Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I didn't know if to post at first as it being a negative note but I want to tell you so you can try and stop it happening to you.

First of all I want to say I stopped in June last year and it was very hard but I was fine.. It was the best thing that I ever did. I felt healthier, smelt better :) and felt so much fitter... and then my best friend told me she was pregnant and I am so ashamed because I brought 10cigs and here I am smoking everyday again. :(

I feel so weak and ashamed of myself. I had been so well and I am usually quite a strong person but I found it a unbearable pain. She didn't want to be pregnant and I do. I am not one to feel sorry for myself but this made me. I know I am lucky to be alive. I will stop again but girlie's don't even buy 1 packet of cigs and STAY STRONG!

Good luck to you all
Love Kelly x

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
oh kelly

put the ciggies down and step away hun!!! we all have a "blip"

dont feel ashamed hun-we have all done it!

take care and big hugs

love

Mez
xxx

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Kelly, Hugs to you hun - I have done the same too although I wasn't going to admit it on here  :-[  I smoking in the evening only but that is too much.  I blame it on stress but am gutted, like you I was doing so well.  :(

I start tx very soon and am absolutely not going to smoke then - would you help me kick the evil weed in time for my tx - perhaps we could do it together ?

I start Progynova in about 2 weeks by which time I HAVE to have stopped !

Cheer up - you did it before and you will again !

Jennifer xx

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Kelly

I packed in the cigs last time to go through IVF...which ended in a +ve but sadly then a m/c at 11 weeks .....so what do i do???....i go straight to the shop and buy 10 cigs even before i had a d&c!!......it was as though i was punishing my body .....saying well you are hopeless anyway who cares bout the illness i cud get off smokin....cause nothin could have hurt as much as i was hurting then.......at first i smoked in private but by xmas this year i was back smoking in public and not careing!!
I am nearly on 3 weeks of stopping now.......but only cause i have a reason to stop again....as soon as any trauma or upset comes so do the cigs!!
Try not to beat yourself up hun and remember neva give up giving up  :)
It is hard when other people fall pg....especially if they dont really want to be....you have jus got to believe it will be you one day sweetie.

Jan xx

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thank you so much for your replies.. They have helped me a great deal!

I wish I had never started in the 1st place but I suppose that goes without saying! You are right though it is the 1st thing you turn to when times are hard and ttc is BLOODY HARD! But I will be strong.. and stop again.

Jennifer I think that would be a great idea if we were to stop together.. Have you a date in mind?

Jan I am sorry that you had a m/c hun  ^hugme^. I am sending you lots of  ^fairydust^ and maybe you could set a date with me and Jennifer?

Mez Well done you!

Love Kelly x

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Don't beat yourself up, quitting smoking is sooooooooooooooo hard, I have failed so many times before so I know what its like, you do feel awful but but the evil weed in the bin with vinegar all over them, wash your ashtrays and put them away, through your lighters away or leave 1 lighter in the house for candles (if you burn them) and grab the chewing gum, or Nicorette aids and start again - I'm with you hun and most imortantly - YOU ARE NOT WEAK YOU ARE HUMAN AND NONE OF US ARE PERFECT XXXXXXX

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Kelly
Just read your post and felt as if i was reading my own story.  Except i have started dr and am still puffing.  The shame is killing me.  I gave up for just 3 days and gave in again. My friend became pregnant and had an abortion and even though i had to respect her decision i sometimes think it is all so unfair.  There is a lot going on with me at the moment with some family stuff  (sick grandmother etc..etc..etc..) and i think ill quit and then buy another 10.  I cant get my head around it.  I know i will do it again but it needs to be now..even yesterday.  So dont beat yourself up pet you did great and you will again.  Take it ez.  nu2

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Hi All - I smoked on Saturday but I haven't had one since - Not sure how long it will last but I want to give this tx cycle the best chance I can - I am downregging now so it a good time to stop.  I have no better incentive !
I will be looking to this board for support so please don't go anywhere !

Kelly - Let me know when you have set a date and I will make sure I am around for you too

Jennifer xx

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

I have set a date... How's the 1st of March anyone want to join me?

Jennifer WELL DONE YOU WISHING YOU LOTS OF LUCK FOR THIS MONTH HUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it  ^clapping^ ^clapping^ ^clapping^ ^clapping^

nu2/Nikkie Thank you for your post made me relize that I aren't alone... good luck!

Love Kelly x

·
Registered
81 Posts
it is very hard to give up  I smoked 4 14yrs and i decided on the 22nd November i would give up its been 3 months and i do have days when i feel like one but as my DH says think of what we r trying 4 and that gives me motivation so don't give up giving up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi everyone

I can relate to all of your stories. I too gave up for 5 months during our 1st ivf in October(stopped in April) but as soon as it was a negative i reached for the cigs - boy did I feel like rubbish. have given up on and off since but smoked up a storm over christmas and new year. :mad: I smoke about 8 a day but am having a FET on around the 11th of March so I really need to pull my finger out and stop. I too am beating myself up about it big time but I just need to set a date and say to myself NO MORE. It's hard though isn't it!! Especially when you have friends who smoke a lot more than me and manage to conceive no problem - and continue to smoke throughout their pregnancy. I'm not judging anyone I just wish we didn't have to give up all the things we enjoy and use as a release to deal with infertility i.e; smoking, chocolate blah blah blah. :'( It doesn't help that my DH smokes too. Right, enough kidding myself. I'm setting a date for tomorrow. I'm stopping tomorrow - anyone else want to join me? Please please I need support & encouragement.

::)

Megan

·
Registered
594 Posts
HI guys

Hi all
loopy- thats it im in.  I will give up with you have made my mind up now thanks. As you said i just need to pull my finger out.  Looking at all your stories i realise it is possible v v v hard.... but possible.  So fingers crossed for tomorrow guys.
Kelly- good luck for the 1st pet.  I need to be off them yesterday so will give it a go tomorrow as im back in clinic for scan next tuesday.
alicat- well done.  great will power
Jennifer- one since saturday is fabulous.  give yourself a pat on the back girl.
^hello^ to everyone else.  Have a good day guys.  nu2

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Girls,

Just want to say good luck for tomorrow.. Megan and Nu2.. YOU CAN DO IT.. we all can!  ^wave^ bye bye ciggies.

I am only stopping on the 1st because I am off work that week and I will find it easier I think at home. Also I have a hen night to go to on the 26th Feb and I know I will struggle so decided to make things a bit easier for myself. Plus the woman who's hen night it is, is pg and smokes so that would just make things harder that night.

Jennifer.. How are you doing...  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Anyway better go and get ready for work.. good luck to everyone else!
Love K x

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yippee

We're on our way, hopefully I'll still have this positive head on tomorrow although I'm sure I will.  As you said Nu2, I should have given up yesterday!!

KellyS, we have to set ourselves realistic goals so I think the best thing is you wait till the 1st.  Hen nights are a nightmare when then are people around smoking.  A good plan would be to smoke heaps and maybe sicken yourself off the ciggies....don't know if that's a good plan or not but I did it once and couldn't even look at cigarettes for ages.  Especially if you have a mega hangover too  :eek: .  Good luck sweetheart.

For everyone else that's managed to stop, keep going and send us new anti smokers heaps of positive vibes  ^reiki^  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

Night night all

megan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi everyone..... finally plucked up the courage to type my own message - I know exactly what you are all going through so thought I'd throw my my bit in for what it's worth!!!
I too have recently stopped smoking (2nd attempt).  I am now on my 4th week and am really pleased with myself SO FAR......  My husband quit 2 weeks ago and is also doing well!! 

To be honest, the only reason I quit smoking was because I had a stinker of a cold/chest infection and the thought of having a cigarette sent me into a coughing spasm!!!  I'd gone 3 days without one and didn't seem to miss them so I thought I'd carry on.  Don't get me wrong - I feel very vulnerable ... I have moments when I think I would love a ***!!!  My weakest moments are the times I associate with having a cigarette e.g after dinner.  I just make sure I do something to take my mind off it.

These are some things I found helped ( though may be not for some of you... I'd hate to think it encouraged you and you found yourself cursing my name!!!  My ears will be burning....

1.  Keep an ash tray full of *** ends.  The look and smell is enough to reinforce you're doing the right thing !!  It now makes me gag!!!

2.  Smell some of your clothes in your wardrobe .... they honk!!!!

3. Stay away from Smokey environments - reduce temptation.

4. Some of you may laugh but try the NHS stop smoking support groups.  (  I hated going and having to listen to everyone discuss how their week had been for them when I was fighting my own demons  ^evil^ that was torture in itself!!!)  What I found REALLY HELPFUL at the meeting was the breath test you do every week.  Seeing your carbon monoxide levels decrease over the weeks made me feel so proud of myself  ;D POSITIVE. But it also could work against you... if you'd had crafty 1 or 2 the monitor does pick it up.  NAMED AND SHAMED in front of everyone!!!!  The monitor doesn't LIE !!!  :-[

The most important thing though (I'm sure you'll all agree)  is we're all trying to start a family  ^babycrawl^  Stopping smoking can only be a good thing!!

Sorry I've rambled so much... probably done me more good than you (affirmation) !!!!    Good luck to you all ... YOU CAN DO IT  :)

All the best... love Pasha  ^wave^

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pasha,

Thank you for sharing your tips. I aren't so sure about the support groups though...  its sounds like AA did you have to say your name etc..  ^spin^ ^roflmao^ But I must admit the breathing test is a really good idea and would be a great incentive to carry on. I might have a look in to it..  ^scared^ WELL DONE YOU FOR KEEPING IT UP... 4WKS IS GREAT WITHOUT THE CIGGIES!!!! (and dh too)  ^afro^

Take care,
Love Kelly x

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Kelly....

The amount we're drinking at the moment AA is next!!!  Not long after that it'll be weight watchers the amount of sweets we're eating ^scales^

Yes... the support group was hilarious ^roflmao^I actually used to enjoy going because I used to find it so amusing!!!  I know I shouldn't say that but some of the stories you have to listen to and try and keep a straight face ::) - it isn't easy!!!  I called it the "happy clappy club" because it was all a bit AMERICAN and giving each other round of applause every time you achieved success or over came a difficulty.  I'm not be littelling the group... it's great - it just wasn't quite my cup of tea!! ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^

Oh.... another incentive to go to happy clappy club is that you get a fantastic "I'm smoke free" mug and a certificate to congratulate you completing the course!!!  We're the privileged owners to have 2 at the moment - from last year.  My husband has returned by himself this time - though I think he's only going to get another mug!!!!

^clapping^ .... love Pasha

·
Registered
164 Posts
Morning everyone

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm on day 2 of not smoking and not finding it ok so far. Just waiting for the weight to start piling on...... :mad: It happens every time for me now matter how much I exercise & eat less. Must be fluid retention and metabolism slow down.

Stay positive everyone, we can do it.

Megan :)

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Keep going guys and if any of you have had a sneaky puff or gone out and bought a packet through them in the bin now - just start again.  Every single excuse will keep you smoking and all the excuses are rubbish, you will come up with the most stupidest reasons to continue to smoke and they are all stupid.  THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO SMOKE.

Do you know what I have noticed with not smoking is that I am breathing normally - how awful is that to say, to breath is our god given right and a natural process so think about it.  Also I am hardly ever coughing, for 15 years I have coughed every day numerous times and have got used to that, now I do not cough daily, think since I stopped I could count the amount of times I have coughed on one hand!

People say they are stressed, right if you only knew what I have been through these past 2 months you would honestly think I should now be an alcoholic by now, the last 2 months have been the worst in my life EVER and I still haven't gone back to the weed because stress is just an excuse to smoke, no matter what has happened, it is all it is.  Every time you put out a cig you start craving another - that in itself is stress, so really by smoking during a stressful situation you are giving yourself more stress.  ITS TRUE. 

Its bloody hard to stop, I soooooooooooo know it but guys keep trying.   I am not typing this saying to you I am never going to cave again because I may do but I take it day by day and today I am not smoking.

I also hate to say that once a smoker always a smoker as every single person I have spoken to who is an ex smoker has said there are always times they'd love just one (and thats after 15 years with some people), but you cannot do it.

KEEP GOING KEEP GOING KEEP GOING.
BE STRONG BE STRONG BE STRONG.
BREATHE BREATHE BREATHE!

I  am so proud of myself and so proud of all you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
HI guys

Its me ...... the weak one again.  Im ashamed to say i have given in to temptation again. Loopy soooooo sorry hun.
Nikki-i totally agree with everything you said.  Especially about excuses albeit i have some good ones this time ........ still excuses none the same.
1-The little 10 year old boy next door to me tried to hang himself last week and i had to get him down from the banister which shook me up something unreal.  I was in shock for days.
2-My gran had a mini-stroke last night and found out this morning she has a brain tumour which is inoperable so its only a matter of time with her.  We are very close.
Sorry guys for such a morbid posting but i get to feel sometimes like the ciggies are my only vice in life at the mo and i say WHAT THE HECK !  I know its stupid but i keep waiting on the right frame of mind to give them up which im sure is not going to happen and have to face up to it some time. 
I am so proud of you guys.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK and i promise i'll join you soon.
Sorry again for the morbid posting and excuses.  Take it ez.  Nu2 ^reiki^

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.