve fed for it’s usually around 2, I’ve just left this up to her and atm she is happy to continue.
Hi Stacey thanks for replying! Did your other two who stopped around 2 stop on their own accord or how did you wean them?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I just slowly cut down on their feeds, offer in meals before hand so they didn’t solely rely on boob, the nights and mornings were always the last to go

·
Registered
133 Posts
Still breastfeeding at 18 months, many many times a day as she's a little boob monster g

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not quite 18 months yet, but still breastfeeding at 16, and I don't see it stopping soon.
If anything, he now wants it more than before. He used to be not interested in it during the day, now he started to lift my t-shirt trying to nurse 😆

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still breastfeeding at 18 months, many many times a day as she's a little boob monster g
Thanks that's good to hear 😊 La Leche League advised me to not offer but not refuse for gradual weaning, which is what I've been doing anyway (apart from bedtime when I don't know how I'd get him to sleep otherwise!)
Not quite 18 months yet, but still breastfeeding at 16, and I don't see it stopping soon.
If anything, he now wants it more than before. He used to be not interested in it during the day, now he started to lift my t-shirt trying to nurse 😆
Yes can be awkward when they do that! Always seems to happen when people are watching 😯 I'd like to train him out of that but not sure it's possible!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I've got a boob monster too.
I honestly think he prefers it to food.
He seems no where near ready to stop.
I wanted to stop on his 2nd birthday ideally but were not on track for that at all.
At night when hes teething he can feed for up to 5 hours !!!😭😭

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a boob monster too.
I honestly think he prefers it to food.
He seems no where near ready to stop.
I wanted to stop on his 2nd birthday ideally but were not on track for that at all.
At night when hes teething he can feed for up to 5 hours !!!😭😭
We're not in track for two either! Yes teething does affect things!! 🤪 It's nice to be able to offer comfort to them at this young age, definitely glad I opted for bf but it can be hard work sleep wise 😵

1 - 11 of 11 Posts