Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Am really just shamelessly looking for some sympathy :-[.

Started D/R 27th April for 3rd cycle of OI with timed intercourse, :)

Unfortunately I hadn't been feeling great for a couple of weeks prior to that and went to GP BP very high :(

I got a 2wk line but GP wanted to see me after a week so duly returned yesterday BP still ridiculous but I did say to doc that I don't think I have high BP I think its just a symptom of all the stress I'm under(work issues plus TTC) I admitted to my concerns about the anxiety i was experiencing and now felt I was experiencing panic attacks (feel short of breath, palpitations, dizziness). ^idiot^

I was persuaded to accept antidepressants reluctantly  ^eyes^ and was told my 3rd cycle was going to be delayed for approx 3 months :'(.

My DH who is usually supportive just says thats good! ^bigbad^ my Mum who is my rock says maybe she will get her daughter back (she said she didn't recognise me anymore) :'(

I know the reasoning behind this but am gutted!!!  :'(  I was due to start stimming any day now just waiting on AF ^witch^ she is never far away from misery! ^witch^

I know this isn't a really bad problem and everyone out there goes through worse I'm sorry but i felt FF was the only place I could turn to! :'( :'(

Jayne

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Jayne,
Sorry to hear you're feeling so rubbish. I suffer from panic attacks, they started when I was waiting to start treatment. I found a tip for dealing with them that really works. As soon as you feel the panic attack coming on sit down and concentrate ONLY on your breathing. Breath in to your stomach for a count of 5 and out for a count of 7. It's quite difficult at first but persevere cause it really works. I haven't had a panic attack in nearly 2 months now. I still feel them coming on but I do the breathing thing and they go away after a couple of minutes. I've learnt alot about attacks through a site called humangivens. Look it up. It explains what's happening to your body when you get an attack and why they happen. Try and get someone to count out loud for you the first few times and then you will start to breathe like it naturally as soon as you start to feel panicky.
My heart goes out to you because they are so scary when they happen and you find yourself analysing every breath just in case it's starting.  I'm not an expert but if I can help in anyway just ask.
You're not alone in how you feel. Try and keep strong.
Sarah xx

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hello Jayne

Sorry to hear you are feeling low, i can relate.

I think you should pamper yourself properly! Get a massage and try to relax and calm down about it all. I've suffered with panic attacks since i was around 16 or so and i know how really awful they are. When they were at their worst, for me, the classic brown paper bag trick always worked for me. Even just having one around sometimes helped ward of an oncoming attack as i knew it wouldn't tkae hold to much if i used the bag.

Sarah is right, you are definately not alone in any of this and you ARE strong! For getting through what you have already. You can hang on in there until things are more bearable. You can do it!

Someone can tell me off if they want to but i'm going to say it anyway. I wouldn't personally accept any anti-depressants for anxiety and panic attacks. I think anxiety is a completely different issue to depression and i think anxiety alone and panic attacks can be quashed without the aid of prescription drugs. I think the anxiety is obviously easily explained in the situation of fertility treatment and talking about it and letting all your feelings and fears out is the best way to conquer it. I remember a GP prescribed me the same and they just dulled my senses and made it impossible to confront the problems face on. After i stopped them my panick attacks were worse! It even says on some of them a possible side effect can be panic attacks! wheres the logic in that!

So while its just my opinion i think you should treat yourself to long baths, massages, time out and relaxation. I hope you feel better soon and more positive. And good luck for the future

Best Wishes  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ xxxxx

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oh hun..... there you were giving me such great advice earlier and it didnt even occur to me to ask about you (Lisa is kicking herself very hard right now)

Sorry to hear your feeling so rubbish, i agree Evette, take some time out for yourself while your off work and pamper yourself. Maybe you should be taking your own advice lady...............get out and enjoy that sun!!!!!  ;D

Love
Lisa xxxxx :-*

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi folks thanks for your kind replies and good advice! ^hugme^.

I'm not gonna sit about and feel sorry for myself! I actually cant as I have got a very hyperactive 8 month old Pug to contend with ;D  Ive got a massage booked next week and Hopi ear candles don't know what they are but sounded interesting??.

Have been practicing slowing my breathing I remembered  my yoga breathing techniques and they actually help!( funny how I forgot I ^idiot^ actually knew how to to this but when breathing was mentioned I remembered).

Not happy about the ADs and I know they can make anxiety worse but my mood is really low and have been fighting this and getting nowhere since about this time last year so figured I would give drugs a go and see if I can get some quality of life back  :).

Lisa don't feel bad I was just pleased to be able to answer a post properly there are so many questions here that I really don't have a clue about so it was nice and felt good to actually know something! ;D. How are you feeling hope you are a bit more comfortable!

I'm away out to buy sun tan lotion as I burnt my shoulders yesterday :-[

Jayne

xxxxxxx

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi There,

don't feel bad about looking for sympathy. I think we all come here for some of that. I spent all of yesterday whining on at people. :)
I am responding, because I have the same question you do. I don't have panic attacks, but I am probably quite depressed I guess.
I have had bouts of depression in the past and they do come up now and again. This time brought on, understandably by the recent death of my beloved dad. What with one thing and another, I seem to spend a LOT of time crying lately. I can't sleep and that isn't helping me deal with the  surgery and treatment I am having.
My doctor tried to put me back on AD's yesterday but I didn't want to take them. They recommended bereavement councilling which I may try out instead.
I guess I am just looking for back up that I did the right thing refusing the pills. I worry about depression having had some fairly awful times with it in the past. Including one (almost) suicide attempt a long time ago.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
calamity said:
I know this isn't a really bad problem and everyone out there goes through worse I'm sorry but i felt FF was the only place I could turn to! :'( :'(
Hi Jayne,

I can sympathise with you - I'm very stressed too, and I think my partner wants me to go and get anti-depressants, but I know they won't help as I've been on them before! It's the stress of TTC with all the pressures that go with it. If a receptionist at my IVF clinic talks to me in an off hand manner right now I end up crying after I've put the phone down as the whole "baby making process" is making me sooooooo stressed out! :(

I realise you posted this on the 7th May, hopefully you still stop by and check this thread :)

Take care,

Elle x

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Jayne,

I am so sorry you are feeling bad.  I suffer from extreme anxiety too and it is very hard to deal with.  Fertility treatment is bound to be very tough on the naturally anxious because there is so much to obsess about.

I tend to agree with Evette - anxiety and depression are not the same thing.  If you feel unhappy about using ADs they are not going to be helpful and there are plenty of alternative ways of dealing with yourself, which you may be more comfortable with. 

I do hope you start to feel better soon and find a way of coping with all this which works for you. ^hugme^

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
i suffered from panic attacks then i started having monthly reflexology and it made them almost cured really plsu was lovely in the process.  In addition reflexology is really good for fertility and is proven to help.  I did my cycle 9 months after starting the reflexology and it worked first time. 

The docs gave me tablets for the panic attacks but i didn't take them, i found they made me worse.

Also look on ebay you can buy some good relaxation CDs, i had a paul makenna one for giving up smoking (didn't make me give up  :mad: although my pregnancy later did :)) but i found listening to the CD regulated my breathing and made me feel better when i felt paniky.

I feel for you as i know how horrible and debilitating it is  ^hugme^

accupuncture might help too and that also boosts fertility so give them a try and you may kill two birds with one stone so to speak  ^pray^ ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
I had terrible panic attacks following a really bad dog attack on my dog, they were completely controlling my life.  I started Accupuncture about 6 weeks ago ready for my ICSI in August and happened to mention them, she used some particular needle points and I've not had one since!  Absolutely brilliant! :)

Axxxx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi ya folks

Redjodie sorry you are feeling so bad i can sympathise I am unhappy about the anti depressants but I have been refusing them for over a year now and trying to plod along and cope with life but it was just getting harder and harder and I was unable to refuse in the end. I didn't have the fight left in me anymore and I thought I could maybe pick my mood up with a little help and hopefully start sorting things out. I feel if you are refusing them it is probably still right for you to do this the bereavement counselling is a good idea anything is a good idea and if it works its a really great idea!!! :) Hope you are feeling better soon!.

Ilovesnow I know medication isn't the answer am just hoping that it may allow me to shake myself down and start again pity they couldn't make an anti infertility tablet we would all be happy then ;D !!

Littlejenny I am using the break in my treatment to resume all my classes and gonna start boxercise again I found that really good! I also have massages booked once a week for the next 3 weeks!

Eggsharer and Mandy B  I was thinking about alternative therapies its nice to hear proof they work the relaxation Cd's sound a good idea I think I will get one! ;D

Everyone on here is so kind its really nice to know that you really are not alone even if it really feels like it! :)

^Cuddle^

Jayne xxx

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Oh sweet heart, - You have my sympathy I promise  :)

So sorry you are feeling like this - I can totally relate as I found myself in a similar position last year. After two years TTC we were booked in for IVF and I had to cancel, I have sufffered from anxiety for three years - always battling on on my own without drugs but by now I had developed depression, like you I was giving up the fight and finding it really difficult to motivate myself to do all the things I need to to keep my anxiety in check  - I had an acute episod of anxiety and depression which was very frightening, this was brought on by a persistant bladder problem I had. Well I had to take medication for my bladder problem which meant stopping TTC and I also started on Prozac.

I had persistently refused drugs for three years previously and had managed quite well on my own however things had changed and I needed some help. Within a couple of weeks I felt a million times better - partly because of the prozac and partly because the pressure of TTC had been taken away. In  the subsequent six months I have had a break from treatment and TTC and I have "found myself" again for the first time in ages. I have remembered all the things I enjoy about life and have been having some fun - it has been such a huge relief and definately needed. Allow yourself some time to get well honey and take the pressure off. You can carry on when you feel better.

I am starting IVF in August and I am allowed to stay on the Prozac, which I am going to do so I can keep some perspective on things.

The first few weeks on ADs can be a bit strange you may notice some mild side effects (I just noticed I ground my teeth a little), but they will probably be short lived, make sure you keep visting your GP so they can monitor your progress and ensure you are on the correct dosage etc. I have found that Prozac has definately helped with my anxiety symptoms and not increased them at all.

Have you received any Cognitive behavioural therapy? If not ask your GP to refer you, in the meantime buy some self help books (based on CBT) around conquering panic attacks - I managed to get a hold on mine using these alone - which I found in Waterstones.

Do have a break honey and take care of yourself - treatment will be there for you to come back to when you are ready.

Best of luck to you and all the other ladies here - Greeneyed xxxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts