Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer any advice on this?

DD has just turned 2.  She has always ALWAYS been fearful of certain noises but recently it's been getting a great deal worse.  She is an otherwise outgoing, confident child who handles nursery well and isn't too clingy, but she has this fear of certain sounds.  From about 9 months old I had to give up hoovering and using anything like the food mixer when she was about as it would make her panic and get distressed.  Now she is able to vocalise better when something upsets her, the list is just increasing and her behaviour getting more adgitated.  The following are things which she gets upset by which I can think of off the top of my head:

Hoover - and if she sees the hoover in the cupboard or the nursery hoover, she says "oh no, oh dear" and won't go anywhere near it and will end up crying if you don't remove either it, or her, from the area.
Food mixers, hand mixers, etc
Fan heaters (big response from these - abject panic, leaves the room and slams the door to get away from them, very unhappy even if switched off)
Ceiling fans or electric fans (major meltdown at Grandmas when the ceiling fan was put on in the conservatory, and almost a year on from the event, she still remembers and won't go into that room)
Hairdryers, electric toothbrushes.
Tumble dryer
Boiler (when it fires up especially.  She is using the loo now, but won't use the downstairs loo as it means going into the utility at the back where the boiler is, and she refuses point blank)
Planes - microscopically quiet planes in the sky which we wouldn't even conciously notice, will send her running to find one of us)
Bubble blowing toy in the bath - it has a motor and she won't let anyone turn it on.
In the supermarket, down the refrigerated aisle (when the fridges hum or rattle)

She's never had a shock or distressing incident from something which makes similar noise, and her hearing seems fine.  We took her on a plane holiday last year fearing the low rumbling noise might upset her on the flight, but she didn't bat an eyelid on that one, so I don't think it's down to low pitch noises.

If something upsets her she will start by saying "no, noisy" or "scary" then start shaking her head and if the offending noise isn't stopped then she will do anything she can to get away from it and it will end up in crying and sobbing.  We've tried cajoling, buying her noisy toys, reasurance, etc.  Nothing has worked so far.

DH says he thinks she did have a horrible experience before she was even born.  About 4 weeks before her birth, DH asked me to help him hold some plywood whilst he cut it with a circular saw.  It was a sudden loud noise, and "in utero" she really seriously "jumped" - in fact it turned her from breach which at the time I was pleased about, but DH's theory is that it gave her one hell of a shock and as a result she reacts to noises now.  I'm not sure if this is possible or even if it is, what we can do about it?

I'm taking her for her first proper haircut on Friday, and I'm already really concerned about hairdryers.  I've spoken to the salon who say they will try to help, but we can't go on like this forever!

Just wondered if someone had ever experienced anything similar?

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Hi Blueskies

It's difficult for you.  Some children are just very sensitive, whether to noise, taste, touch or anything else.  A mum on another thread, Chucky Egg 4, has recommended a book called The highly sensitive child by Elaine Aron.  I can't vouch for it myself but she says she found it helpful.

If your DD is highly sensitive, I doubt it has anything to do with your wood sawing incident, but if she is programmed to react sensitively to noise, that might explain why she started as she did.

If her fear is restricting her day to day life, perhaps see if your HV can refer you to someone (not sure who at this age, but they may know)

All the best
EG x

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
BS - Sam is the same! Anything from the hoover to a motorbike driving by the house. I have to say I do nothing to stop him being exposed to these noises and neither does Nursery (he freaks there when the cleaners come in the evening with the hoover) What we do is to support him through it, so sit with him and gently talk and reassure him. Last week they told me he initially jumped when the hoover went on and was a bit wary but otherwise OK - a huge step forward. I put this down to his hearing being rubbish at birth due to glue ear and now with grommets everything is very loud. But his brother was the same and is fine with noise. I just think Sam is a little less confident and just needs more reassurance xx

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes. Car alarms. Small man actually describes things that frighten him as 'car alarm' - bleaced skeletal dead trees for example are 'car alarm trees'.

I was the same and loud noises still make me jump.

You're not alone and I think it's pretty normal. Your husband's theory about the saw sounds quite credible

Cheers

BC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts