Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how I stubbled across your site, but I'm here and having spent the last 5 mins scanning it, it looks great!

My situation: came off the pill in April 06, after getting married and basically haven't had a natural period since. After waiting a few months went to my GP who did various blood tests and eventually refered me to St Helier's assisted conception unit for NHS treatment. Was a bit baffled by this referal as my initial goal was to discover why my periods haven't returned, not to try to conceive. Anyway, was given provera which didn't do anything and then noresthisterone which did induce a period. Then was given clomid which did nothing so they doubled the dose which also did nothing. Next they put me on tamoxifen, which did produce a follicle but don't know if there was an egg as I didn't conceive. However, St hellier were satisfied that tamoxifen worked and discharged me telling me to try it for 6 months and put me on the NHS waiting list for IVF (having been told, like others i think that i'll probably be 37 before i receive any treatment). I'm currently 33.

So tried the tamoxifen without any scanning and I didn't get a period and because i really hate putting all these drugs inside me i decided to give up. Then i went down the natural route and did 2 months of accupuncture and chinese herbs at a herbalist, which did nothing and i just felt like they were coning me out of money. So then i wnet back to my GP to get a private referal and am currently at Parkside hospital. Within the first session i was diagnosed with PCOS (finally i could put a name to it as before they were saying i was boarderline). SO the consultant has put me on Metformin. I would be interested to know what others think of metformin and it's success rates?? I do not have classic PCOS symptoms, i'm a health weight and don't have acne etc. I'm currently taking 4 tablets a day and having done this for the last 2 months nothing has happend, no follicles and a very thin lining. The only benefit is i've lost a couple of pounds in weight. Anyway my consultant has now suggested superovulation using Letrozole and injections plus timed intercourse. He said that this method was as successful as IUI - is this true??? He has recommended me trying this for 6 cycles and if this doesn't work to go for IVF. I hate taking all these fertility drugs (metformin is fine) and IVF scares the hell out of me, so if i can get this to work i think it's worth a shot. My FSH level is 9, which he said was quite high.

Anyway i've realised once i started writing i've got quite a long story to tell already. Like everyone else i'm sure, i just want to try to sort this out, and obviously get pregnant. What frustrates me is the time everything takes and the amount of time you waste. I wish i'd gone private 2 years ago!! And what is especially hard is more and more friends getting pregnant, i'm happy for them of course but each time i hear the news i find it so upsetting. I don't understand how it's so easy for some people....

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hiya Dotts
Firstly welcome to FF you will find loads of advice and support, I am pleased that like you say you have a name for you IF, and hopefully you can move forward.....I have had 2 attempts at ICSI both ended in BFN :'( it was our only option, it such a rollercoaster ride..like you you when i saw the drugs i had to take i could'nt believe it, i had a close family member who also went through IVF so i knew a fair bit about it even b4 i new we had problems ourselves so it made it easier for me when it came to taking meds. IVF/ICSI isn't 4 everybody its a big decision to make!! I would just say gather all the information and  speak to professionals. Whatever you decide to do I wish you loads of luck and lets hope we both get our BFP :) :).
Hayleigh xxxx

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Hello dotts, welcome to Fertility Friends. :)

Oh my why on earth did your NHS consultants not diagnose PCOS? ??? Honestly that's bad, even if you were borderline with no other symptoms, they should have tried that therapy for you. I am sorry you've had to go private to find this out. For what it's worth, I think what you are being advised to do sounds quite a sensible plan, however if you have not yet had your tubes checked it might well be worth doing so as there would be no point inducing ovulation if the egg can't get through. Might cost a bit (although you might be able to get it on NHS but worth it for the lack of wasting time. And I would definitely go back to your GP with the diagnosis you have been given and ask questions as to why it wasn't picked up on! ^bigbad^
I can't asnwer your question on whether it would be as successful as IUI but I would inagine some of the ladies on the IUI thread will have experienced this so perhaps check there.

Here's some links that I hope you will find useful while you are here:

What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) ~ CLICK HERE

PCOS ~ CLICK HERE

IUI ~CLICK HERE

And don't forget to have a bit of fun while you are on FF and check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area:

Girl & Boy talk - Community & Fun Board ~ CLICK HERE

You can also chat live in our excellent chat room. We have a newbie night in the chat room every week (Wednesday at 8pm), where you can meet other new members and get technical support with navigating the site and using all the functions available here. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

You can also "meet" and chat with people in your local area through the Location boards. This is especially useful to find people who may be using the same clinic and or in the same PCT area.

Wishing you lots of luck. I hope you will be posting about your BFP soon! ^reiki^

C~x

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hello Dotts

Everyone on here is so helpful and supportive.

Good Luck for the future

Sonia xx

·
Premium Member
13,830 Posts
Hi Dotts and welcome to the site :)

You have come to a fantastic site full of advice and support and you have been left some great links to try out.

Im so sorry to read all you have been through and having so many problems with being diagnosed. It sounds like you have had a long and frustrating journey so far. I just wanted to wish you luck for the future.

Kate xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts