Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Should FF change its policy and allow for advertising of egg donors with full contact details?

• Yes

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 1 2.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please feel free to comment as well :)

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi

i do think this is something that potentionally should be allowed on ff! not sure about the full contact details? would it not be possible for members to leave an email address or contact each other through their ff email?
Personally i think this is potentionally a good idea

love
suzie aka olive xx

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
sorry, please don't slap me i voted no  :-[ i just feel it could and probably would cause friction on the site, i mean how would the donors feel if they knew the person who had accepted their eggs got a bfp and they got a bfn would they avoid the site coz it's too painfull ?? i don't want too offend anyone here i think if maybe advertising could be done annomously then it would be great

pam xx

P.s, hope this makes sense i have had a few drinks  ^drink^

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Pam makes perfect sense ^afro^

i hadnt thought of those things!!

enjoy the  ^drink^ 

love
suzie xx

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clarify - full contact details is probably overkill, I meant direct contact - email address/phone number.

Also it wouldnt be exlusive to egg sharers - as we do get people email us for information on becoming a donor. I guess they find us through search engines.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I voted yes.  I know that if I needed donor eggs I would want as many avenues as possible open to me to hopefully find a donor quickly.
I hope this does happen sometime in the near future.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I voted yes, but only for those women who want to be 'advertised'.....

The clinic I went to in Australia doesn't even allow egg sharing due to the ethics of "what if the recipient gets pg and the donor does not"..... I can donate eggs later on if I choose to, but would never know about a recipient or their success, which is the way I'd like it.

~Natt~

·
Registered
911 Posts
I voted yes aswell as i may be egg sharing find out june 13th if i can i do however think that there should be some sort of protection in place as i do agree it could be upsetting if say the egg sharer got bfp and other bfn or vice versa but as long as its set up properly i dont see the harm in it i would also if possible see how clincs would feel about this as i know some may not agree with it however i may be totally wrong in that comment

kerry

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your views on this everyone.

Do any of you have thoughts on how we can help with recruiting donors to help combat the UK shortage?

Some ideas that I have had in the past...

1) Those that need a donor could pool a small amount of money which goes towards producing a large amount of high quality posters with a link to a list of donor requests - the posters then get distributed through the FF network somehow. Perhaps members could help by putting them up in there local areas?

2) Build and facilitate an altruistic online 'dating style' website which allows couples to search for people looking for certain traits - eye colour/race etc... Complications of this are blood types - and those that search may find a physical match - yet cmv status gets in the way.

I did contact the NGDT about the last idea - however they ignored my emails.

There is a lack of donors and we need to help.

Your ideas are appreciated ;)

Tony,
x

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Just a few thoughts on this...

1)  I think many egg sharers would not wish to know the result of their recipient unless they were able to cope with a BFP or indeed a BFN from them.  In this instance this could cut them off from support they really need.

2)  I think an anonymous matching service would be an option where the basic details of the match required and hospital references are given.  as per your number 2 suggestion Tony.

I have not voted as I am not facing these issues and feel it unfair to.

Clare

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Clare.

Another issue with point 2 is that some clinics advise patients that they shouldnt tell anyone thier case reference number - I dont know why this is though :(

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yes TONY that is very true im with care in manchester and they have said if i get a start date at my appointment i cant post on there site any details they are very funny about this and that is why i said in my earlier post about contacting a few clinics about this subject i personally wouldnt mind doing  it as a hopeful egg sharer i feel if i can help someone then congrats if they get a bfp  that is why im doing it but some of us may not be that strong

kerry

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about those loooing for egg donors though - rather than specifically egg sharers?

Tony,

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mmmmmm....... i'm all for any help possible regarding donor eggs as i was looking at that route (& am still on my clinics waiting list) but don't think i'll ever dip my toe on the donor road  :(......

.....the lack of donors is such a huge problem now especially with the new legislation & my heart goes out to anyone who is awaiting a donor.....it's such a difficult & emotional road to be on so any help will be fantasic!

Would it be possible to keep 2 areas open.....one for ladies who just wish to donate (no tx themselves) as personnal contact would be easier for them i'm sure as the BFP/BFN  wouldn't be such a problem,i'm sure they'd be really dissappointed for the couple but the emotional issues would be on a different scale.....
& then one of choice for the donor/recipitent on egg share cycles......everyone would be catered for then & hopefully ladies awaiting a donor would be in a much better position to be matched.....could you restrict access between threads Tony? so's ladies couldn't read threads & put two & two together.....am i making any sense?.....keep recipitents in one area & donors in another so ladies can't compare tx's & guess who their donor match is.....difficult one i guess but this would be a huge step in the right direction if a solution could be found!!  :-\

I thinks it's great that FF is trying to help in this area....well done everyone....if i can help please IM me....i'll help if i can!!
luv
juel xxxxx

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Anything to be able to help should be welcomed, I agree that it could cause some problems, but those who wish to remain annonymous would just continue through the current channels, I am not directly affected by any of this but I know if I needed eggs I would embrace every opportunity to get my plea out in the public eye.
Dydie xx

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
Hello
I have just come across this thread and as we are awaiting a donor egg from my best friend,
should she not be suitable after blood tests to donate, will have to go abroad due to there being no donors here in the UK
I felt I had to give a response.
When I first found FF i did look to see if there was a list of potential donors here, obviously there wasnt, but as a person who stumbled upon the site, I was curious enough to look.
As a site specializing in fertility, covering all aspects, I think it would be a good idea to see a list of potential egg donors,
having said that I understand how difficult and complex this would be.
As emails are being recieved due to the site coming up on search engines, and as we have boards dedicated already to egg donation, the next logical step would be a place to post advertising egg donors,but what about sperm donor advertising how is that conducted? do the same issues arise?

^idea^  ^idea^ Could we not have an advertising banner, that links to a list of UK clinics for the potential donor to contact? ^idea^ ^idea^

this was a late night brainwave from
~Dizzi~

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I think Dizzi's idea is good, direct the donors on where to go.
I have to admit I'm not exactly clear what FF's policy is a the moment. I wonder how would it affect the site (and peoples' relationships therein) if two people feel one donor is equally suited to them both? Say the donor chose one over another because they were offered a payment or because they didn't like the fact taht one recipient was in a same sex  or mixed race relationship? My personal feeling is that unless the donor is a friend or relative of the patient I don't think they should be allowed to choose where their egg goes.

Or have I misunderstood the question here? ???  ^idiot^

Lizi.x

·
Registered
686 Posts
personlly i think that if there was a room for this to be done like egg doners, and as long as it would be modarated as normal, might be okay, but i can see the other side as well if there was 1 thats got a bfp and 1 got a bfn it would be too painful for me to do.

take care

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.