Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

me post sorry......

My wee boy is 81/2 months and teething at the moment - poor soul.

The problem is that hes constantly cryng and i can seem to be able to soothe him at all - tried calpol, teething powders and baby bongela; but he just wont stop crying and i feel such a failure.  Yesterday we were out in the pram and he started and i turned around and headed home but all the way back he was absolutely hysterical and i was frantic by the time i got home, got him out the pram and he was sobbing by this time and wet with perspiration with the crying  :'( in the end (and im crying as i type this)  i shouted at him to "be quiet" now i feel so quilty and feel he hates me.

Sorry for this post but i just need to tell someone i shouted at me poor wee baby and now feel so bad - willhe remember it? :-\ :'(

Sanjo xxx

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Oh hun  ^hugme^ we all go through tough times with our lo's - I know I shouted at A a lot when I just didn't know what to do with him (I shouted at my DH more  ;D), they don't remember at that age hun and he certainly doesn't hate you.  Its a very tough time when there so little and can't communicate with you, well other than screaming...  ::)  Its perfectly normal for you to get het up, all you want to do is make him feel better that makes you a GREAT MUMMY in my eyes....

Sending you lots of these  ^hugme^

Bev xx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev

I think that the problem is that we try so hard to have our babies that we feel bad for having a bad day.

I just want him to be happy and sometimes i feel hes not but thats normal i suppose.

Thanks again for the reply

Sanjo xxx

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Sanjo you've hit the nail on the head hun, we think we should be more grateful than most because of what we've been through, I had similar struggles through pregnancy, had the pregnancy/ birth from hell and felt guilty the whole time because 'it was what I wanted' just because we want something so much doesn't make the normal 'hardships' any easier to cope with.

I hope your LO is feeling better soon, teething is hell...

Love and hugs to you both

Bev xx

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi Sanjo

I'm not a mummy yet so don't know what its like but you don't sound like a bad mummy at all

I watched a programme last night that was all about teething and the little girl on it would gnaw at a glass coffee table and chew toilet roll for comfort (she was one).  They suggested a small dose of ibuprofen (i presume baby's can have it but you will have to check) and cutting a carrot lengthways and putting it in the freezer and then when the baby was bad with teething a piece of the carrot was given to her to try and soothe it.  They stressed baby shouldn't be left alone with the carrot in case they manage to bite some off and choke - Seemed to work (or maybe it was good editing!!) - something to do with the cold on the gums - might be worth a try

lost of love to you and yours

xx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bev & Leechcb1

Just back from the pharmacy where i got Ibruphrophen and paracetamol and more bongela - advised by the pharmacist. So i will give that a try - Ben cried all the way there and back!  The pharmacist was on his lunch so i couldnt get any of the medicines until he wasback  ^bigbad^ so i had to wonder around with my crying baby for 30 mins - never mind.  So will give them a try apparently i can give them both to Ben so hopefully...............

Leech - I will try the carrot aswell thank you.

I really do appreaciate the time taken to reply to me and for making for feel more "normal"

Thanks

Sanjo xx ^hugme^

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Ibuprofen worked wonders with my little one, calpol or medised wouldn't touch him.... hope the same can be said for you.

Bev xx

·
Registered
643 Posts
aah bless him - toothache is horrible at our age never mind when you are little one  - hopefully the medicine will ease his pain

Take it easy

xxx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are both fab

Hoping both your journeys go well - just noticed both your signatures. ^reiki^ 

Bev - Good luck for tomorrow

sanjo x

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Hi Sandra,

We use Anbesol for Hannah's teething, we tried bonjela but she would lick it off my finger before i got the chance to put it on her gums  ;D, Hoping Ben will feel better with the Ibuprofen and paracetamol, i cant beleive he's 8.5 months already.

xDebsx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hiya debs

Thanks for the advice too, i had a look for Anbesol couldnt see it in the chemist  ::)  hes sleeping at the moment so no medicine in him yet.

How are you doing - not spoken for a while  ^hugme^

Sandra xxx

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi - we use liquid anbesol for Thomas too - easier to get on cos it doesn't slide down your finger.  And Boots alternatives teething powders seem to calm him down too - in little paper packets that you just rip open and tip into their mouths - they taste quite nice so we've never had a problem getting him to have them.

Just read your post - ask for it at the counter in Boots.

Wolla
x

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi

We have a very grizly baby too at mo it is awful for them.  I use liquid Ambesol too as I had it from when I had Hollie - think you have to ask for it behind the counter.  Hope he gets over it soon ^eyes^

Louise xx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Louise & Wolla

Just sent my DH out for Anebsol

Sandra xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Firstly, you are not the first to shout at your LO and won't be the last. Heck, I'm willing to bet you'll do it a few more times before he's left home so please don't feel bad about it, we are all human after all.

Secondly, and just as a precaution, the doses of ibruprofen and paracetamol are different - what I did on the few occasions I've given both is worked out and written down at what time each could be given then crossed it out when I had. Made it much easier than trying to remember, also dh could see what I'd given and there was no chance of him repeating a dose accidentally.

Teething can be horrible, I know M has suffered seemingly continuously for months now so I do feel for you.

Chux xx

·
Registered
479 Posts
ditto for me - double dosing is fine as long as you keep an eye on the amounts...Nurafen is MUCH better for pain caused by swelling (which is teething) than Paracetamol on its own - so you may not need to use both. But if your little one is asthmatic then you shouldnt give Nurafen.

And shouting at your baby? We all do it, have done it or will do it - so no "rubbish mummy" comments thankyou!!

Abby

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
~ Chux ~ said:
Firstly, you are not the first to shout at your LO and won't be the last. Heck, I'm willing to bet you'll do it a few more times before he's left home so please don't feel bad about it, we are all human after all.

Chux xx

Thanks Chux & Abby - needed to know that i wasnt alone. ^hugme^

Also Chux and abby - Thank for the Nurafen and paracetamol advice - ive only used the nurafen and Ben seemed much more settled so i didnt bother with he paracetamol.

Lots of Love

Sandra xx

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sandra - Poor you and Ben.  I hope his teething pains are easing off now with his medication.  Your a fantasic mummy. 

Ann-Marie

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Annemarie

Thanks hunny

Sandra xxx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well Im not too bad

Collected Ben from my dads today (he goes on a Friday)and Ben was all excited to see me and said "mama" so im maybe not too bad at all

Thanks ladies

Im a good mummy and my boy loves me......just a bad day me thinks

Love Sandra xxxxx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts