Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I noticed that many of you are taking flaxseed oil I wondered why specifically this was. I remember reading about it somewhere and cant find out where.
Also I have only found it in liquid(discusting!) or huge capsules, has anyone got any other suggestions?
Thanks
Pixie

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Pixie :) I managed to find it at Sainsbury's! It's in granular form and you can add it to your breakfast cereal, cakes anything really. It tastes alright too like this!
On the pack it says it can help with lots of things, off the top of my head, it mentioned, boosting the immune system, regulating bowel movements, weight loss management, healthier hair and nails I think, and circulation (which is good for fertility!).
Hope that helps ;)
Luv Nat :) xx

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nat
I will go and have a look next time I am in Sainsurys. :)

Pixie

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Happy to help Pixie!
Can't remember exactly what aisle they keep in on, but it's with other health type foods if that makes sense :) It's in a gold packet which you can reseal and keep in the fridge once it's open.
Hope it helps you ;)
luv Nat xx ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Hi ya,

you can take it in capsule form, try holland and barrett. 1000mg to 2000mg a day. it helps to balance the body and helps with all sorts. It contains Essential Fatty Acids* which we surely do not get enough of unless big fish eaters.

*Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)

These essential fats have a profound effect on every system of the body, including the reproductive system and they are crucial for healthy hormone functioning. For men essential fatty acid supplementation is crucial because the semen is rich in prostaglandins which are produced from these fats. Men with poor sperm quality, abnormal sperm, poor motility or low count, have inadequate levels of these beneficial prostaglandins.
http://www.marilynglenville.com/printable/infertility.htm

Go girl!

Charlie xx

/links

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Charlie
Thanks for the info didn't know DH should take it as well!That will no doubt please him  ;D
Pixie

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Errr, doesn't linseed contain false oestrogens?  This would make it less good for blokes but OK for women.  Just a thought........
Lizi

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Hi,
does flaxseed oil do the same sort of thing as evening primrose then?
Claire,
x. :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have been taking flaxseed oil in capsule form for a couple of weeks now. It was recommended to me  by my physiotherapist. I take it because it is supposed to be good for skin and joints etc. I have noted an improvement in my skin. I buy it from a healthfood shop.

I wasn't aware of any fertility benefits, but here's hoping !

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
claire mac said:
Hi,
does flaxseed oil do the same sort of thing as evening primrose then?
Claire,
x. :)
Hi Claire,

Yes, it kind of does. But Evening Primrose shouldn't be taken from O to AF because it can cause uterine contractions.

Louise

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
londonlou said:
But Evening Primrose shouldn't be taken from O to AF because it can cause uterine contractions.

Louise
:eek: Where is this from hun? Just wondering as I have taken this for many years. Is it something obvious that I've missed over the years? I'm not stressing just wondered.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi Nikki

I've read about EPO causing uterine contractions in various places but check out this...

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/epo.html

"Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) should only be taken from menstruation to ovulation. This is because EPO can cause uterine contractions in pregnancy...Since essential fatty acids are necessary, you can take flax seed oil in place of EPO after ovulation. This may be taken throughout pregnancy as well"

Here's some info on flaxseed oil...

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,783,00.html

"Treat menopausal symptoms, menstrual cramps, female infertility and endometriosis. Because the hormone-balancing lignans and plant estrogens (phytoestrogens) in flaxseed oil help stabilize a woman's estrogen-progesterone ratio, they can have beneficial effects on the menstrual cycle, and relieve the hot flashes of perimenopause and menopause. Flaxseed oil may also improve uterine function and thus treat fertility problems. In addition, the essential fatty acids in flaxseed oil have been shown to block production of prostaglandins, hormonelike substances that, when released in excess amounts during menstruation, can cause the heavy bleeding associated with endometriosis"

LiziBee said:
Errr, doesn't linseed contain false oestrogens? This would make it less good for blokes but OK for women. Just a thought........
Lizi
Flaxseed can "Fight prostate problems, male infertility and impotence. The EFAs in flaxseed oil may help to prevent swelling and inflammation of the prostate, the small gland located below the bladder in males that tends to enlarge with age. Symptoms of such enlargement, such as urgency to urinate, may lessen as a result. The EFAs also play a role in keeping sperm healthy, which may be of value in treating male infertility, and they can improve blood flow to the penis, a boon for those suffering from impotence".

Good luck & take care
Natasha :)

/links

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i have been told that flaxseed oil is good for people getting their sperm counts/quality improved.. dh takes it.. i have also heard that the fatty acids etc are good for getting good egg quality..

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Hiya girls

should me and dh be taking flaxseed then?  dh has Wellman + vit C with zinc and I'm taking marylin glenville fert + till I run out then onto Santogen.  should we add in flaxseed?  thanks  :)

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi Flower :)

I think its entirely up to you whether you take Flaxseed Oil....we just take lots of supplements as consultant said won't hurt but we do also eat pretty healthily (with lots of organic produce...and only organic meat & dairy (only eat beef & chicken anyway)....I'm just willing to give anything a go...also, cos I take EPO for my PMT then Flaxseed Oil does the same thing.....

Take care
Natasha

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Thanks Natasha mate, think I will purchase some then. can you get from H&B? xxx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Yeah I bought 1st lot from H&B cos couldn't find in Boots....needed some more so went into Boots today so thought I'd take a look another look & they had some....also Boots are doing 3 for 2 on all vits (not jsut their own brand either).... :) ^afro^

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Thank you  ;)

You know Natasha, you really are a mind of information!!  :-*

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
I'm great at trivial persuit !! ;D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.