Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

this might seem like a really neurotic question but is it safe to have a filling when you are pregnant?  I was at the dentist last week and he said I need to get one of my fillings redone, he said that if I have amalgam i have to wait until after the baby is born but if I have a white filling I can have it now.  i have chosen to go for a white filling in a few weeks but once I came away from the dentist i started to worry about having the filling and the effects on bubs with the anesthetic.  Do you think there is anything to worry about? I am thinking of cancelling.

Red

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Hi Red,

Your dentist is right about the amalgam filling -- a no-no in pregnancy because it contains mercury. The white ones are fine as well as the anesthetic. I need to do an implant asap (oh horror!) and both my dentist and my very over-cautious gyn/ob said not a problem with the anesthetic. Just make sure to tell the dentist you are pg and if you are taking any blood thinning medicines or steroids.

Another thing to avoid totally is an x-ray - but I'm sure you know that already.

Mayve 

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi
I work as a dental nurse, your dentist is right about waiting but can i just ask is it a new filling? or have you got an amalgam in the tooth already? if you have an amalgam filling already i would wait until after the baby is born I've done quite a bit of research as I'm working with amalgam as for the anaesthetic this is OK as long as your past the first trimester hope that helps.
shallot xx

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Shallot -

If needing to do a dental implant wasn't enough  ^bigbad^ the other day a piece of my tooth broke off in a molar with an amalgam filling. I was quite concerned about mercury leakage (although the filling is eons old) and today the dentist took out the old amalgam and replaced it with a white filling. When I expressed my concern about the safety of the removal of the old filling he said that he would never put a new one on someone who is pg but taking out an old one is next to nothing risk of mercury inhalation because it is already hard and if they have to drill it a bit they use the aspiration on the device so really no risk at all.

The work is already done, but I am still wondering if the removal was the best option.

What do you think?

thanks
mayve 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts