Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've just recently been diagnosed with three fibroids; one is 3cm, one is 2cm and the third was smaller, so they didn't bother to measure it.  The first two are distorting my uterus and blocking my left(?) tube.

I wondered if any of you have had similar problems, and is you can give e some idea on how they might treat me.  I've taken the news pretty hard (only found out this a/noon) and I am pretty scared.  :'(  Don't know what to expect... don't know what I should ask for...

Can anyone ^help^???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Broodygirl,

I suffer with fibroids and found this out about 18 months ago. It also took me by shock, because I had never even heard of such things before.  But you will find that once you start talking about them, depending on your age of course, a lot of women will have had them or know someone who has had them. There do not however seem to be many women who have them and have not yet had children.

I have read quite a lot about fibroids and it is important that you do the same. Some fibroids affect fertility, some do not. Lots of women get pregnant and have babies with fibroids but it really does depend on where your fibroids are and their size. I had a operation to recover mine in July because I felt that it was preventing me from having children, but believe me it was a difficult decision. Anyway there is so much to say on the subject but if you have any questions please ask and I hope I can help. The main thing is - it doesn't mean you cant have children.

With regards to treatment they may decide to leave them alone and tell you to keep trying for a while , they may suggest  keyhole surgery, or they may suggest abdominal surgery later. Whats your age? How long have you been trying for a baby. Who discovered your fibroids? Sorry to ask so many questions but these are allimportant factors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Broodygirl

In addition to the above, I would say it is very important to discuss all the available treatments with your doctor.

There is a relatively new treatment for fibroids which I think all women should know about, but doctors either seem unwilling or are ignorant of it.  It is a procedure called Fibroid Embolisation, done under local anastaetic by an Interventional Radiologist, in which the arteries giving blood to the fibroids are blocked, so that the fibroids shrink, usually by about 50%.  It may or may not be the best treatment for you, but I think it's really important to know what all the options are, and not just the quite limited ones a gynaecologist might offer.

There are two very useful and informative websites at www.fibroids.me.uk and www.femisa.org.uk.  The latter is run by women who have had the procedure, and there is a facility to email them with any questions you might have.  I know from personal experience that they are very knowledgable and thorough in their response!  I also now that there have been a number of successful pregnancies after the procedure, although if you have no other symptoms from your fibroids, they would be unlikely to offer this treatment.

Hope all this helps, and really good luck with whatever you decide to do.

xxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh thanks ladies! I've been so scared since I found out. Well, I've known for a couple of years that I had 2 fibroids, but was told they were only little and nothing to worry about. Now I have 3 and the two larger ones are 3 and 2cm. One is at the front and one is at the back of the womb and they are distorting the uterus and one tubes is completely blocked (don't know if this is due to the fibroids).

Cheryl-Anne - I am 33 and we have been TTCing #! since May 1998. I got Pg once only to M/c at 7 wks.

I was so scared (still am), that this may mean we can never have children of our own. I admit to not knowing very much about fibroids, but to that end, I'm going to take your advice and find out more about them. Thanks for the reassurances. I really needed that!

Brighid - Thank you so much for the info and for the links. That's a good place for me to start! I'm just still in shock. The news I've learned (on Friday a/noon) has really knocked me for six. I suppose the more I know, the better I'll feel.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Broody Girl,
Don't give up hope. As long as this is your only problem I think you have a chance especially since you have achieved pregnancy once before. Sorry to hear that you m/c'd.

Has your partner been checked just to eliminate male factor?
I had nine fibroids removed in July the biggest of which was 7cm and uterus was also very distorted. I have recovered from the operation but guess what - there is still one there which is about 3cm.

The main issue surrounding an abdominal myomectomy is
there is a chance that you may have to have a hysterectomy if you end up bleeding to much and this is really scary issue. But I reasoned with myself  for a year before deciding on this approach. If you do decide to go down this road I would be happy to give you more details as to how I made my decision .
Your surgeon may be able to remove yours  laparoscopically.

A book that I found really good and a bit more personal than medical is one called Fibroids by Joanna Skilling. You can order it from most bookshops. It is one of very few books dedicated to this subject and is a welcome change from constantly trawling the web.

It also highlights changes to your diet which I take quite seriously  because there is a theory that you can have an effect on the rate at which they grow. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much Cheryl Anne!  I'll definately get that book!  In fact I'm just going to order it from Amazon today...

It's great to hear from someone else whose been thru' smth similar - but 7 firbroids!  Wow! How is it going for you now?  I have my fingers crossed for you that you'll be duffers before you know it. 

My hubby has been chacked out for MFI and it's not an issue for us.  His swimmers are fighting fit, so the only hurdles in our way are my issues.  Like you say, those are all treatable.  I just got a shock when I got the news.  I really am a cowardy custard... and the thought of another lap just sent me over the edge!  :-[

I'm better now though (thank Goodness!).  And thanks so much for your offer of help... I really appreciate it, and I may take you up on that!  ;)

Love Jacqueline. 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts