Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im Louise ,33.
After 5yrs TTC, have been told I have cancer of my womb lining, my consultant seems to think a hysterectomy is my only safe option as any hormone treatment will promote the growth of cancer. Obviously this was a devestating blow to us, especially after we found out a week after we got married. Just when we thought we were getting closer, we were dealt this blow.

Im new to this, so not sure how it works, but Im just looking to talk to someone in a similar situation,or anyone who can give advice. We have an appointment tomorrow to discuss our options such as freezing my eggs for a surrogate, but I have no idea what this all entails or what is ahead. I would love to talk to anyone who has any such experiences.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Hi

I didn't want to read and run I have no 'real' help to offer you but wanted to send you a  ^hugme^.

There is a surrogacy board further down the page where i'm sure you will find ladies who can help with that aspect.

Thinking of you at this difficult time.

Bev xx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev, sure someone will pop up with some advice, surrogacy is a way off yet, got to have the hysterectomy first, which will be tough, although i dont think i have an option.
I know there are other routes we can take, but its had to be told you wont be able to carry your own child when its the thing you want most. I know hubby is upset too,and he is very supportive, just dont think he knows what to say.

Lou

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Lou,

I am sorry I know nothing about surrogacy, but I wanted to give you lots of  ^hugme^ and  ^reiki^
Future Mummy

·
Registered
661 Posts
Louise, I'm so sorry to hear this. What an awful thing to face.

My advice for your appointment tomorrow would be to ask your consultant what the possible alternatives are to a full hysterectomy. Sometimes hosptials/surgeons are quick to advise what is best and most convenient and cost effective for them rather than what you may like.

a very close friend of mine was diagnosed with cervical cancer in her late 20s and was told she should have a hysterectomy. She went away and did her own research and discovered that were alternatives - and now she has a 4 year old daughter.

Obviously your cancer is in the womb and it could be that hysterectomy is your only option but make sure you know everything before taking that step.

All the best for tomorrow. I'm so sorry you are faced with this, sometimes life just doesn't seem fair.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi Louise

I'm really glad you posted on here, I'm sure that other girls will be in to post who can share their experiences with youx

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck for tomorrow and truly hope that you can get some clarity.  Will be thinking of you and DH.

Loujx  :-*

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
hi there funkylady :)

so sorry you have this to contend with now as you thought things were on the up, i am going to leave you some links to take a peak at, i am no expert on cancer or surrogacy but there are threads on here dedicated to these so here goes

infertility through cancer click ~ http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=115.0

surrogacy click ~ http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=57.0

im sure if you have any ??'s the people who post here will help all they can ^hugme^ again sorry you have to go through all of this + wish you all the best at your appointment tommorow :)

xxx

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Hi Louise
I am sorry to hear about your hysterectomy ^Cuddle^.
You've been given some great advice, just wanted to wish you all the best for your appointment.
Do let us know how you get on ^hugme^
Take care
Lotsa love
Gayn
XX

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Hello Louise ^hugme^

We spoke really briefly in chat yesterday am before I vanished into the snug for the 2ww chat. 

What you were talking about really touched me yesterday and I was wondering if anyone had been able to help you, who had some experience. 

I really hope that today's appointment went well, and I am  ^pray^ really hard for you that there is any way around a full hysterectomy.  I also ^pray^ that you and your DH and family find the strength to carry you through.

Take care of yourself,
Julie XXXX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to update you after appointment  today.
We were a little unsure as to what we were going for, but it seems they now want to take my ovaries as well, for obvious reasons I am very reluctant to go ahead with this, so have a further appointment with my fertility consultant fri, and also upcoming MRI scan to find extent of the cancer. It may be that freezing my eggs may not be an option, maybe adption will be our only choice.
There are so many things to think about and questions to ask, I suppose I need to get over the cancer hurdle first.
You may find me on many other boards in the future looking for advice, this is a great website its nice to talk to people going through it aswell, you know what most men are like, strong silent type.

Louise

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi Louise

Thank you for the update!  I understand totally, it's not always easy to get our dh's to discuss these issues and again so glad you have found FF!  It sounds like you will ensure that you will push your clinic and consultants to explore all options for you, you go girl!  (sorry that sounds a bit Gok lol)! 

Fingers crossed for your MRI scan, is that scheduled in soon?

Louj x  :)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Louise, ^hugme^
I really can't imagine how you are feeling, but I am so glad you found FF, who I am sure will help you so much.  Men don't really talk through things do they, and it's hard when it's not actually them going through the physical things.  I hope there will be some lovely ladies on here who have been through similar experiences that you can buddy up with.

I really hope you get answers to all your questions, and wish you lots of luck for your MRI scan.

Take care,
Julie
XXX

·
Registered
422 Posts
Louise I would really push to understand why they need to take your ovaries as well. If they are worried treatment could cause abnormal growth of the lining, I don't see why they can't do the partial hysterectomy first to remove the womb and then you could undergo an IVF cycle with a surrogate as recipient. I am obviously not a doctor, but I think it's really worth pushing them to at least explain what the risks are of leaving you with your ovaries for another year or so - you could potentially have a subsequent operation to remove them when you've had a chance to produce your embryos.

Re freezing eggs, the technology is new and relatively unproven. You are better off freezing embryos where the technology is much better and you'll have a broader choice of clinics to work with. Of course you should talk to clinics which do have the egg freezing technology before you decide.

On the other side, my understanding is that the cancer you have has a very good prognosis. My mother had the same thing at the age of 55, had a hysterectomy and needed no chemo or anything else subsequently, and is still cancer free 20 years later. I know it's not the same as she had already had her children.

I hope you get a chance to fulfill your dreams, even if they have to be slightly different than you first thought.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dear Louise,
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through.

I'm sure you'll find lots of girls on FF who'll be able to relate to what you're feeling and will give you the strength to deal with what each day throws at you.

Not sure that I can be of any help to you but the only thing I would say is that I happen to have a DH who is very good at talking about things but I've still felt frustrated about the whole IF issue.  I think it's just something very difficult for men to comprehend.  The don't know what it feels like to imagine the possibility of having another life growing inside them, and so they can't imagine what it's like to have the possibility of that being taken away from them.  Sorry - hope I've not upset you - I know it upsets me thinking about these things but I just wanted to try & help you understand that I think we all basically feel like our other halfs can't fully understand what we're going through. It's not just you.

Only other thing I'd add, if it's any help at all, is to make sure you take some ear plugs along for your MRI. Not sure whether you've had one before but I've had two and the thing I found most scary was the loud noises the machine makes.  If you stick some plugs in, then the hospital gave me some 'ear muff type headphone things', it's much better.
^hugme^  ^hugme^  ^hugme^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts