Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I have been on here before, but not for a while, so thought I'd drop in for a 'chat'.

I'm slightly put out, actually, as I see strands on here for PCOS, Endometriosis and a host of other conditions affecting fertility, but nothing about Fibroids - how come?

Anyway, the reason I'm here really is because I was at the hospital on Friday for a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. I'm finding the more people I tell about this the better I feel, so here goes.......

The surgeon did not do the laparoscopy because he discovered that I have a large uterus (16-18cm), containing 7 or 8 fibroids, the biggest of which is 6cm. He still did the hysteroscopy and a D+C.

Afterwards he told me that the chances of my conceiving are very slim, and if I did the risk of miscarriage would be very high, because of the fibroids. Then he said that it was very likely I would need a hysterectomy in 2 or 3 years' time.

I am only 32, and did not appreciate being told this at all, especially when I know there are alternatives to hysterectomy to treat fibroids, which he didn't mention at all.

I have to go for a HSG next, to see if my tubes are clear, and discuss options from then on, but I just wanted to vent spleen in the meantime.

Thanks for listening!!

Love Debi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi

I have sent you an email! ;D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi there,

I know what what you mean - i was a bit miffed that there is no fibroids board as well!

I too have fibroids. They werent picked up by the consultant that we saw when we were first referred for infertility tests and it was only in March this year when we were referred to an IVF consultant that it was suggested that they should be removed before attempting IVF. Consequently I am now seven weeks post op for a myomectomy, which removed the fibroids on the outside of my womb. ( I think a different procedure would be required if your fibroids were inside your womb - there is loads of info on the internet regarding this). I am also booked in to have a hysteroscopy to see what is going on inside. Anyway, my op went well and I had 7 or 8 fibroids removed, the largest being bigger than the womb itself! We have now been referred for IVF to a private hospital.

If I were you I would maybe try and get more info from the surgeon as to the location of your fibroids. I would then definitely get a second opinion from another consultant or maybe get a private consultation if you can afford it to explore any other options available to you.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Hi Debi and Moomin

Sorry to hear you are having fibroid problems - I hope you both manage to get them sorted very very soon.

In the meantime, Jac is so so right .......

jac said:
Hey girls........
Dont get miffed.......just make the suggestion!!

Thanks for raising the topic..........but for future reference, dont get miffed, make change!!!!!!! ;D
But just one thing to say to you, Jac ....

jac said:
I am on the management team of FF, and I too have a large fibroid.........so perhaps I am at fault for never suggesting that we have a thread of our own. I apologise for that girls.
Hun, you may have a fibroid and you may be part of the management team BUT you alone cannot be expected to think of everything. Infact we as a management team cannot be expected to think of everything. So don't you apologise. We need our members opinions and suggestions!
Ok - that's me "telling you off" in the nicest possible way, of course. ;) :) ;)

Love
Dee
xxx

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi again,

Thank you management team for taking up our 'suggestion'!

from a grateful and distinctly un-miffed
moomin

PS I love your site!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone!

I too have a nasty fibroid which has given me such pain!! Unfortunately nothing can be done as i am now 17wks pregnant (ivf) they are just hoping it doesnt grow anymore!!

Thanks for starting the thread and lots of luck to everyone who is under going treatment.
Has anyone else had fibroids whilst pg would be helpful to know how people coped.

Thanks again
juju xxxx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi everyone,

How fortuitous that I've found this thread - just come back from an emergency hosp appt - i'm 14w pg FET - after having really sharp stitchy/crampy pains high up above my belly button. The Dr told me it was my fibroid. I knew I had one from the 12w scan, but as it was relatively small (3cm) and on the top and outside of the uterus they didn't really make much comment. So although I feel a bit reassured - it is bloomin' painful!! It really only started today and has been a bit on and off - is that what yours is like juju? It really hurt to walk too. And i'm flying off to spain next week for a short hol and now i'm worried it will get worse!! I'm such a wimp!

Any advice on what it gets like or what to do greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on your pg juju!!

lots of love
jojo xx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi

I too have a fibroid, mine is in my womb... i asked the hospital if it would have any affect on my icsi conception..they said no and if i was to get pregnant the blood supply would be cut off to the fibroid thus it shrinking!
Hope this helps
Good luck all
Love
Sid*
xx

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi girls

I have two fibroids, discovered on the base line scan. I am now pregnant and reading all this has made me worried. They said at the time they should not hinder the ivf because of where there at.

Sanity - what do you mean when you say the blood supply should be cut off? Is that because all the blood is going to the baby?
I am worried about them growing bigger, I didn't know they could grow that big!

Love Hollie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Holly

Yes thats what they said @ kings...The blood supply would go to the baby.
Take care
Love
Sid*
XX
PS.When i was having my icsi my fibroid grew a bit...but nothing significant.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi all

When I had a scan to check the follicles during IVF they found a fibroid, possibly caused by the drugs or so they said!
It was at the top of my uterus and didn't affect the embryo implanting or the resulting pregnancy!!!
It grew a little during pregnancy but seems to have shrunk again now!

Not sure if this helps any of you or not

Sara ^daisy^

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, I also have fibroids, but only 5 around 2-4cm and my tubes are totally blocked. My surgeon told me after my laparoscopy that he could take them out because I hadn,t had a family yet.(although it would be at least a year before I could go for IVF) I am at present going through IVF and the Dr at the clinic says everything is looking OK so far. If I were you I'd go back to the doctors and see if they can offer any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies am so glad i am not alone!!!
My doc told me it was the pregnancy that was feeding the fibroid all the hormones make it grow!!!

Hi jojo yes i was off work for a couple of weeks with the pain had to go to hosp at one point thought i was losing bub but a scan revealed all was fine but it was the fibroid causing all the pain!!! Congratulations on your pg as well ;D and i hope you enjoy hols !!

Hi sid hope your doc was right and mine wrong and best of luck with the treatment ;D

Hi sara thanks for your info too it does help!

Toots best of luck with the ivf hope all goes well!!

Love to everyone else and thanks again

love juju xx

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 3 fibroids, the 1st was discovered at my initial IVF consultation. The position of it meant I had 2 hysteroscopies to reduce it (removing it would have put a hole in the wall of my womb) as it would have obstructed ET. My 1 attempt at IVF failed but I was soooo lucky to conceive naturally a couple of months later despite being told by consultant it'd never happen. I had a bleed at 6 & again at 7 weeks into my pregnancy but EPC reckoned my baby was pushing the fibroid & causing it to bleed. They then discovered another 2 fibroids & advised they would probably grow therefore I'd most likely be induced at 36 or 37 weeks. I did have some pain thru the pregnancy but don't know if it was the fibroids. Thankfully they didn't grow too much & I was induced only a few days before EDD but this was becoz I had gestational diabetes. I now have a healthy, gorgeous dd so even the most learned docs can't be right all of the time!

take care
Jacq x

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

A hysterectomy wasn't even mentioned when the removal of my fibroids was discussed. However embolisation was not discussed as an alternative either.

If anyone else has had a myomectomy I also have a question. First af post op came as expected two weeks after op (cd31), therefore i expected everything to be back to normal. However it is now cd40 and still no sign of af. I think this is normal but would just like some reassurance. This type of op can send your hormones a bit do-lally for a time can't it?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
hi girls - another Fibroid ff here I have a 6cm Fibroid (called Freddy) which I must have had for 10 years now and last year I underwent embolisation procedure at the Churchill Hosp in Oxford under Dr Nigel Cowan - Radiologist there
I was in overnight and op was done under Xray control with me under sedation. the hope is of course to reduce the blood flow thru the uterine arteries to cut off supply to the Fibroid
well, while I believe it has shrunk to around 4cm it has certainly taken pressure off my bladder (mine is in the muscle wall not uterus) and generally halved the flow of my periods - thank god!! were heavy and clots +++
the downside of it may be that it can apparently affect the womb lining thickness afterwards and I have not achieved pg yet

cost is £2500 as was not recognised by my local authority then as approved op
I also bled heavily for 2 weeks post-op(not normal) and defo needed my 6 weeks off work to recover - so all in all I feel I have gained from it but no pg

hope this helps somebody - feel free to IM me if you need more info

Sarah xx :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi girls

I just had my 6 week scan which showed up one lovely baby sac with heartbeat but also showed a fibroid. This had never showed up on any previous scans during treatment.

The clinic say that it is well out of the way of blob (the baby). The brief research I have done says that they do increase in size with an increase in female hormones i.e. when pregnant so this might explain the sudden appearance?

I've been told not to worry, but that is difficult is it not when the nurse gets a second opinion and then says she will speak to consultant and let me know!

Now worried that as blob grows the fibroid will too and it could cause blob to miscarry.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Love
LindaJane
:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi girls,

LJ - sorry I cant offer any specific advice for you but congrats on your pregnancy and I do know that many women cope with a pg and fibroid/s with no problems at all so dont panick.

For the others on here I hope I can offer help and advice. I'm a bit of an old hand with the fibroids issue! I have been dx with them for about 7 years in total and during that time have had a total of 5 ops - either to investigate or remove them. I have had multiple fibroids ( and I means loads - they lost count) some are quite small, largest 4cm. And did have a very enlarged uterus. Whilst I have been told that ultimately a hystorectomy is the optimum solution to heavy periods, in the short to medium term there are things they can do to retain your fertility so please dont give up hope and make sure you get referred to a good consultant.

Ive had three resections of fibroids, the latest hysteroscopically to remove them internally from lining and am told it was successful to have removed as many as possible to now progress to IVF ( for those that know me for personal reasons I am not going ahead at the moment.

It is a good idea to 'time' a resection of fibroids just before IVF starts, if you leave it there is a chnace they can recur or grow back, and in some cases they cant keep removing them and retain your womb intact - but Ive had a fair few removed and as far as we know my womb is still in working order. All ops were NHS too and because I kicked up a fuss I got treated fairly quickly too.

Speak to your GPs and get a referal and good luck with your fibroids and tx. Any questiosn feel free to mail me.

Max
x

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi girls,

LJ - sorry I cant offer any specific advice for you but congrats on your pregnancy and I do know that many women cope with a pg and fibroid/s with no problems at all so dont panick.

For the others on here I hope I can offer help and advice. I'm a bit of an old hand with the fibroids issue! I have been dx with them for about 7 years in total and during that time have had a total of 5 ops - either to investigate or remove them. I have had multiple fibroids ( and I means loads - they lost count) some are quite small, largest 4cm. And did have a very enlarged uterus. Whilst I have been told that ultimately a hystorectomy is the optimum solution to heavy periods, in the short to medium term there are things they can do to retain your fertility so please dont give up hope and make sure you get referred to a good consultant.

Ive had three resections of fibroids, the latest hysteroscopically to remove them internally from lining and am told it was successful to have removed as many as possible to now progress to IVF ( for those that know me for personal reasons I am not going ahead at the moment.

It is a good idea to 'time' a resection of fibroids just before IVF starts, if you leave it there is a chnace they can recur or grow back, and in some cases they cant keep removing them and retain your womb intact - but Ive had a fair few removed and as far as we know my womb is still in working order. All ops were NHS too and because I kicked up a fuss I got treated fairly quickly too.

Speak to your GPs and get a referal and good luck with your fibroids and tx. Any questiosn feel free to mail me.

Max
x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I'm still new to the site so not sure if i am doing this right. Just had our first appointment for icsi, and the consultant thinks i may have a fibroid she couldn't tell if it was in the muscle wall or in or in the cavity of the uterus. She has recommended i go for an x ray hsg i think. I only have one ovary but don't ovulate anyway and pcos.dh has very low count.
jotty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts