Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Peter,

We underwent one fresh IVF cycle in March which unfortunately resulted in a negative.
We were due for ET of our Frozen Embryo's today.

Yesterday the clinic called to say that 3 out of the 4 embryo's had survived the thaw, and we were so happy with this.

However,this morning they called to say that none of the embryo's had continued dividing so we were to cancel the transfer.

I feel devestated and also feel I really don't understand why this happens. Is it just bad luck ? Would there have been something wrong with the embryo's? They supposedly looked great when they were frozen....

I'm 29, have had an ectopic which has damaged my tube, and whilst they were performing the operation they discovered i had only been born with one ovary and one fallopian tube, hence IVF.

Everything else appears normal, as is the case with my husband, also 29.

I feel so despondent and depressed today ,full of dread for the future and convinced nothing will work.

Is there any point in thinking of changing clinics? Or am I just looking for someone to blame?.

Any advice would be appreciated, even an explanation on why the embryo's would have stopped dividing - is this just because the process of freezing is a harsh one and these things happen ?

I have an appt with my consulant next wednesday, so i am hoping we can get started on another fresh cycle as soon as possible...

Thanks in advance hugely, its lovely to have someone to talk to.

Victoria x

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

Victoria said:
Dear Peter,

We underwent one fresh IVF cycle in March which unfortunately resulted in a negative.
We were due for ET of our Frozen Embryo's today.

Yesterday the clinic called to say that 3 out of the 4 embryo's had survived the thaw, and we were so happy with this.

That's good

However,this morning they called to say that none of the embryo's had continued dividing so we were to cancel the transfer.

That's bad!

I feel devestated and also feel I really don't understand why this happens. Is it just bad luck ? Would there have been something wrong with the embryo's? They supposedly looked great when they were frozen....

I am suspicous about the freezing skills in infertility clinics in general. Some don't bother (see my article on www.ivf.net) and others do it with very poor results such as this. Go back to the clinic and ask for a detailed explanation about waht happened.

I'm 29, have had an ectopic which has damaged my tube, and whilst they were performing the operation they discovered i had only been born with one ovary and one fallopian tube, hence IVF.

Sorry to hear this, IVF is certainly the best option for you

Everything else appears normal, as is the case with my husband, also 29.

I feel so despondent and depressed today ,full of dread for the future and convinced nothing will work.

Don't but if you are unhappy go to another clinic who are good a freezing (there are plenty out there!!).

Is there any point in thinking of changing clinics?

Yes, see above.

Or am I just looking for someone to blame?.

No, freezing and thawing is a simple procedure in experienced hands

Any advice would be appreciated, even an explanation on why the embryo's would have stopped dividing - is this just because the process of freezing is a harsh one and these things happen ?

No, more lilely poor freezing thawing technique.

I have an appt with my consulant next wednesday, so i am hoping we can get started on another fresh cycle as soon as possible...

Good but argue for a free cycle if there is any hint of incompetence

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks in advance hugely, its lovely to have someone to talk to.

Victoria x

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks peter, for your speedy and helpful response.

Could i just ask you a couple more questions, as I would like to get things straight in my head before my appt next wednesday.

I have spoken again to my clinic, who categorically state that 'these things just happen' and it would be the harsh process of freezing and thawing that has caused them to halt division.

Do you not agree with this ? I just don't know what to say in response if this is our only explanation, having no medical knowledge.

It breaks my heart to think they might never have had a chance due to techniques, rather than mother nature, cruel as i know she can be...

I am at the Lister, and I know you advised another girl, Lou, after her horrid fet experiences. The strange thing is, is that we were recommended the Lister as they had a strong background with embryology, though this now seems to be the a little hard to believe.

I would really appreicate it if you could arm me with a little knowledge so that I know what I should be expecting.

Many thanks again

Victoria

·
Registered
856 Posts
Victoria said:
Thanks peter, for your speedy and helpful response.

Could i just ask you a couple more questions, as I would like to get things straight in my head before my appt next wednesday.

I have spoken again to my clinic, who categorically state that 'these things just happen' and it would be the harsh process of freezing and thawing that has caused them to halt division.

These things do just happen but for it to happen to 3/4 embryos is a bit suspicious. Freezing and thawing is not harsh if it is done properly on good qaulity embryos.

Do you not agree with this ?

Yes and no. See above

I just don't know what to say in response if this is our only explanation, having no medical knowledge.

Ask for a full, face-to-face explanation of what happened and why. It's easy to hide behind 'these things happen'.

It breaks my heart to think they might never have had a chance due to techniques, rather than mother nature, cruel as i know she can be...

I can't be sure of this but you need to question them to check that this was not the case.

I am at the Lister, and I know you advised another girl, Lou, after her horrid fet experiences. The strange thing is, is that we were recommended the Lister as they had a strong background with embryology, though this now seems to be the a little hard to believe.

No comment, I don't want a law suit against me!!

I would really appreicate it if you could arm me with a little knowledge so that I know what I should be expecting.

Freeze/thaw success should be in the region of 70-80% (per embryo frozen). Pregnancy rates should be just lower than fresh. Ask for this information and if it is not as it should be ask why.

Good luck!

Peter

PS if you want me to review your case fully then see my note on embryology consultations

Many thanks again

Victoria

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
HI Victoria

I have just seen this post and just wanted to say how sorry I am this has happened.

I must say it is like reading my own post isnt it. Strange how almost the exact same thing that happened to me has happened to you too.

I am due to go back in 2 weeks for my follow up so I will let you know what they tell me.

IM if you ever need a chat.

Love Lou xxxx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your message Lou. Have you not been back yet for an explanation at all?

I will go armed with the little bit of knowledge I have, but ultimately I have to believe that 'these things do happen'.

I am going in next Wednesday, so will also let you know the outcome.
With our very similair ages/history I think it would be interesting to follow up.

Take care, chin up, and heres to the future xxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Hi Victoria

I deliberatly havent been back yet as my head has been full of hot air and I havent coped very well with all of it.

I am due to go back a week on Tuesday and I should then start sniffing the following Sunday.

To be honest I am still at a loss as to what I am going to say. Are you seeing Mr Gafar?

We am considering suggesting that we only freeze next time any making it to blast stage although I know they are not very experienced in this.

Good luck with you apt, let me know how things go and what answers they give you.

Love Lou xxx

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
bump for victoria x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts