Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologise if this has been answered a million times before but I have confused myself- This is what happens when you persuade GP to to tests she doesn't really understand!

I just got results back

DNA extraction
Factor 5 Leiden Mutation        Heterozygote
MTHFR Mutation                    Heterozygote
PT 20210A                            Not detected

Does this mean I have got those mutations but only one copy? or that I havn't ? as all the results I looked at when I searched this board seem to have a number next to them like the PT result.

My GP said that it was a bit technical and printed a copy for me.

I hadn't planned on having full immunes done as I am having my first IVF in Feb  (abroad) after 7 failed iui's- I could do without paying for another conultant to be honest?

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
in the FAQ under T for thrombophilia, but yes, you have the mild form of both of those sticky blood tendencies.  immune fertility docs would normally put you on a little extra folic acid e.g., 800mcg for 3 months before your IVF and all through Tx and pg (for the MTHFR hetero) as well as clexane (and possibly aspirin) for both from about day 5 of your stimms until at least 12 weeks of pg (probably longer)

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help Agate- your expertise is much apreciated. Do you happen to know what the thoughts are on safety taking contrapceptive pilll as part of protocol- I have to take it for 3 weeks as I am on short protocol?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oo that's interesting I was thinking about pill being risk factor with factor v bit I didn't realise it could effect response - thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
assuming you are going to speak to your doc about getting clexane etc - i would guess you check with them - but my guess would be that being on the pill for 3 weeks wouldn't be much risk - but maybe your doc could advise you about perhaps taking aspirin as a precaution?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm seeing gp on Monday and have emailed my consultant - I will now be asking about adding buserlin to protocol after reading that article - I'm assuming pill is risk as raises oestrogen like pregnancy so same treatment should work - going to add steroid to rather than thinking about any more testing.

Thanks so much for your advice - you've chilled me out a bit !

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
your estrogen levels towards the end of ivf stimms will be MUCH higher than on bcp - but its all for such a short time that i expect your docs will confirm risk is v low

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.