Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m due to start our first every round of IVF with ICSI this month at the Lister. My partner is azoospermic and is a patient of Mr Ramsay, I have no fertility problems and we have been TTC for 3 years. Our consultant is Dr Marie Wren and has informed me that I’ll be on a short protocol. As much as I’ve researched everything I just wondered if anyone has any tips when starting a cycle ie what foods, supplements to take what not to eat/drink, dos/donts that kind of thing. Also anyone who can enlighten me with a brief day-to-day script during treatment? Thank you in advance for anything shared. Baby dust to us all x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Francessxo
I just had ICSI for the first time so no expert at all but I can tell you the process as it was for me. I had to email the clinic on day 1 of period. They then sent a schedule and ordered the medications to be sent to me. I was on short protocol as well. The schedule was to take tablets for 2 weeks morning and evening. Then the baseline scan was done and then I started injections. First 5 days just 1 injection in the morning. Scan on day 5. Then added the second injection in the evening and scan every 2-3 days. Once there were enough follicles I was given the specific trigger injection to take home. I had to take it at an exact time 00.30 then went in for egg collection 36 hours after. You can't eat on the morning of the EC and water only up to 3 hours before. Take something to read as there is a lot of waiting around. With the covid restrictions my partner couldn't wait in the clinic so bear that in mind.
As for supplements I was already taking the pregnacare conception multivitamin, eating a good diet avoiding sugar, processed food and starchy carbs. I was recommended to eat a good amount of protein so maybe bear that in mind.
I would also say you should try to book some days off work following the EC (as well as the day itself). Mine was a Friday and I was in bed most of the Saturday and had very bad bloating that lasted a week, but I did have an over response to the injections and some people might be fine after a day or 2.
Usually they would transfer 1 embryo 5 days after the EC but mine couldn't go ahead due to OHSS risk. In any case don't plan to do anything strenuous or stressful as hopefully you will be in your 2ww.
I hope that helps and I hope it all goes well for you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Francessxo,

My partner is also azoospermic and a patient of Me Ramsey. We’re also at the Lister too, but I have Dr James Nicopoullos as my consultant.

We’ve been with Jonathan for 3 years, and at the Lister for 2. Our first round was NHS and we switched to private to make things a little easier/quicker after that. We’ve now just finished round 4.

In terms of the IVF/ICSI procedure, as your case sounds similar to mine, i’d assume you and your partner are having a synced egg/sperm retrieval on the same day (the twin rooms at the Lister are really nice, and it’s lovely to be next to your partner in the same room knowing you’re doing this for each other).

You’ll have to call the Lister nurses on day 1 of your period. They’ll then arrange for you to come in for a baseline scan between day 2-4 (mine have always been day 2, but I guess if your period starts on the weekend it may change). Once you’ve had your scan they’ll advise you to start taking your injections (they’ll teach you how - first 2 rounds I followed the sheet very closely, now I’m a pro and could probably prepare it all in my sleep lol). You’ll come in around every other day for scans and a blood test in the mornings to see how your getting on, and they’ll call you in the afternoon of the same day if your bloods have highlighted anything (e.g., if a certain hormone is too high/low they may ask you to take a different dose of your drugs to balance it out). Once your follicles have reached about 20mm in size, they’ll schedule your egg collection and give you instructions on when you should take your trigger injection (to mature your eggs ready for collection). They are also in touch with Jonathan throughout all of this so he’s aware of when the sperm retrieval may land.

In terms of supplements & nutrition, I went to Melanie Brown (Google her or you can find her on insta). She is a fertility nutritionist and works with a lot of Jonathan’s patients. We had a couples consultation and she worked out a plan for both of our needs. She’ll likely put you on the ‘egg sperm salad’ (Mediterranean diet) and advise lots of different supplements to take. To warn you, all of the organic food and supps you’ll need to buy each month are SUPER EXPENSIVE but COMPLETELY WORTH IT. As I said before, our first round was NHS, and before we followed Melanie’s advice. We had zero embryos. Following our visit to Melanie and following her advice for around 9 months (it would have been less, but March lockdown delayed us) (no alcohol or caffeine, both of us lost a tonne of weight, eating as she said and the supplements) and Jonathan commented on how different my partners sperm had been from the first retrieval to the second one: we had swimmers!

We ended up with 2 embryos from that round which unfortunately neither took. As I said, we’re on round 4 now, which gave us 2 embryos (I had both put back in) and as of this morning I still have a bfp, although my official test day is tomorrow! So here’s hoping x

Please feel free to send me a message if you need any support with all of this. I know Jonathan and the Lister like the back of my hand now, so happy to in part any knowledge that may help x

Hello,

I’m due to start our first every round of IVF with ICSI this month at the Lister. My partner is azoospermic and is a patient of Mr Ramsay, I have no fertility problems and we have been TTC for 3 years. Our consultant is Dr Marie Wren and has informed me that I’ll be on a short protocol. As much as I’ve researched everything I just wondered if anyone has any tips when starting a cycle ie what foods, supplements to take what not to eat/drink, dos/donts that kind of thing. Also anyone who can enlighten me with a brief day-to-day script during treatment? Thank you in advance for anything shared. Baby dust to us all x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts