Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm very much an ICSI virgin here, so will apologise in advance for any glaring errors! I started down-regging for my first ICSI cycle on Thursday 25th August and will start sniffing Buserilin today. I can't belive it's happening now as we seem to have waited an eternity to get here! One minute I'm full of hope and optimism  ^reiki^ and the next the realism creeps in that there is a good chance that it may not work :(

I have PCOS and DH has anti-sperm antibodies (there are lots of them but the little blighters aren't getting far!)

Could someone tell me which they preferred for stimming - I've got the option of Gonal-F or Menopur - whilst I know the difference in cost, preparation and make-up, I'd be interested to know if the side fx are easier to handle on one or the other.

Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for us all!

Jacqui

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Jacqui

Couldn't really comment on the downregging side as I have been on SP for all of my cycles, I have however been taking Menopur all 3 times and have had no problem with it at all

Good Luck
Jen x

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Jacqui

Sorry but I can't comment either although I've been given Menopur for stimming (we weren't given a choice!!). 

I'm also on my 1st ICSI & started sniffing today. How are you feeling?  Are you suffering from any side-effects? I'm on Supracur which is Buserilin - I've started to get a bit fuzzy headed & feel a bit tired..early days yet!!

Good luck with your tx

Ronnie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jen - no problem, I guess I'll have a chat with my nurse again - as usual the main difference seems to
be cost!

Hi Ronnie - I started taking Buserelin (Suprefact) on Satuday - I've not had any major side effects yet, but drove to my parents on Saturday morning and had to go to bed for a couple of hours in the afternoon as I just couldn't keep my eyes open! (It's only just over an hour away!) I'm not constantly tired, just seem to tire more easily. Funnily enough DH is treating me with kid gloves at the moment, in anticipation of the mood swings - watch this space!

Good luck to you both in your tx

Jacqui

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Jacqui

I was originally prescribed suprefact but the pharmacy ran out of stock & I was given suprecur instead! Do you have to take yours every 6 hours?  If so, do you have to get up in the middle of the night to have a dose??? (sorry, I'm a drug virgin!!!) My dosage is every 8 hours so I have to stay up until 11pm to have my last dose & I'm soooooo knackered!!!

I've already warned my dh of possible side-effects & told him to pamper me for the next 6 weeks!!

Speak soon

Ronnie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ronnie

What a pain - I'm normally shattered by 9pm let alone staying up til 11! I've been told to take the Suprefact every 4 hours - they give you an example of taking one sniff at 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm and then 2 doses at bedtime - it makes sense so that's what I'm doing. I'm getting used to it, although starting to feel a bit like a coke addict!

I've got another day of Norethisterone to go (along with the usual daily ProNatal Vits and Metformin for the PCOS) then await the arrival of dear AF. I'm already starting to feel like a walking pharmacy!

DH is also on mood alert and is so far counting his blessings as I am relatively calm - at the moment!

Take care and hope you get some sleep!

Jacqui

·
Registered
41 Posts
hello jacqui

im also on my first icsi cycle! im so glad to come across someone who is also new to all this. i live in sa and the drugs that i have been given are completely different to yours. so, cant help you with any info on side effects. we dont have a site like this in my country and i wish we did cos no one seems to be able to help me with side effects on my drugs! :(

anyway best of luck to you. hopefully this will be your first and last cycle!! :)

siddiqah

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Siddiqah

Whereabouts in SA are you? Have you tried searching on Google for the drugs that you are taking - you may find some info from the manufacturers or be able to compare your drugs with ours. A lot of the drugs have similar compositions, but have different brand names. Otherwise is there a support network at your clinic or a nurse available to answer questions?

I hope the fx aren't too bad for you

Take care and good luck!

Jacqui

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Jacqui

Are you getting the hang of sniffing yet?  One nostril is fine & I can squirt it all the way up & straight down to the back of my throat, but the other one doesn't want to play & it comes straight back down!!!

Do you change drugs when you get your AF then? What is Norethisterone? Which hospital are you having the tx?

Speak soon

Ronnie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ronnie

Thankfully the sniffing is ok at the moment - goes straight back every time, though remembering to do it in work is another matter! I'm sure it doesn't matter too much if you just use the one nostril though?

I was told to start down-regging on Norethisterone on 25/08 for 7 days and to start sniffing on 27/08 until the final HCG injection. I think the Norethisterone is to bring on dear old AF, which should start any day now, as I took the last one yesterday. I then get a scan/blood test on 09/09 and should hopefully start Stimming on 14/09. They've given me the option of Menopur or Gonal-F - I haven't decided which yet, so will start e-mailling/phoning for quotes from this weekend.

We're being treated at Bristol CRM - once again a victim of the postcode lottery with no NHS option available for us - hence the need to save as much as possible on the drugs!

How about you, what other drugs are you on/going to take? How are the team at Barts treating you?

I presume you are still up awaiting your last dose of Suprefact, so will wish you goodnight for now

Look forward to chatting soon

Jacqui
x

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Jacqui

How are you today? Are you enjoying the sunshine?

I think it's awful that even though the government said every woman (subject to criteria!) should be able to have at least 1 go of IVF from this April, it's not happening in some areas. It's like getting your hopes high & then dashing it again!

I'm on supracur for 3 weeks. Have a baseline scan on the 13th September & then if I've been good, I get to inject (menopur) as well as sniff for a couple of weeks. 2/3 more scans during that time. Then hopefully EC/ET w/c 26 September (pessaries? Sorry but haven't looked that far ahead yet..all the drugs faze me!!) Is Norethisterone an injection? If so, where do you have to inject?

Bart's is OK. All the staff apart from 1 (so far!) have been very good. Unfortunately they fall down on their admin side though. How about Bristol CRM? What are they like?

It's our wedding anniversary today & we're going for a meal. Better get ready!!

Take care & speak soon

Ronnie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Ronnie

^anniversary^  How many years is it? I hope DH is taking you somewhere special! Have a lovely evening together - hopefully this time next year it'll be the three (or four?!) of you celebrating together!

The Norethisterone were tablets - 2 a day. My baseline scan is this Friday at 8.10am - hopefully  ^witch^ will have arrived by then, otherwise will have to reschedule. All being well, I estimate EC and ET around 21st-23rd Sept - fingers crossed . . .

Bristol have been ok so far. I was referred to St Michael's Hopital (NHS) initially in Jan 04 where they did all the usual blood & cm tests, then a Laparoscopy, Hysteroscopy & Dye last November and when my Doctor finally agreed in May (almost 18 months later) that there were no more avenues to go down, she passed me onto the private sector. Ironically, I am still seeing the same Doctor! They seem to have a good record on ICSI - above the national average - so am trying to stay positive  ^reiki^  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

It's been a really gorgeous weekend here - however, we are in the middle of having a kitchen put in which is finally coming to an end, so I spent most of the time running around looking for wall tiles and cleaning! Did a bit of gardening on Sunday though which was nice, but not much time to laze around unfortunately!

Anyway - have a wonderful night tonight

Chat soon

Jacqui
x

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Jacqui

We celebrated 6 years yesterday - I'm surprised that dh hasn't divorced me by now!!!! We had a lovely day..went to Brighton Marina in the afternoon & in the evening we went to a carvery restaurant which was really lovely. All in all a brilliant time was had by the both of us. 

I've been sniffing for a week now & my AF was due today. Wonder if AF's usaully come on time when we're down regging?  I can't wait to have mine cos my boobs are soooooooo painful!

Your hospital does sound good. Do you get to see the same consultant every time? Good luck on Friday.  I've got mine next Tuesday.

I bet your kitchen looks gorgeous but can't wait until everything's back in its place again. It's lovely having home improvement but the mess and chaos is such a nightmare!

Off to Pilates for the first time (eek!)

Speak soon

Ronnie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HI Ronnie

Glad you had a good day on Sunday - Brighton must have been beautiful in all that glorious sunshine!

Has your A/F arrived yet? Mine is still not here yet which is not unusual for me as it is only day 31 (I've been anything from 32-38 days in the last 6 months) but I haven't had any symptoms yet either - sore boobs, spotting etc. It'd better come by Friday, as I don't want to have to reschedule the scan . . .

Yes, fortunately, I see the same consultant every time, plus I have a named nurse who supports me through all the drug regime, which is good.

How did the Pilates go? I've never been, but tried Yoga at the start of this year for 10 weeks - it was ok, but I was hoping it'd be a bit more strenuous - was full of retired ladies,so a bit too sedate for me! We went on holiday to India last year and had an intro to Yoga outside a Hindu Temple in a clearing in the jungle - that was really hard going  - the instructor must have been made out of rubber to get into some of those positions! Ouch!

Anyway, must run - got to make supper for DH and friend (the kitchen fitter!)

Chat soon

Love

Jacqui

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Jacqui

Brighton is gorgeous! Just a nightmare to get into when the weather is great cos everyone else want to spend the day there as well!!

No sore boobs?? You lucky lucky thing!! Mine are sooooooooo sore I have to hold onto them whilst walking up & down the stairs! No, AF hasn't arrived yet but I've been in a funny mood all day so I'm sure it's imminent. I think dh was glad to be out tonight just to get away from me!!!

I think in Bart's you mainly see the nurse even if you go private, so you're lucky you have the same nurse. At least they'll get to know you whilst you're going through tx.

Pilates was very good, gentle but at the same time, we were made to use all the different muscles so we left feeling like we've done something!!! Did you enjoy India?

Have a lovely evening.

Ronnie

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi girls!

I started sniffing burserlin on Aug 31st!  I'm currently on day 7 and I haven't had any side effects yet so I hope its working. 

Soulcyster

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Soulcyster

You lucky thing!!! I've read up on this drug on this website & it seems like it affects everyone differently...some people get all the symptons & other lucky people (ie you!) get away with it scot free! I think the general consensus is that if you can feel it going down the back of your throat after sniffing (think of the horrible bitter taste), then you're doing it right!

I started sniffing on bank holiday Monday so we're about the same time.  When's your baseline scan?  Which hospital are you at?

Speak soon

Ronnie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Ronnie

Spoke too soon - took my bra off last night and ouch!!! However still no AF so spoke to Nurse this moning, who reassured me that I don't need to reschedule Friday's 8am scan unless my period hasn't arrived Friday morning so can leave it til the last minute. Has your's arrived yet? Don't you think it's weird that every month we hope and pray that AF won't arrive and are now desperately hoping the witch'll turn up asap! Oh well, nobody ever said this was going to be easy.

Glad you had fun at the Pilates and hope you are not aching too much today! India was amazing - we went to the Southern part of Goa just before last Xmas - if it wasn't for the fact that I'd need to take anti-malarial drugs, I'd go back there tomorrow! Have you and DH been away this year? We just took a week at the end of May to Halkidiki but haven't been anywhere since then. Will probably take some time out towards the end of the year again.

Anyway hope you are not feeling to grotty if AF is here!

Chat soon

Jacqui

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Soulcyster

Good to hear from you. Don't worry, you are not alone! I'm on Buserelin too and other than occasionally feeling a bit tired, I've not had any side fx at all. None of the dreaded mood swings (which has made dh breathe an enormous sigh of relief - although I haven't told him about the fx on stimming yet!) and I don't feel too bloated either.

Good luck and keep in touch

Jacqui

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Jacqui

Yes!! AF is showing signs of arriving..yippee!!! Hope yours is here soon!! It is strange praying for AF to arrive when we've spent years dreading the damn thing! It'll prob hit me like a train tomorrow..will have the paracetamols at the ready!

I've had friends who have been to Goa & absolutely adored it. They loved the people & the way the guests are treated like royalty! We spent a week in Egypt (Taba) snorkelling & generally chilled out in July. We had a great time but it was sooooooooo hot!

What are the fxs on stimming??

Fingers crossed for your AF to arrive very soon!!!

Take care

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.