Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post really....its a bit of a long shot but...

I'm due to start IUI in next month or two but have recently been diagnosed with a high anal fistula  :-[.
It's all very embarrasing (and painful!) but basically I need several operations over the next 6-12 months to be able to fix the fistula whilst preserving my continence.  I don't really want to do this because i would have to delay IUI... and I've waited so long already.

My consultant is looking at the possibilty of putting a draining seton in place for duration of treatment and any resulting pregnancy, then doing the surgery after baby  ^reiki^ is born.  I would prefer this I think, but am a bit worried about it.

Just wandered if anyone has had treatment/pregnancy with a draining seton in place??   

I did say it was a long shot!

Martine xx

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
HI,

really sorry that i can't offer any advice as i've never come across this before. I'm sorry you have to go thorugh this. infertility is hard enough on its own ithout added problems so i really feel for you.

I don't know anything about fistula, but just by what you've said it doesn't sound very nice hun. If you waited and had iui and fell pregnant would it make it worse for you?? I mean a baby would put lots of pressure down there wouldn't it??  i guess if your consultant is happy with putting a draining secton in then i would go along with what he has said. Thayre the experts and i can understand you not wanting to put tx off.

Wishing you all the best hun, and sorry i couldn't really be any help.

Lots of luck

Cleo xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply Cleo  ^hugme^

I'd never heard of a fistula until a couple of weeks ago so wasn't sure if i'd get any replies to my post!

Anyway like you say I guess I'll have to trust the experts.  I'm seeing the "bottom doctor" in a couple of weeks so I'll just hope they can sort something out for me.

It would be awful to delay treatment when we are so nearly there.

Martine xx

·
Registered
10,028 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links Drownedgirl  xx

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hello, I'm sorry you are going through this I just wanted to say I have come across fistulas before and that you aren't alone I work in the hospital I better add lol.  I know cleo has asked wouldn't it make it worse?  but on the other hand if you were to get the draining seton in place for while you do your tx and hopefully your tx results in a BFP  ^reiki^ ^reiki^  any further damage can be repaired after child birth as there may be a chance that if you delay your tx wait for another 12 months and during child birth the lining tears again resulting in a more intrusive surgery. 

I hope it all works out for you, I have crohn's and have to see the bottom doctor ALOT and know how you are feeling on the embarrassment side xxxxxxxxx

sarah x

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi there

I suffer from crohns disease and have a perm stoma & Endo, but i've never had a fistula  down there...

I'm sure having a seton will be ok when TTC etc... 

Sending loads of huggs
Gemz xxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts