Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that gets me most stressed at the moment is feeding Hannah and most other mums of toddlers that I speak to have the same problem.

I thought it may be useful to have a thread where we can share experiences of the best ways to get them to eat. Somehow the baby that will eat quite well turns into a fussy toddler trying to exert their independance!!

We seem to have problems with breakfast at the moment - she used to eat Weetabix mashed up with banana but doesn't like this much any more (probably fed up with having had it for the last 9 months!!) but won't eat other cereal with milk on so are resorting to giving her Cheerios on their own and a beaker of milk. She has toast as well. Just wondered if anyone else had any ideas for breakfasts?

Other than that she is not that fussy an eater but is getting to want to be in control of what she's eating and has just about got the hang of using a spoon. Anything we're eating is far better than what she's eating so she usually has to have a second tea with us and have some of the vegetables of the plate!!

Look forward to hearing other comments,

Celia

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Celia

Yep, I understand this one :) Jack was a fantastic eater as a baby - good variety, textures, etc. but since about 18 months he's been really fussy. It all happened gradually and now at almost 4 he's very selective about what eats, won't try new foods if he doesn't like the look of them, and then if coaxed will just touch his tongue to them and say yuk! without even actually tasting ::) I worried like mad about it until he was about two and a half, and then just decided that so long as he was getting all the food groups it didn't matter if he ate the same thing day after day, and he does - no exaggeration. I am lucky that he'll eat a good variety of fruit, in fact I haven't yet found a fruit he doesn't like, but veg is limited strictly to carrotts, peas and cucumber.

As for breakfast, the only thing he will eat with milk on is weetabix, otherwise he's been having dry cereal with milk in a cup for a couple of years now. All goes down the same way in the end ;) He won't touch meat or fish and has only just started eating scrambled egg. He ate all these things whilst weaning, so I know he likes them, but won't go near them now. I expect as he gets older he'll start wanting to try things agin, but for now, I'm just letting him get on with it. He gets all the food groups, plenty of fruit and veg each day and is healthy and strong - despite his limited variety and that he eats no meat (other than sausages - if you can call them meat!) and no fish.

Jack loves dry apricot bites too for breakfast, and they're full of iron, so that combined with milk and eggs in his diet (and other cereals) seem to provide him with plenty of iron.

I know it's frustrating when they start getting fussy, but from what I've discovered, it seems a lot of good eaters as babies do go that way, and turn out perfectly healthy and end up eating a better variety of food then once they are older. They say to give them a good variety of flavours, textures etc. whilst weaning to help prevent a fussy eater, but I did all that for Jack - as I am for Ben - and it didn't make any difference :-\

Good luck :)

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Kirstie loves porridge one morning then chucks it on the floor the next ::) So I can certainly sympathise. I sometimes give her toast and if in a hurry I might give her a fruit pot or some banana with a fromage frais.

I try not to make a fuss and have been advised to just take away the food if she rejects it without offering an alternative but I still find myself offering several different options but in the end I know that she wont let herself starve! It is a bit frustrating when they refuse it without even tasting it! However, I find that she tends to have at least one meal a day where she really fills up and she has fruit as snacks etc so I am trying to relax.

Our main problem is drinks - she is not interested in drinking from a cup other than the odd sip and still has bottles for her milk. I keep trying but am wondering if it will get to the "cup or nothing" stage for milk during the day soon.

Mum reckons I went a long time only eating baked beans or jelly but I eventually got bored and now I'll eat anything!!

Anyway, best of luck. Happy breakfasting ;)

Allie

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Allie - Have you tried just leaving a few of those non spill cups laying about with water in (or juice if you like to give this to Kirstie - basically something non perishable). I did this with Jack and his curiosity got the better of him and he started to explore them on his own and then of course they went in the mouth and then he just started drinking out of them. Once he was only on milk morning and evening at about 14 months, he still had this in a bottle until he was about 2 as he wouldn't touch it in a cup. He would use a cup happily all day with water in, but milk was for bottles only. So I just let him carry on. I knew his teeth would be fine as the milk was drunk in one sitting before his teeth were brushed in the morning and one sitting before his teeth were brushed before bed. By the time he was about 26 months he was taking warm milk happily from a cup and then we started making a big thing of how wonderful cold milk was and he started having that from a cup too.

But definitely leaving the cups of water laying around for exploring was what got Jack drinking out of them on his own.

Jayne x

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Nice to have reassurance that I'm not the only one struggling!!

Allie - I did as Jayne and had beakers around with water in and Hannah has now totally stopped drinking from bottles - even her evening milk which was the last to go!!

Better go as she wants to sit on my knee and help!!

Celia

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Thanks for the advice girls.

I will try leaving the non-spill cups around more often and hope that she takes an interest. I might also start giving her her afternoon milk in the avent bottle with the toddler spout and see if the desire for milk will get the better of her cup aversion!!

She has a cold at the moment and is off her food completely. Poor little thing.

Allie

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Awww, bless. Hope she's better soon.

Jayne x

·
Registered
303 Posts
My twins are 2.5 and currently eat what is put in front of them. I guess given 6 months, I’ll be struggling to get food into them.
Currently they really love anything, hubby or I eat:), so it is a good way to get them to try something new, even if they do spit it out.
They usually wake up hungry and want breakfast *NOW*, so it is usually cereal, preferably sugar free or low sugar, normally with banana. If I have made porridge with apples and cloves the night before, they’ll get that. Sometimes, the twins get eggy bread, covered with fruit, and sprinkled with icing sugar, but usually they are too hungry to wait for it to cook and cool. We have a sandwich toaster, so it is real easy to do. They absolutely love a fruit smoothie and yogurt. Danone do a wonderful vanilla yogurt, but I buy Vanilla low fat fromage frais from my local Delhaize, which I think tastes better. And I absolutely hate yogurt, so it must be good. And we fill them up with marmite toast.
My two will eat eggs, or spaghetti or beans, provided there is no toast. They would rather eat the toast. But they tend to get those for lunch.
I am a big fan of Annabel Carmel’s recipes. We eat an awful lot of them, particularly from her “Family Meal Planner” book. Annabel Carmel suggests homemade muffins for breakfast, but my two won’t eat cake, so I don’t think they will eat muffins. There is also a wonderful Banana bread recipe.
Lunch tends to be a mushed up veg and meat sauce served over pasta. Tea might be a repeat or veg and mashed potato, with say sausages.
Puddings are nearly always fruit smoothie and fromage frais. We made a cake yesterday afternoon and I gave them some for pudding, just to see if they would eat it. They refused to eat, so it was back to fruit puree and yoghurt.
OK there are some things the twins won’t eat, cake, sweets and one of them doesn’t like chocolate. Well I can live with that. It is a bit tough when we go to anywhere, as I live in a country, where shops, doctors, anyone and everyone, gives children sweets and I have to say no. They just spit sweets out. Embarrassing. Also the twins mostly don’t eat salad, but will try it, when it is on my plate. It gets spat out, but at least they have tasted it. One twin loves tomatoes though. He eats them in preference to everything else. When he was 18 months old, we went to grandma’s. She foolishly left some tomatoes on a low table to ripen, she came back to find a fair number of the red toms had gone, a small boy covered in tomato stains, with a big grin on his face.
Once the twins got to two, I said that they had to eat what is put in front of them for breakfast and lunch, or go hungry. Evening meal, they get offered, pasta and sauce, fruit puree and yogurt, then marmite sandwiches and, if they won’t eat, finally biscuits. I have to get something in them, before bed, or they wake up hungry and cry. I need my sleep, so they are given alternatives, for evening meal.
I put most things in the food processor, because one twin won’t eat lumps. If I don’t food process it, he won’t eat it and then he wakes up in the night from hunger and screams for hours. He has a cry to wake the dead, 5 miles away, and a will of iron, so he can easily outlast us. He was a 5lb 13oz, full term twin, but for the first 13 months, he would physically throw up, if given food with even the tiniest lumps in. He’d choke and then he was sick and he did this for a minimum of 20 times a month. What did the Paediatrician say? He’ll grow out of it. He’s thriving, so health professional were not concerned.
Just my experiences
Lorna

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Lorna,

Thanks for sharing your feeding experiences. Kirstie is still a bit funny with lumps but recently has started trying more textures. They all get there in the end though - not many 10 year olds still want their food pureed ;)

I use Annabel Carmel's book too. Don and I are also eating some of her food as it is yummy! Kirstie loves the cheesy pasta and pasta with the hidden veg sauce. I also bought a book by GMTV's Lorraine Kelly the other day, it was only a fiver, but seems to have a few good ideas in it.

We are going to try to move to her eating what we do as much as possible. Good thing about this is that hubby and I will benefit by getting healthier too - cant give her chinese take-away and McD's ;D.

Allie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts