Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me?  does anyone else feel mildly sick when they breastfeed?

;D ;D

seriously though, I'm wondering, because I really do. 

Claire x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
How odd - so do I! It also makes me need a number two ;D ;D  I can only assume its the contraction of the uterus that affects things.  Most bizarre ;D

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ewwww are our uteruses still contracting?!! :eek:

Sorry that you feel sick too but I'm glad I'm not the only one Clare! I felt it with M but I'm sure it's worse this time.

Cx

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
In the days when I was expressing I felt very sick...

i thought it was just the pain...  ::)

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's so strange, I always need a number 2 when feeding too?!!!  ;D

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Phew!  I was beginning to think I just had a dodgy tum ;D

I've had a bit of a look around the net, and it seems the nausea is associated with the oxytocin that you produce when breast-feeding. 

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oooh well done detective Clare!  ;D  that's very interesting, and makes me feel much less of a freak!!  ;D

Claire x

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi everyone,

Good detective work!  Interesting to see such common experiences..

Just wanted to chime in as have never revealed this before and wondered what it meant.  I never feel sick, but just as the babies latch and for the first minute of bfing, I feel overwhelmingly depressed and sad!!  This goes away very quickly, but I have always had it while breastfeeding and wondered why? 

Anyone else had anything like this?

Best to all,

Daisy
xx

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Thanks detective Clare!  That was really interesting and also reassuring as well.

Best to all,

Daisy
xxx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh wow - I hadn't realised it but I feel quite sad too - well just low, and like you daisy it only lasts a minute or so.  how utterly wierd.

Claire x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
ClareMack said:
It also makes me need a number two ;D ;D
really??? no sh*t?? wow!

sorry, i should be slapped for that.

·
Registered
479 Posts
No this is exactly how I felt! 

I've been BF my son for 19 months  ^scared^ and for the first few months I felt sick and grotty and lightheaded all the time - it was like having morning sickness again.  It started to get better around 6 months when he started eating some solids and was taking less breastmilk.

I think its something to do with the fact that your blood sugar can drop when you BF - because so much of your calories, sugars and nutrients are going into your breastmilk.  I also lost LOADS of weight - seriously I dropped from a pre-pregnancy size 12-14 to a 6-8 (way too much for me, I looked really unwell at that weight) because literally everything I was eating was going into my breastmilk and leaving nothing for me.

The best advice is to eat as well as you can, don't be afraid to snack between meals or eat high-calorie foods, your body needs the extra fuel as it really is feeding two people whilst you are BF!  Its a bit like an extension of pregnancy in this way.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ClareMack said:
Yep, Daisy, that's another known 'side-effect' of breast-feeding! http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nausea-bf.html
Fascinating, isn't it?

xx Clare

[red]This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites[/red]
This article says that nausea associated with let-down should go after 6-8 weeks - I still get it at 14!!
I really don't like it, every time I sit down to BF I know I'm going to feel a bit sick :(

Claire x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Yep, I'm still getting it too :(  In fact I was wondering today if I was imagining it, and it had just become a bit of a habit ;D

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quite real here  :p

;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts