Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do fertility meds make endometriosis worse?  I've been put into temporary menopause Feb - May.  Next week I am to take provera to bring on AF and then we're doing  a mock cycle where I"m basically on FET meds (estrase, progesterone injections and baby aspirin), but then instead of ET, they do a biopsy and test the tissue for iimplantatino issues (this is a research study).  If all is ok, then we'll do ivf in the summer. 

My worry is that, even though the menopause meds may have shrunk the endo issues (i.e. since by removing the hormones, it removes the issue), that it'll just come back by going back on all the meds.  I know I'll have to be on them eventually for the ivf cycle, but this is adding another month being on them.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
hiy,a yes in my case they did, i took clomid and after only 3 mths endo got worse and had a cyst!! x

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
i have to agree, i took clomid and could only manage taking it for 3 months as it caused lots of cysts and the pain was horrid  :-[

everyones different though and i hope it doesnt cause you any problems  ^reiki^

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your response.  So sorry that it returned for both of you.  I'm scared of that as we're doing this mock cycle prior to doing the real cycle.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Clomid on it's own didn't cause me any initial problems but once I started IVF, because of the increased levels of oestrogen (as I always respond well to the drugs so lots of follicles & subsequently produce lots of oestrogen), my endo seemed to trigger.....although saying that, mine does appear to return in 2-3 year cycles so perhaps a bit of that too.

When I had my last lap/dye and hysteroscopy in Feb 2007 (previous hysteroscopy in April 2005, prior to that, lap/dye & hystero in May 2004), I had not only endo removed from ovaries and various other patches, but also uterine polyps removed and a fibroid from outer side of womb......all these are oestrogen fed.  During the time from the lap/dye/hystero in 2004 and the next full op in 2007, I'd had 6mths of clomid (to boost so more follies/more oestrogen), 1 fresh IVF and 2 natural FETs (2nd FET I also had additional oestrogen tabs during the treatment).

I don't think that the clomid and IVF drugs made things any worse (although I'd never had a fibroid before and certainly to get 3 different things associated with high oestrogen, perhaps I'm wrong ?!) but I certainly now think that the addition of IVF, on top of clomid, and responding so well to the IVF drugs, aggravated everything.

I am concerned because obviously each time I've had treatment, my oestrogen levels have risen to the point where I've been risk of OHSS on 2 occasions (last one to the point of high risk) and since that last op, I've had 3 more fresh IVFs and do worry that my endo (and polyps/fibroid possibly) may return quicker so need to keep a check on it.

Hopefully you should be ok as you've been in temp menopause for several months prior to starting the IVF....and if you're on long protocol then the downregging is also similar/same drugs to what you're taking at moment.....so it will only be the stimming phase, when you produce more follicles and your oestrogen levels rise, that you will be at risk of endo being aggravated....but this is for a short period of time.  Since I came off the pill 5 years ago to start ttc, I've not had any medication to help ease the endo growth, plus I've had lots of fertility drugs, so slightly different situation.

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Natasha, thanks for your response.  This month I'll be doing a mock cycle, which means I won't be stimming but wiill still be taking estrogen to build up my lining and getting progesterone injectisons (so no clomid as well).  Hopefully if the test comes back ok, then we'll do an ivf with usual stimming meds ontop of the estrogen and progesterone.  Last year we had 4 failed cycles (3 FETs and 1 IVF) and I do wonder if by being on all the hormones from those cycles, that it aggrevated the situation.  My dr is thinking that this is part of the reason why it's not working for us as the embryos cannot implant.
Wishing you lots of luck.  You sure have been through a lot, and I hope you and your dh get your dream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts