Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience of having fibroids treated by embolisation, or been offered this as an alternative to a myomectomy op? 

I have been referred for fibroid removal and I assume it will be the usual myomectomy, which seems to be what everyone who has posted on this borad has had, but my Mum keeps finding articles in the paper about people who have had fibroids treated by embolisation and have gone on to get pregnant.  I did read somewhere that embolisation is not recommended for perople wanting to get pregnant, (and this is borne out by the fact that people here do not seem to be having it) but other doctors say it isn't a problem, apart from early menapouase being a very rare complication.  The treatment involves blocking the blood supply to the fibroids, so they are killed off that way instead of being surgically removed, and is much less invasive than the myo, so if it's possible to do that, I would much rather do so.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has discussed this with their consultant and what you were told.  I see my consultant next week, after having an up to date scan, so it would be useful to be able to see him armed with some info. 

Many thanks

Ruth aka Essex Girl    ???

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Hi Ruth,

I looked up some info on UAE before my myo, but I kept reading how innacurate it could be and that it wasn't advisable for women who still wanted children. The other consideration that I had was the length of time it took after the procedure for the fibroid to shink, and was there a chance of it creating a new blood supply for itself before it died off completely? (I had a big fibroid so this was a major point for me).

I did discuss it briefly with my surgeon who advised me against it, I can't remember all the reasons he gave at the time, but I had already accepted that it wasn't really an option for me by then, so the information went in one ear and out the other IYKWIM.

I hope you find the answers you need and that you can decide on a plan soon. I think this is the worst bit... the bit pre-op when you are faced with a massive amount of info and you don't really know what to do for the best. Please feel free to join us on the fibroid group. We've all been thru' it and we can help you prepare.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have to say that I agree with Broody.  I also was aware of this treatment prior to my op but, although it is popular in the USA, it really hasn't been around that long.  If it hasn't really been practised much in the UK you might have to search for someone experienced enough in the procedure over here whereas there are many consultants who are very experienced in myomectomies.

There aren't really enough statistics for my liking that prove you are more likely to get pregnant after embolisation than after a myomectomy.  It's a bit like the laser eye treatment thing (which I am always umming and aaahing about) - who really knows about this new procedure until it has been around a few more years?  Whereas, the first myomectomy recorded was actually in the early 1800s!

I had not tried to get pregnant prior to my myo so I don't know if my fibroid was causing any fertility problems.  However, to try and reassure you, I am now 15 weeks pregnant so the myomectomy obviously did not lessen my chances...

Please join the main fibroid board - we are a mine of information!

Els

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi Ruth
I have to agree with Els and Broody.  I was offered the embolisation but had to be referred by my cons to St Marys in London.  It all seemed like such a big faff, esp when I had been on the fibroid board and realised that the myo wasn't such a bad thing, basically I wanted the thing out asap! I knew my cons had done hundreds and was v experienced, and felt like I was going into the unknown at St Marys? If that makes any sense? ???   
I have to say I am over 3 weeks post myo and I feel great, myo's really aren't that bad!!  Come and join us on the fibroid board, we've all seen fibroids from one angle or another!! I don't think there is anything that one of us hasn't been through!!
Let us know how you get on with your cons
xx

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

I guess I am unusual in that I had uterine artey embolisation immeadiately prior to my myomectomy (i.e 2 hours before!)  I had a 15 cm fibroid, posterior and was at increased risk of haemoorhage as I have to take anticoagulant drugs.  My gynae was only prepared to operate on me if I had UAE first as part of a planned procedure.  This was in 2002.  I eventually conceived naturally 18 months post surgery but only after  our first IVF cycle failed.  Our baby was diagnosed at 15 weeks with severe intra uterine growth restriction - thought to be due to the embolisation restricting the blood supply to my uterus.  Do not have embolisation - I bitterly regret it and our second baby died as a result. My case is unusual but not worth the risk. 
I have heard of some women having successful pregnancies after it but myomectomies have been around for much longer and thousands and thousands of women have successful pregnancies following one.  We are now cycling with a wonderful surrogate (host surrogacy with IVF) and hoping to make our dreams come true.

Good luck

Clare x

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ruth/Essex Girl

I agree with Broody, Baxy and Els, I went down the same route, thinking it sounded good but when I looked into it I didn't think it was really the right thing to do especially if you were keen to achieve a pregnancy afterwards and in my case it would have been disaster as I had so many fibroids. A myo isn't that bad, I am 3 months post op and trying naturally now.  Whatever you decide to do this board is a lifeline!  :)

Cbee - so sorry to hear what happened to you, that must have been hell.  Good luck with your cycling!

Kiwichick

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear everyone

Many thanks for your replies.  I was very sorry to hear of your experience, Clare, and I do hope you will be successful with your surrogate host.  You certainly deserve it  ^reiki^

My consultant recommended me to someone at St Marys and I received some info from them about embolisation, though that did say it was not recommended for women hoping to get pregnant.  We haven't gone with St Marys because we are going on the NHS through my local hospital - it's £5,000 to go privately and we don't have medical insurance. My GP has been helpful and got me referred as an urgent case, because of my age (42 next month), so hopefully I will know fairly soon how long I have to wait.  At least with the Myo, you can start TTC again 3 months after the op.

I will discuss the options with the consultant and let you know the outcome.  I'm encouraged that Baxy is basically over it 3 weeks after the op - one of the things which is troubling me a bit about the myo is how long you are out of action for.  I read somewhere that you can't drive for 6 weeks afterwards (so 6 weeks off work...it's not all bad!).

As I say, many thanks for your help and support.  I will sign onto the main fibroid board and see you there

Ruth X

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just to let you know, I am off work for six weeks, not such a hardship!! I think that's what we have all done post op.  I started driving 3 weeks after. I really am fine and so happy that I have had it done.  I think I had a very easy op as I only had one that had shrunk with Zoladex but we have all been through Myos with different shapes, sizes and numbers on the fibroid board and someone there will have been through what you have to go through.  The girls there really have been my life line and a shudder to think how I would have got through it all without them.
See you over there, we are a gossipy bunch!!  ^gossip^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.